*The All-Purpose Sean Monahan Thread*

Aug 3, 2010
MacKinnon is pretty impressive though. I watched the Av's first game and he was actually pretty impactful - it was more the quality of his linemates that he couldn't get a chance to put up a point during his shifts. He's EXTREMELY tenacious on and off the puck and I can definitely see what they mean when people mention his compete level. But I also think he has a tendency to do too much. Aside from that, he is a legitimate #1 pick and that's not even a knock on Monahan.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
MacKinnon is pretty impressive though. I watched the Av's first game and he was actually pretty impactful - it was more the quality of his linemates that he couldn't get a chance to put up a point during his shifts. He's EXTREMELY tenacious on and off the puck and I can definitely see what they mean when people mention his compete level. But I also think he has a tendency to do too much. Aside from that, he is a legitimate #1 pick and that's not even a knock on Monahan.

The only knock on MacK so far his probably his FO ability; but that'll come with time I'm certain.

MacK is also playing more meaningful time for the Avs than Monahan is; I think he's averaging like 4 more minutes a game lol. Actually I think in the top 30 rookie scoring (still mega early, so take with a grain of salt) Sven and Sean are playing ridiculously low and sheltered minutes.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I usually like sending these first year kids back. But Monahan might be our 4th or 5th best player already, not to mention our 1st or 2nd best centermen on any give night. This is even more amplified with Stajan out.

I think Monahan is here to stay and I think he can put up 12-23-35. Really solid numbers for an 18 year old.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I usually like sending these first year kids back. But Monahan might be our 4th or 5th best player already, not to mention our 1st or 2nd best centermen on any give night. This is even more amplified with Stajan out.

I think Monahan is here to stay and I think he can put up 12-23-35. Really solid numbers for an 18 year old.

I'm hoping Stajan is hurt for 8 more games :)

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Monahan deserves to be up and he's already in NHL conditioning. At 10-15 minutes a night, it wont hurt his development

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Monahan deserves to be up and he's already in NHL conditioning. At 10-15 minutes a night, it wont hurt his development

Fully agree, realistically, I don't see how going back to Jr helps him, he could go and coast all the way over sub par competition or he can spend the year learning the pro game.

LetsGoFlames

Drop the puck!
Dec 18, 2011
Weyburn, Sk
I'm always wary of draft picks making the NHL in their first year but IMHO Monahan absolutely looks ready for this step. The kid's got a level head and does not at all look intimidated or star-struck out there. He looks great so far. :handclap:

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
|
Nathan MacKinnon​
|
Sean Monahan​
Time to Score First NHL Point |
37:20​
|
5:18​
Time to Score First NHL Goal |
>120:00​
|
67:27​
:^) yesss

12-23-35? Hell, maybe with injuries. I think he could be on pace for 17-35-52.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
:^) yesss

12-23-35? Hell, maybe with injuries. I think he could be on pace for 17-35-52.

Yeah I have to agree. I sold Monahan short on his first year production.

I do think he'll go on a cold spell that could last as long as 20 games where he may only put up 1-3-4 in that stretch. But in the other 60 games he may put up 35-40. So based on that math Monahan should be able to put up 39-44.

As the season wears on I expect the games and minutes to be harder to play.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The pass on his goal and assist we're both great awareness plays.. He knew where to put the puck, can't help but get more and more excited about this kid!!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wanted Lindholm a tad more but man am I glad we got him. He elevates his play when playing with better players. This kid is gonna be special, he's gonna be a big time player.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
He's looking more and more like a future #1 C. Those comments about him being a good #2 are gonna drop off real quick, if they haven't stopped already.

Aug 3, 2010
I wanted Lindholm a tad more but man am I glad we got him. He elevates his play when playing with better players. This kid is gonna be special, he's gonna be a big time player.
Any reason why?

Lindholm is a smaller player by a couple inches, had a couple of injury problems this preseason and has not even a single point in this young season despite having played in a men's league prior to entering the draft.

They are both noted to be smart players on the ice, but I'd rather take the bigger kid who knows how to score in the NHL.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I had Monahan #3 (behind only MacKinnon and Barkov) that I wanted us to get. He is the perfect fit and I think he is going to continue to surprise people with how well he does offensively.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Any reason why?

Lindholm is a smaller player by a couple inches, had a couple of injury problems this preseason and has not even a single point in this young season despite having played in a men's league prior to entering the draft.

They are both noted to be smart players on the ice, but I'd rather take the bigger kid who knows how to score in the NHL.

At the time pre-draft, I felt like Lindholm was extremely underrated for his tenacious play and his all around skill, which I felt was only second to Drouin. Really, you could of drawn straws between him and Monahan. But I felt like he had the higher offensive upside and I liked his the grittiness to his game that's the scouts did not give him full credit for. Initially I was a heavy favourite of drafting Monahan but I started to lean more towards Lindholm at the end. Ultimately now, I'm thrilled we drafted Sean and from what I've seen, he's going to be a dynamic player in so many ways and I think he has the potential to become a Toews caliber player. I'm so happy he's a Flame and we truly have a fantastic piece to build around. His offensive upside becomes more apparent all the time and he's so smart at aspects of the game. We really lucked out with him.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
At the time pre-draft, I felt like Lindholm was extremely underrated for his tenacious play and his all around skill, which I felt was only second to Drouin. Really, you could of drawn straws between him and Monahan. But I felt like he had the higher offensive upside and I liked his the grittiness to his game that's the scouts did not give him full credit for. Initially I was a heavy favourite of drafting Monahan but I started to lean more towards Lindholm at the end. Ultimately now, I'm thrilled we drafted Sean and from what I've seen, he's going to be a dynamic player in so many ways and I think he has the potential to become a Toews caliber player. I'm so happy he's a Flame and we truly have a fantastic piece to build around. His offensive upside becomes more apparent all the time and he's so smart at aspects of the game. We really lucked out with him.

Literally the exact same process happened for me.

troubadour*

Is it just me or does Monahan have quite the goofy haircut. He needs to do something about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->