*The All-Purpose Sean Monahan Thread*

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I can't imagine sending him down when he is over a ppg or even close to a ppg. I know points aren't all that matters but he is leading the team in points which is very impressive and so is the way he is getting the points.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
It's also notable that all his points have come 5 vs 5. I think he will start getting more PP time. Maybe 1st unit soon. How has his FO% been?

Dreadful 36%. Monahan is seeing 45 seconds a game on the pp but over the last 2 he has seen over a minute.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He will have to work on that before he sees 1st unit PP time IMO. We all know how bad special teams are when you can't win that first FO.

Yea its the same problem we have had for years now. We either need to bring in someone that can win a faceoff or get a faceoff coach (Langkow would be a good choice)

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yea its the same problem we have had for years now. We either need to bring in someone that can win a faceoff or get a faceoff coach (Langkow would be a good choice)

We have a special skills coach, remember?

I just don't think he's paid dividends yet

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
We have a special skills coach, remember?

I just don't think he's paid dividends yet

I thought he was just a skills coach and to be honest even when they talked about his job they brought up board battles etc and didn't really say if he was going to work on faceoffs (he better start if he hasn't :laugh:)

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I thought he was just a skills coach and to be honest even when they talked about his job they brought up board battles etc and didn't really say if he was going to work on faceoffs (he better start if he hasn't :laugh:)

Well, we've been winning the board battles :D

troubadour*

I can't imagine sending him down when he is over a ppg or even close to a ppg. I know points aren't all that matters but he is leading the team in points which is very impressive and so is the way he is getting the points.

Sure he's getting points but he's also a negative +/- on a team with a winning record so that makes him a defensive liability. For example, if someone's scoring 2 goals for every 3 that are scored against because of their actions, are you to be happy about the 2 goals they score? No. Hockey is more than just offense. It's called keeping the puck out of your own net too. At least his faceoffs are better than MacKinnon though.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Sure he's getting points but he's also a negative +/- on a team with a winning record so that makes him a defensive liability. For example, if someone's scoring 2 goals for every 3 that are scored against because of their actions, are you to be happy about the 2 goals they score? No. Hockey is more than just offense. It's called keeping the puck out of your own net too. At least his faceoffs are better than MacKinnon though.

:laugh: You might as well have said I don't watch hockey to say +/- of -1 means he is a defensive liability.

I get a sick pleasure out of people that don't understand stats or misinterpret there meaning. Let me ask you this if a goalie lets in a bad goal does that make every player on the ice a liability? I want you to think really hard on this as it should change your view on +/-

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Are you seriously saying that Monahan should be sent down because of his +/- stats?

troubadour*

Are you seriously saying that Monahan should be sent down because of his +/- stats?

He's being scored against more than he's scoring that's all there is to say. If his whole team was tanking it'd be reasonable but they're not... yet.

troubadour*

:laugh: You might as well have said I don't watch hockey to say +/- of -1 means he is a defensive liability.

I get a sick pleasure out of people that don't understand stats or misinterpret there meaning. Let me ask you this if a goalie lets in a bad goal does that make every player on the ice a liability? I want you to think really hard on this as it should change your view on +/-

Well Mr cherry picker, you ever heard of the law of averages? Maybe for each bad goal a goaltender lets in, they will score a bad one on the opposition. This isn't rocket science here.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Lousy trolling aside, if Monahan keeps playing as well as he currently is for the next five games, then he's definitely staying for the rest of the season. As much as I was in favour of sending him down, he's playing well enough to get quality ice time that renders the issue of proper development somewhat moot. No doubt he'll slow down and likely hit a wall at some point, but he's clearly better off in the NHL.

I suppose the chances of him going to the WJC would be quite low then. Although his availability could depend on the team's record; if they're losing a lot at that point, maybe they release him.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lousy trolling aside, if Monahan keeps playing as well as he currently is for the next five games, then he's definitely staying for the rest of the season. As much as I was in favour of sending him down, he's playing well enough to get quality ice time that renders the issue of proper development somewhat moot. No doubt he'll slow down and likely hit a wall at some point, but he's clearly better off in the NHL.

I suppose the chances of him going to the WJC would be quite low then. Although his availability could depend on the team's record; if they're losing a lot at that point, maybe they release him.

I don't think he can keep up his PPG, but man, even a .5 ppg in a rookie year is insane. At this point, absolutely no reason to send him down, and I don't see how he could screw up so bad in the next five games to merit it.
I'm hoping that Calgary will be well represented at the juniors, that'd be a nice sign.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't think he can keep up his PPG, but man, even a .5 ppg in a rookie year is insane. At this point, absolutely no reason to send him down, and I don't see how he could screw up so bad in the next five games to merit it.
I'm hoping that Calgary will be well represented at the juniors, that'd be a nice sign.

Poirier should make it but I agree that I want as many Flames prospects to make it as possible.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Poirier should make it but I agree that I want as many Flames prospects to make it as possible.

Just to stick it more to those people who been following the whole "empty cupboard" motto that's been kicking around here for the longest time.
Problem is this year, our European depth is pretty lacking currently. I don't think we'll have anyone outside of Rushan playing for an international team.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Just to stick it more to those people who been following the whole "empty cupboard" motto that's been kicking around here for the longest time.
Problem is this year, our European depth is pretty lacking currently. I don't think we'll have anyone outside of Rushan playing for an international team.

Do we have any even eligible?(other than Rushan)

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia

Who cares, we have Monahan, Poirier, Jankowski, Sieloff, Gillies.

Trae

Calgary
Nicolas%20Cage%20trying%20not%20to%20laugh.gif

I was going to reply to him, but this satisfies me enough!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad