The All Purpose Pens Off Season(s?) Thread - Injuries and other news [87 has surgery, Pens hire ACs]

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
1. LTIR cap space isn't the same as real cap space
2. They're still going to have him when he comes off of LTIR in February of next year

just keep having your doctors evaluate him and say “there must have been a setback. He’s not ready”....or, he could just be diagnosed with an allergy to offense...that’s not far off the mark...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
When healthy he is a solid player, but he literally can not go more than a couple games without injury. He's not worth the investment.

Even if he could stay healthy I'd look at him as a player who has plateaued, and in case of his offensive ability regressed, and be thinking about trading him anyway. So of course he gets injured.

Silver lining - makes it easier to give Poulin 9 games next season.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Even if he could stay healthy I'd look at him as a player who has plateaued, and in case of his offensive ability regressed, and be thinking about trading him anyway. So of course he gets injured.

Silver lining - makes it easier to give Poulin 9 games next season.

That plus they can give Lafferty an extended look as a regular.

Considering ZAR is definitely out and Simon is probably out to start the year, I think the chances of Poulin and Lafferty being regulars to start next year is pretty high.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Evgeni Malkin’s elbow surgery was a long time coming. It won’t be his last

This doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. Basically says there will need to be major surgery after his playing career and that he thinks his slapshot isn’t as good as it was before 2016. I agree with that just by the eye test. Used to be a devastating weapon, now it often sucks to be honest.

And yet our powerplay was designed around setting up Geno for a one-timer.

Gee, I wonder why the PP struggled.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Isn't that more of a criticism of Malkin, though? If he was playing hurt or something was off, he should have told the coaches about it so they could adjust.

I'm absolutely certain this wasn't some secret. And to be honest I don't think our PP was set up around Malkin, hasn't been for a long time. The one-timer is just what he prefers on the PP so he's usually looking for it and moving around to get in that spot. He was also parked on the left point for much of the last two years where he can't really take the one-timer. It's not like his arm was going to fall off from taking it, but from the article there's no doubt it's affecting accuracy and power which sucks. That shot used to be such a weapon for us.

Reactions: Andy99

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Isn't that more of a criticism of Malkin, though? If he was playing hurt or something was off, he should have told the coaches about it so they could adjust.

I'd assume the club knew of Malkin's bum elbow. And even if they didn't know the full extent of it, you'd think they could tell just by watching him try and shoot that the velocity wasn't there. We, as fans, noticed he didn't seem to have anywhere as much zip on his slapshot as he used to.

Reactions: EightyOne

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
So. Crosby wasn't right, Guentzel wasn't right, Dumoulin looked off, Malkin needed surgery and ZAR needed surgery. Bjugstad and Simon had surgery during the pause. Yeah, it turns out the break didn't help them. The year of the injuries again.

Reactions: EightyOne

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So. Crosby wasn't right, Guentzel wasn't right, Dumoulin looked off, Malkin needed surgery and ZAR needed surgery. Bjugstad and Simon had surgery during the pause. Yeah, it turns out the break didn't help them. The year of the injuries again.

Year? Try decade lol...see no reason that 2021 will reverse the trend....

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
When the hell did that happen?

... looked fine in his heavy bag workout video during the break.

Really. I’m drawing a blank here. When did he hurt it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->