The All Purpose Pens Off Season(s?) Thread - Injuries and other news [87 has surgery, Pens hire ACs]

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
To be fair though, my mind has already thrown a heavy curtain over the exact details of the Habs series. There’s this blur of “I don’t like Carey Price” and now - Poof! It’s over.

Reactions: Beau Knows

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Evgeni Malkin’s elbow surgery was a long time coming. It won’t be his last
Evgeni Malkin’s elbow surgery was a long time coming. It won’t be his last

Rossi claims this has been a lingering issue since 2016. Not sure if I believe him, but the narrative does make sense. Sounds like this was just a clean up surgery.
Rossi, grain of salt, etc.

But still, that ain't great to read. :laugh: All the more impressive that Geno (and Jarry) pretty much carried this team for months, and were the reason we were even in the playoff picture, imo.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Honestly if that's true and he's been struggling with it since like 2016... I'm a little surprised it isn't bigger news.

Oh who am I kidding... no I'm not.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think the key is that he isn't struggling with it. It is just something that will nag him until he gets surgery.

Yeah, I figure it’s fine but not what it used to be until it starts to deteriorate. Then he gets surgery. The timing is shit because if it had been at the point of needing surgery during the season it would have been done during the break with that recovery time. The thing to worry about is the ticking time bomb factor and that it could go at the worst possible time.

It was such a nothing looking moment when he hurt it, too. It’s sad how they couldn’t get healthy with months off before the playoffs.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
The article doesn't read like that. It reads like the UCL is shot but can be played with because hockey players don't use it like pitchers do, according to the advice he received. If he doesn't put it off and gets the surgery now he would be out a long time. I don't think it's debatable his shot is not what it was, and I'm pretty pessimistic about that because that shot was a weapon. I also don't agree it looked like nothing in 2016. It looked like a 215 pound player with speed backed into it on the boards, like a knee planted on the ice. It's never good when things bend the wrong way.

Major point for me is the one timer on the PP sucks now, and it was the only great one we had minus Schultz sometimes. Letang's isn't worth mentioning and Crosby doesn't have an NHL slapshot.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think I worry less about decreased effectiveness and how easily it can be reinjured.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
It's interesting that in the first 3 years he didn't miss a game (edit, forgot he missed first 4 with shoulder). 4th year, after back to back Cup runs, Malkin started to break down. Always thought he was mismanaged by that staff as far as injuries are concerned, playing way too often when he shouldn't have been. Not an expert by any means, just think that a foundation is very important to remaining injury free and I think that foundation was pretty shot by year 5 or 6. He's hardly played a full season since then, I think 75 was the most in 11-12. It's true many of the cases were plays where no amount of conditioning would have prevented them (ACL, shoulder, concussions, sliding in front of slapshots etc) but he's also missed a lot of time with nagging things. Style of play has always made that inevitable though. Plus combine that with a couple years of not being in great shape in 09-10 and 10-11 and it's a recipe for what might have been had he stayed healthy.

It's crazy that we have had this kind of injury history with our stars, for all three. I'm not sure there's another team that has dealt with this to its three best players. And despite it all, they managed to win the three Cups and achieve a lot over their careers. So I'm grateful end of the day, it just makes you wonder what they could have done with better health.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The Penguins primary focus this offseason should be how to be as healthy as possible.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
My immediate thought when I saw the news about Sid's wrist was Giroux's revenge for some reason :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad