The All-Purpose Peter Horachek Thread

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
He was put in an impossible position. Come in part way through, and teach this team how to play responsible hockey (after years of fire-wagon). The core is fragile, entitled and lazy at times, and are prone to epic collapses.

I feel bad for the guy

He's quickly lowered Clarkson's ice time and now he's gotten him off the pp.
He's deshacked Rielly and look at him go.
Now, he's talking about how he doesn't have a first line and is ready to give the 3 stooges a reduced role.
In other words, he's figuring out in 10 games what Pudgy couldn't figure out in multiple seasons.
I think he's a keeper.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Not the right guy, yes ok we look better on D but now we can't score at all.

45 shots against by toothless Arizona and only 6 shots per game less than when we were 16-11 and in the playoffs. I wish you guys would at least have a fact or two to make statements on.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
He's quickly lowered Clarkson's ice time and now he's gotten him off the pp.
He's deshacked Rielly and look at him go.
Now, he's talking about how he doesn't have a first line and is ready to give the 3 stooges a reduced role.
In other words, he's figuring out in 10 games what Pudgy couldn't figure out in multiple seasons.
I think he's a keeper.

Are you Peter's dad?

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
The most clueless coach in recent memory but I'm not complaining because every loss brings us closer to the top pick, how sad is that?

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
He might have a shot at the Jack Adams.

Its crazy what Tank Commander Horachek has done, single-handedly taking us into the heart of the McEichel race. Not many coaches could come in halfway through the season and show this big of a turnaround.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
Listening to him try to explain why he put Bernier back in the game was embarressing, I'm convinced hes under strict orders from Shanahan to lose at any cost.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Listening to him try to explain why he put Bernier back in the game was embarressing, I'm convinced hes under strict orders from Shanahan to lose at any cost.

i do have to say I love his passive aggressiveness towards the core.
"Well if everyone could play like Winnik and Santa...."

and

"I'm sure our fans our behind us!"
(probably not the way you think, Pete)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I love this guy, but I am starting to feel bad for him. 1-12 as Leafs coach is beyond bad. And Shanahan brought him in when we were in the playoffs at 21-17 to right the ship. Bad read by Shanny, but that might have been a blessing in disguise with the way we are trending towards a better pick with each game.

However, I just can't believe Mgt thought bringing in this guy would right the ship to make the playoffs.

This scares me more than Horachek's coaching that someone would think this.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
He is clearly a genius, way ahead of his time.

This 11 game losing streak, we might have to build a statue of Pete outside the ACC if he lands us McEichel

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I don't like the players right now, but this coach is dumb as ****. He should never be an NHL coach.

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
I love this guy, but I am starting to feel bad for him. 1-12 as Leafs coach is beyond bad. And Shanahan brought him in when we were in the playoffs at 21-17 to right the ship. Bad read by Shanny, but that might have been a blessing in disguise with the way we are trending towards a better pick with each game.

However, I just can't believe Mgt thought bringing in this guy would right the ship to make the playoffs.

This scares me more than Horachek's coaching that someone would think this.
Coulda been the master plan all along...think he was fed up with some of the characters.

As he said the coaching change put the spotlight on the players and they have overwhelmingly shown they can't handle adversity....

Hello bottom 5 pick & c'ya later under performing slackers.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Coulda been the master plan all along...think he was fed up with some of the characters.

As he said the coaching change put the spotlight on the players and they have overwhelmingly shown they can't handle adversity....

Hello bottom 5 pick & c'ya later under performing slackers.

and

we

have

a

winner :handclap:

correct on all fronts :)

Quadruple Dion

Jun 30, 2011
Just remembered this tune exists. Three cheers for the Tank Commander, piloting the tank night after night.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
I don't mind the losses, but he's simply a bad coach. I'd get this guy away from the organization once the rebuild starts.

Wendigo

Nov 27, 2013
If nothing more, I'm happy to see Reilly seeemingly thrive under Horacek. If this kid gets his legs under him and can continue with a new coach next season, that's already something to look forward to in the 2015-2016 season.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I like the new coach.

This team (same players) is playing closer to the right way to play the game as opposed to playing a one way, lazy game.

They are playing a little better in terms of giving up fewer shots and playing in both ends of the rink, so, I'm satisfied with that from the coach.

THE REST IS ON THE PLAYERS!

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I actually don't mind Horachek whatsoever. He's implemented a solid system, and he needs to enforce it now. Last night the offense took off, but the team reverted back to playing loose hockey and trading chances.

This team needs to be taught discipline from the start to finish -- and that you instill with a young core.

Start with:

Nazem Kadri
Morgan Rielly
Peter Holland
Jake Gardiner
JVR
Richard Panik

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I actually don't mind Horachek whatsoever. He's implemented a solid system, and he needs to enforce it now. Last night the offense took off, but the team reverted back to playing loose hockey and trading chances.

This team needs to be taught discipline from the start to finish -- and that you instill with a young core.

Start with:

Nazem Kadri
Morgan Rielly
Peter Holland
Jake Gardiner
JVR
Richard Panik

How is it solid system?

The team got worse offensively and defensively.

Only team we can beat in theast 14 games is Edmonton.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
How is it solid system?

I think the system is part of the culture change that most of us were expecting after the summer, there was a minor change in personnel but the coach remained, the same results were sure to follow. TO obviously needs a major change in personnel and it also needed a different game plan, changing personnel is difficult but how the game is played should have been a lot easier than TO's players could adapt to.

The process with RC was allow the opposition to outshot and outplay you and hope that the team could make the playoffs, I think Horachek is enforcing a game plan based on accountability and he's now showing that he's prepared to bench significant contracts if those players are unwilling/unable to contribute.

I do know that Horachek helped make Florida a far better team last year but like with TO the team was already to far gone. TO might have still been in the playoffs but the writing was on the wall, how TO played for RC wasn't enabling TO to improve enough to make the playoffs.

TO needed change, if Horachek doesn't come back, I hope he does, then he is prepping the Leafs for his successor. I have no idea what RC was doing for/to TO and I'm glad he's gone.

buttman*

Best coaching move ever putting Bernier back in when Reimer comes in and takes the lead. Should have put Kessel in net last night. Need to protect the tank.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
How is it solid system?

The team got worst offensively because they were cheating to score goals since the beginning. Having two players wait to be fed off the puck from the defensive zone, while the other players were trying to defend in their zone is what lead to higher shot totals.

Horachek has them playing five guys in one zone whether its to defend or to produce offense.

We've seen a drastic decrease in shots against, and goals scored on. In fairness to Horachek, we haven't gotten good enough goaltending post Caryle's firing.

The offense is dry because they've been used to producing off the rush and two on ones. That doesn't happen when you're expected to be back in the defensive zone and defend along with all your other team mates.

He's not a bad coach. He has them playing team game. I'm also impressed that he is practicing meritocracy and benching Clarkson after a fairly unproductive year except for the first 10 games or so.

What else do you want in a coach?

In addition, Morgan Rielly looks great, and Jake Gardiner also looks great in this system. The problem in the Carlye era was that the system magnified mistakes made by the D-men. Most of the times, there was no help by the forwards as almost none in the top 2 lines back checked.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think he's a decent coach. Good habits, a player's guy, has high standards.

Has been thrown into 2 impossible scenarios now - last season in Florida and now in Toronto. In both, he's ended up bottoming out despite some noticeable improvements in possession.

It's unlikely he gets a 3rd chance behind the bench.

I do like him though.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
solid idea for a system, the players just dont fit it.

the issue we have is the only system that works is a poor one that lets the players cheat, because we have very few two-way players in the system.

as soon as you implement a proper two-way system that many cup-winning teams use, we start losing, because we have one-way players that won't win anything.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Great coach....sign him long term...8 years maybe.

We would draft first or second for the next 7 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad