OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
True, except still have the opportunity to add a couple young franchise centers.

I wonder which ones are acquirable through the game’s trade logic.... Zegras, Newhook, Glass, Byfield, Stutzle.... I’ll be testing all of that first thing. Maybe even Eichel!

Just keep in mind the college kids aren't in the game.

Zegras will be added as soon as he plays a pro game somewhere, ditto for our guys like Miller and Wall.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
How is the new NHL game? I probably wont buy it until Christmas as i wont start a franchise until After the season starts so the prospects arw updated

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I ... I think you did both. It's certainly a stacked roster, like must win Cup.
That’s why I go for players 25 and under only (Barrie was too cheap to pass). They’ll last me several years. At the deadline I’ll flip Panarin for Laf / Byfield / Raymond and a second. Then the year after trade Gaudreau for the other Hughes. I don’t like having any players older than 30, because their trade value starts to decline around 29-30. If they’re superstars, you get a 2-3 year grace period, but that’s pushing it.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
sooooo EA GMs>IRL GMs
Well ... it’s Franchise Hockey Manager, not EA, which last I checked (in 2014) had a horrible trading engine. FHM is a more polished Eastside Hockey Manager, produced by OOTP (known for its high quality baseball “Football Manager” product). You don’t play the games: it’s a management and coaching simulator and, for my money, the best hockey video game. I suggest you try a demo or find it on Steam (they frequently have sales).

Franchise Hockey Manager - Out of the Park Developments

I’m especially a fan of having authentic historical staff — scouts, assistant coaches and coaches alike. Having Babcock as an assistant coach really has helped develop my young forwards. Thing is, he’s so expensive, Chewing up about $2MM of my $5MM staff budget. Message me if you want more details. I realize this post is a bit all over the place.

Last edited:
Reactions: romba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Well ... it’s Franchise Hockey Manager, not EA, which last I checked (in 2014) had a horrible trading engine. FHM is a more polished Eastside Hockey Manager, produced by OOTP (known for its high quality baseball “Football Manager” product). You don’t play the games: it’s a management and coaching simulator and, for my money, the best hockey video game. I suggest you try a demo or find it on Steam (they frequently have sales).
I played EHM back in the day, boy was Hank BEASTLY in that game

Reactions: CasusBelli

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Competition is a good thing. IMO the best EA NHL game ever (NHL 2004) came at a time when there was a competing franchise as did the best NFL game (ESPN NFL2k5). Early-mid 2000s was a special time for gaming.
They essentially have a monopoly now which lets them release EMBARRASSING, UNFINISHED games like Madden 21

f***ing pisses me off that it’s 2020 and football games are worse than they were 15 years ago. We’re going backwards. These games should be f***ing insane, but we get the same recycled crap that cares more about pushing MUT sales than making a playable game.

I still have NHL 19 and Madden 19, zero chance I buy the new versions anytime soon, until I see massive improvements. I’ll go back and play All Pro 2k7 before I do that.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Competition is a good thing. IMO the best EA NHL game ever (NHL 2004) came at a time when there was a competing franchise as did the best NFL game (ESPN NFL2k5). Early-mid 2000s was a special time for gaming.
Without question NHL 2004 was the best. The improvement over the previous iteration was unlike anything before or we’ve since seen. That game, while imperfect, was sublime. I also liked NHL 2000 because it was my first NHL PC game and 2001 because of the GUI — so polished. NHL 2010 wasn’t bad, but that was also my first console NHL game, so maybe I had just been missing out.

Still, I’ve grown tired of actually playing the games, and now far prefer simulations like EHM and FHM.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
They essentially have a monopoly now which lets them release EMBARRASSING, UNFINISHED games like Madden 21

f***ing pisses me off that it’s 2020 and football games are worse than they were 15 years ago. We’re going backwards. These games should be f***ing insane, but we get the same recycled crap that cares more about pushing MUT sales than making a playable game.

I still have NHL 19 and Madden 19, zero chance I buy the new versions anytime soon, until I see massive improvements. I’ll go back and play All Pro 2k7 before I do that.
NHL 2K from Sega was pretty good. At least I think it was 2K — Bure was still on the Panthers and Luongo had a crap overall rating.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

The Madden thing pisses me off so much. Madden games used to be so f***ing LIT. I bought Madden 19 on sale for 10 bucks. Completely unplayable trash. would have been better to flush a 10 dollar bill down the toilet. f*** EA so hard.

Reactions: romba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The Madden thing pisses me off so much. Madden games used to be so f***ing LIT. I bought Madden 19 on sale for 10 bucks. Completely unplayable trash. would have been better to flush a 10 dollar bill down the toilet. f*** EA so hard.
The excuse that the NHL franchise isn't worth it to invest in used to be true when Madden was awesome. Then EA realized the NHL-pump-the-HUT model works across the board so why waste money on any innovations? It's like the Yankees losing to the Rays. Why spend what the Yankees do when the Rays spend 1/4 and get better results? (Answer: because Cashman sucks at drafting).

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
The greatest NHL game of all time - NHL 2-on-2 Open Ice Challenge. It was like NBA Jam for hockey. Only got a home release on the PS1. If I could find a cabinet of that I'd buy it right now.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Just tried to play a game in NHL 19 and now I’m just f***ing seething. It’s so bad it’s near incomprehensible. And I won the f***ing game lmao.

time to try Resident Evil 7. Hopefully that’ll scare the anger outta me

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Made a few interesting trades in a new FHM game today:

Panarin - Zib - Teravainen (50%)
Gaudreau (50%) - Monahan (50%) - Kakko
Chytil - Lindholm (50%) - Nylander (50%)
Lemieux - McK - Gauthier

Slavin (50%) - Fox
Hughes - Barrie
Hanifin (50%) - Trouba

Shesterkin
Georgiev

Trade summary:
Kreider, Buch, Kravtsov, Lundqvist, Staal, ADA, Strome, Andersson, Hajek, Fast, 2020 3rd, 2021 3rd, 2022 3rd, 2021 4th, 2022 5th

For

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Quinn Hughes, Barrie, Nylander, Hanifin, Slavin.

Did I just fleece the AI or am I nuts?

Sheesh... I put myself on the team as an 82 overall top 4 potential LHD, which I do every year. Other than that I updated the rosters manually (just the trades/FAs) and signed Haula to 1x2.5M.

I’m running:

Panarin - Chytil - Strome
Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Lafreniere - Haula - Kakko (Finnish connect)
Lemieux - Howden - Gauthier
Me - Trouba
Lindgren - Fox
Johnson - ADA
Shesty
Georgie

And enjoying myself quite a bit.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Sheesh... I put myself on the team as an 82 overall top 4 potential LHD, which I do every year. Other than that I updated the rosters manually (just the trades/FAs) and signed Haula to 1x2.5M.

I’m running:

Panarin - Chytil - Strome
Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Lafreniere - Haula - Kakko (Finnish connect)
Lemieux - Howden - Gauthier
Me - Trouba
Lindgren - Fox
Johnson - ADA
Shesty
Georgie

And enjoying myself quite a bit.

Pretty conservative. Here’s my summary:
2505146E-507F-4472-ADB8-6DA237C37EBD.jpeg

Reactions: LokiDog

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Just tried to play a game in NHL 19 and now I’m just f***ing seething. It’s so bad it’s near incomprehensible. And I won the f***ing game lmao.

time to try Resident Evil 7. Hopefully that’ll scare the anger outta me
Update: RE7 is f***ing terrifying

haven’t played a horror game this scary in awhile. And it’s good scary, not cheap. Very silent hill esque levels of anxiety. What’s not happening is more scary than whatever is happening, if that makes sense.

yeah still early in the game I have to keep pausing like a baby

I can’t even imagine the VR. Good lord id land in the hospital with a panic attack

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Update: RE7 is f***ing terrifying

haven’t played a horror game this scary in awhile. And it’s good scary, not cheap. Very silent hill esque levels of anxiety. What’s not happening is more scary than whatever is happening, if that makes sense.

yeah still early in the game I have to keep pausing like a baby

I can’t even imagine the VR. Good lord id land in the hospital with a panic attack

DUDE long time RE fan who held on from play RE7 for years because I wasn't a fan of the shift in First person. BUT IT IS BRILLIANT! No game has given me as many scares as that one. The gameplay is nearly perfect. The survival horror is there in full force. Easily my second favorite in the series after RE remake.

It's just a shame you have to play through the campaign first to unlock the harder difficulty with save 'cassettes' much like ribbons.

Reactions: Raspewtin

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
DUDE long time RE fan who held on from play RE7 for years because I wasn't a fan of the shift in First person. BUT IT IS BRILLIANT! No game has given me as many scares as that one. The gameplay is nearly perfect. The survival horror is there in full force. Easily my second favorite in the series after RE remake.

It's just a shame you have to play through the campaign first to unlock the harder difficulty with save 'cassettes' much like ribbons.
Mannnnn I started the game in normal difficulty and I’m regretting even that. The processing area...f***. The scary AND the difficult shot up so fast lol.

this part reminds me so much of the underground prison in SH2.

also I think the first person perspective is f***ing brilliant. Ratchets up the scary big time.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Mannnnn I started the game in normal difficulty and I’m regretting even that. The processing area...f***. The scary AND the difficult shot up so fast lol.

this part reminds me so much of the underground prison in SH2.

also I think the first person perspective is f***ing brilliant. Ratchets up the scary big time.

RE7 came back to its actual "Resident Evil" roots after playing RE5 and RE6, which were more straight-up action games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad