The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Lines, etc (Geno out long term; Bjugs too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
How has no one been called up yet? We're down 2 more forwards and we have a game tomorrow.

I'm starting to feel like the lights are on but nobody's home in the front office. Maybe they're overwhelmed from not replacing Guerin or something. Maybe they've just descended into madness.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
How has no one been called up yet? We're down 2 more forwards and we have a game tomorrow.

I'm starting to feel like the lights are on but nobody's home in the front office. Maybe they're overwhelmed from not replacing Guerin or something. Maybe they've just descended into madness.

As of right now the team cant even call anyone up. We have to send down Marino and then waive another D if we want to play 12F tomorrow. We had to waive someone by 12pm today for it to take affect by tomorrow. So barring a trade, we're playing 11F tomorrow.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
As of right now the team cant even call anyone up. We have to send down Marino and then waive another D if we want to play 12F tomorrow. We had to waive someone by 12pm today for it to take affect by tomorrow. So barring a trade, we're playing 11F tomorrow.

I mean they could put Bjug or Geno on LTIR and that would solve the issue but whatever....they’re just going to double shift Sid until they run him into the ground...apparently that’s the plan

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I mean they could put Bjug or Geno on LTIR and that would solve the issue but whatever....they’re just going to double shift Sid until they run him into the ground...apparently that’s the plan
wait.... yeah, why hasn't that happened? Not only is at least Malkin pretty safe to miss the minimum required time, you get the associated cap benefits along with that.

Are they praying he can return in 2 weeks or what?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
also I imagine the solution will be to send down Marino, call up Johnson and dress 7 D again tomorrow.

What a mess.

Edit: So you'd be looking at

Guentzel-Sid-Simon
Tanev-McCann-Kahun
Johnson-Blueger-ZAR
Agozzino-Lafferty

Wow.

Reactions: BHD

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

Actually I dont think thats an issue. Both of them are on IR meaning they dont count against the roster limit. The problem is that Horny and Chucky arent on IR

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Penguins: A Theory

2014, Shero gets fired, Botterill named interim GM. Starts making a plan based on bodies that the Penguins have and needs that need to be filled.

June 2014, JR is hired as full time GM, names Botterill Associate GM based on plan that Botterill drew up regarding haves and needs.

Hires Johnston, deviating from plan and wasting a year. Sullivan doing things in WB draws Botterills attention which leads to Johnston being fired and Sullivan promoted.

2015, Botterill plan comes to fruition, win Cup.

2016, Botterill tweaks plan, plan comes to fruition, win Cup.

2016, Botterill leaves to Buffalo, because JR was only suppossed to be around for two years, but after the Botterplan produced so well, decides to extend his stay.

2017: After Botterill leaves, and with no plan, JR shifts from what was working to being harder to play against, i.e. toughness. Trades for Reeves, Oleksiak, and Sheahan. Sullivan not happy that his speed game is being taken away.

2018: Continues without a plan and just winging it based on what other teams are doing(??), trades for/signs old slow d-men, further ruining Sullivans speed game.

2019: After having 2 seasons with no plan, not being able to fix his dumb mistakes from previous years, JR paints himself into a corner with the cap, forced to demote players that shouldn't be demoted, and having too few of one and too many of other positions. Sullivan, having enough of the bull**** that has happened, plays JRs mistakes every, single, game. Power struggle happening in front office between Sullivan that wants to get back to the speed game vs JR who doesn't understand what needs to be done because the man with the plan is now in Buffalo.

Meanwhile, in Buffalo, Botterills first year, with the left overs from previous GM, Buffalo put up 25 wins for 62 points. Year two of the Botterill plan they put up 33 wins for 76 points, 14 point improvement. Year three of the Botterill plan, it's 3 games in but Buffalo is 2-0-1, with 13 goals for and 7 against.

Botterill was the lynch pin in all of it. The Penguins should have let JR leave with his 2 Cups and given the reins to Botterill.
Posted elsewhere.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Not necessarily. All we need to do is put someone on IR, which should have been done to begin with for Galchenyuk. If he reaggravated his injury, he should be held out for at least a week anyway.

And sending Marino down should be a no brainer at this point if we need another F. We could call him right back up when one of them gets back into the lineup. Playing 7 D was a giant cluster f*** and there is already too much turmoil on this roster to continue doing it.

IMO, the only explanations that don't involve incompetence are that they expect both guys to play tomorrow or a trade is happening.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Actually I dont think thats an issue. Both of them are on IR meaning they dont count against the roster limit. The problem is that Horny and Chucky arent on IR

If there’s a cap problem that won’t help...will help us keep 23 up but not the cap..not sure that’s a problem too

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
If there’s a cap problem that won’t help...will help us keep 23 up but not the cap..not sure that’s a problem too
We should still have around 2 million of Rust's LTIR cushion. According to capfriendly we got a minimum of 3,430,000 in cushion from him. Probably the full 3.5M.

Reactions: Andy99

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I assume they wait if they have off days to gain the accrued cap space you get per day.
But with this kangaroo crew running things...who knows?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I learned something today, ghosts can suffer LBIs :(

I'm not a huge believer, either. But I'm willing to at least give that guy some time under better circumstances. The team already did him a major disservice by not allowing him to actually heal up correctly because of their whole "we couldn't find our ass with both hands" routine when it comes to managing the roster.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Actually I just checked again and you might be right. Apparently you have to include players' possible performance bonuses in the cap hit for LTIR recalls. They are showing us with 100k in cap space. :facepalm:

ETA: So Marino's cap hit counts as 1,775,000 and Lafferty's 900,000

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
We should give the guy more than 3 games with a lingering injury and 2 without Geno before we start giving him whipping boy nicknames. If you’re looking for a ghost, Kahun is right over there.

Did not see him in Arizona, but for most of his career, he has been "meh". Good production at times, but "meh".

At this point, I think he is what he is.

Would love him to use his shot more. He finds spots though. So, yeah, Geno not being there to feed him hinders hjs production. I'd be willing to try him with Sid and Jake (Jake can play RW).

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

no need to practices, you can't improve perfection.:laugh:

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad