The All-Purpose Peter Horachek Thread

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Felt it was time to create a thread and discuss how Peter Horachek has done since taking over.

My thoughts so far:

He's a structured coach who has implemented a defensive system and the results are there. You're seeing a lot fewer mistakes made by our young D-men in Rielly and Gardiner, and even the recent call-ups in Graberg and Holzer look like seasoned vets playing a safe game. I think he's brought out the best in Morgan Rielly who has looked a stud. He's become smarter in knowing when to turn on his jets and when to play a safe game.

All in all, I think he's done a good job in making us look very competent defensively.

Offensively, this core is just flawed. You can not expect to win relying on one line. I don't think the lack of offense is on Horachek. Sure, we've put an increased focus on our defensive game but we're still getting some solid chances that this team will need to convert on if they want to be successful.

I still think the best way of going about it is to trade Kessel, and Lupul up front, and Dion and Cody on the back end. This core has proved their inconsistency with 3 coaches now, and there is not much else to see.

My final verdict on Horachek is that, while I won't mind if he's relieved at seasons end in favor of a Babcock, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if he's brought back. I think the main focus should be to trade the dead weights on this team, and coaching should come secondary.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't mind him at all.
I think he got a raw deal in Florida, and he's going to get a raw deal here (because we're going Babcock/DeBoer/Big Bame here) but yah, i totally see it -and he's not allowing the team to cheat at all. now - there are sometimes where we're pressing for a goal, that's when you have to shorten your bench and let it fly.

and I am going to address this right away:
Carlyle is not the "better" coach because of his record. Carlyle allowed the team to cheat to score the goals, which inflated them, which impacted their contracts, and created a dynamic that they could score -but couldn't defend. you can sort of see bright spots (Morgan Rielly for example is allowed to be himself, but he's playing very well defensively etc). but all this struggle is because Horachek isn't letting them cheat.

Which is good.
at any rate. i don't mind him, and I hope he gets ajob somewhere soon.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Absolute fraud. Moron move after moron move

Perfect for the tank. Job well done

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I think there is a reason Florida has improved after firing him and why we have started to lose more after naming him head coach.

Better defense with him as our coach isn't an accomplishment. It literally couldn't get worse and anyone with any system would have been an improvement.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Peter is an assistant coach not a head coach...especially a head coach of the hockey capitol of the world! They should hire a realistic interim head coach! He killed FLA...but yet again he got them Ekblad!!!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think Horachek is just a really good assistant coach. I thought he was the reason why we were sucking defensively because I thought he was in charge of that totally, but maybe it is now Carlyle that's the reason. I would be willing to give him another shot as the assistant under a new coach with Steve Spott (but I'd rather him be the Marlies head coach again...) I think if he's the right guy, management knows that and he'll stay around. I think they know he's not the right head coach, but I think they still see him as a valuable guy. We just need to give them new guys. This core hasn't worked for 5 years. It's time to cash on the treasure of assets they'll return and start over. It sucks, it's tedious, and it's disappointing because it may be long enough that some fans may not even see the Leafs win ever again, but that's the price for absolutely sucking for 10 years. It's not working and it's not going to work.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
I like what he has done with the defensive side of the game, and with possession. I don't like the way he killed our offense. I don't like Clarkson on the powerplay. Santorelli deserves it way more. I don't like Holland on the point of the top unit powerplay.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I like what he has done with the defensive side of the game, and with possession. I don't like the way he killed our offense. I don't like Clarkson on the powerplay. Santorelli deserves it way more. I don't like Holland on the point of the top unit powerplay.

Except, I don't think he's killed our offense.

We're getting some great scoring chances that we've failed to put in the net. I don't think the lack of scoring is his fault. Yes, he changed the system. What we had prior was not working, and is not a system successful teams play.

We've transitioned to a responsible, more Western Conference type system, which has also been adopted by Montreal. We'll be better for it, but I've still had it with this core.

tans66

Sep 11, 2009
Toronto,Ontario
His record speaks for him. Awful. Just tied a mid 80's record of 9th straight loss. Who said RC had to be fired. We were in a playoff spot under RC. Now we are in no mans land. I would rather win ugly then lose all the time. Rotton to the "CORE".

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The problems Horachek is currently facing started well before he too over. The leafs were having scoring issues over the last 10ish games of Carlyle.

HIs defensiv systems are grat - the team really just has encountered some awful puck luck on the defensive side of the game. To put up 30 shots and not get a single goal is just rough. The Leafs must have really pissed off the hockey gods.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Not to rub it anyone's faces, but the advanced guys have been singing this guy's praises since game one.

The unluckiest coach to ever start a tenure in all of NHL history.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
RC-All offense, no defense

Horachek-All defense, no offense

The extremes with this team is like nothing I've ever seen. They went from one of the best offenses in the NHL to setting club records for lack of scoring in a matter of weeks. Truly amazing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It took Hoarachek about 2 games to get the team to do what Carlyle was incapable of doing over his entire tenure here - play defence (at the very least, at an average NHL team level) . That's very commendable: the problem (well, one of them) is that the powerplay scoring % has dipped from 20% to 12.5% - which is going to suck a lot of goals out of a team's offence.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Horachek is a great commander. Possibly one of the best.

But hes killing the value of our guys.

We need an offensive version of Horchek. We need a guy that runs all offense no defense, and still manages to lose every game.

An offensive version of Horachek would make our top players ppg, and thus increase their face value for trade purposes. It would also be more entertaining.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Worst ****ing coach I have ever seen.

Destroying the value of every tradeable asset we have.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
If Horachek can continue the Leafs' losing streak until the end of the season, so that the Leafs can get a top 3 pick in the draft, Horachek is the best thing that could've happened to this team, and will result in much needed change for the Leafs.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
At this rate, he is going to go down as the worst coach in Leaf history, and that is no easy feat. He took one of the best offensive teams in the league and turned it into the worst offensive team in the league overnight.

Long term, this will benefit the franchise though. We keep moving up in the draft, and he'll be gone anyway at the end of the season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
At this rate, he is going to go down as the worst coach in Leaf history, and that is no easy feat. He took one of the best offensive teams in the league and turned it into the worst offensive team in the league overnight.

Long term, this will benefit the franchise though. We keep moving up in the draft, and he'll be gone anyway at the end of the season.

The Leafs scoring struggles were happening over the past 10ish games of Carlyle - it's one of the reasons he was fired when he was.

None of the current problems of the leafs started under Horachek.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
The Leafs scoring struggles were happening over the past 10ish games of Carlyle - it's one of the reasons he was fired when he was.

I thought the advanced stats mantra was anyone could coach the Leafs better than Carlyle?

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006

How 10 is 10ish? In the 10 games before Horachek arrived, the Leafs averaged 2.2 goals per game and scored 4 or more 4 times in that stretch. The 3 games prior to the last 10 and you get another 14 goals to make it 2.76 goals per game, with 7 of 13 games with 4+ goals. Horachek is averaging 1.2 goals per game and set a franchise record for least goals scored in January.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad