The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Lines, etc (Geno out long term; Bjugs too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Wonder if it would be McCann or Chucky at 2C if Sid misses a game or two.

From Rossi's latest article in The Athletic:

But it’s clear that in a worst-case scenario — the Penguins opening the regular season without Crosby, Galchenyuk and Rust — Sullivan would not hesitate to slot Jared McCann behind Malkin on the depth chart at center [Rossi's words]
“(Saturday night) was a perfect example of where we needed somebody to move into the center-ice position, and Jared McCann can go in there and he’s perfectly comfortable,” Sullivan said.
“He’s a natural center. He’s pretty good in the faceoff circle. I actually thought he had a better game when we moved him to center.”

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
From Rossi's latest article in The Athletic:

But it’s clear that in a worst-case scenario — the Penguins opening the regular season without Crosby, Galchenyuk and Rust — Sullivan would not hesitate to slot Jared McCann behind Malkin on the depth chart at center [Rossi's words]
“(Saturday night) was a perfect example of where we needed somebody to move into the center-ice position, and Jared McCann can go in there and he’s perfectly comfortable,” Sullivan said.
“He’s a natural center. He’s pretty good in the faceoff circle. I actually thought he had a better game when we moved him to center.”

True. But Rossi indicated that would be the case if Chucky and Crosby were out.

Wonder if Galchenyuk would be the guy if healthy. Would allow you to play Jake on Malkin’s LW too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
True. But Rossi indicated that would be the case if Chucky and Crosby were out.

Wonder if Galchenyuk would be the guy if healthy. Would allow you to play Jake on Malkin’s LW too.

I guess it's not a 100% clear what they'd do with Chucky there and it's possible they'd go that route but I doubt it. They got McCann to be a C; they got Chucky to be Malkin's wingman. They've budged their thinking a bit on the former, but I doubt its totally, and I doubt they've changed their mind on the latter. Given their preference for spreading talent, I'm not sure they'd want to load up Malkin and Guentzel anyway.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This is why I will always have my faith in 71. I think he "gets" it. Waaaaaaay more than the media will ever want to admit.

I think he will figure it out but there may be some pains in the mean time.

He's going to have to face the fact that he's not 18 any more and doesn't have the same jump or skills. He's still an all world player, but he might have to make some adjustments to how he plays.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'm fine with guys missing games early on. As long as they fully heal.

They wouldn't be injured if they weren't playing in meaningless f***ing games.

82 game season = you have time to sort shit out in October.

This isn't the first time Sullivan has put guys into the grinder in games they shouldn't be playing in. Sick of it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
They wouldn't be injured if they weren't playing in meaningless ****ing games.

82 game season = you have time to sort **** out in October.

This isn't the first time Sullivan has put guys into the grinder in games they shouldn't be playing in. Sick of it.

Meh would you also be complaining if they came out in Game 1 and stunk the place up because nobody was ready from preseason? Then the idea would be "Why are we not getting ready at least 1-2 games in preseason?"

Do other teams not play their stars in preseason? I'm just looking around because I don't watch all preseason games. Ovy, Backstrom, Carlson all played 2. Just like Sid was going to do. Patty Kane played 3. Matthews played 4?!?! Is that right? :laugh: Tavares 3. Nylander 4. Hedman 3. Stammer 3. Sergachev 5?!?! Kuch played 4?!?!

So I don't know why you gotta hold the Pens to a different standard. It looked like they were trying to keep the stars limited. Letang/Sid were to play 2 only. G played 3. Why are you holding the Pens to a different standard?>

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I wouldn't play any of the stars in a single preseason game. Hockey is not football. It's an 82 game grind over 3/4 of the year. Having a handful of of sloppy games early in October is preferable to seeing the Crosby's of the world getting dinged in pointless games.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't play any of the stars in a single preseason game. Hockey is not football. It's an 82 game grind over 3/4 of the year. Having a handful of of sloppy games early in October is preferable to seeing the Crosby's of the world getting dinged in pointless games.

Once again... so you are complaining about every NHL team and coach. You don't see how this is irrational?

And injuries are fluke man. Look at the Steelers. Limit Ben in preseason. He comes out rusty. And low and behold injured anyway. Life happens.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Interesting stats really.
We know why some of those guys get hit so much.
I think their lack of a cohesive breakout plays into this alot more tho. As Dumo stated:

“Any interference or hold ups we get gives us an extra second to get the puck,” Dumoulin said. “Usually that means getting our eyes up and making the next play and avoiding hits. It’s tough. If they’re holding up guys, then they aren’t getting open or getting to spots. Obviously, we like a little hold up. But they’ve got to get open so we can get them the puck.”

When D are sitting there without a cohesive breakout with outlets not ready or in place, you are also gonna hold on to the puck and take alot of hits.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Once again... so you are complaining about every NHL team and coach. You don't see how this is irrational?

And injuries are fluke man. Look at the Steelers. Limit Ben in preseason. He comes out rusty. And low and behold injured anyway. Life happens.

Just to be safe, let's just straight up put our stars into medically-induced comas until about mid November. It's only logical.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Mannn... Girls didn't even play a game for us and he already missed more time than the man he is replacing. Unbelievable.... no... actually it is perfectly ****ing believable.

I’d be more sad if Kessel’s durability wasn’t so connected to his lack of engagement.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I’d be more sad if Kessel’s durability wasn’t so connected to his lack of engagement.
Yeah, he was no doubt a putridly aggressive player, but still. Some players are constantly injured whether or not they are physical and Idon't know how physical a player girls is. He had exactly 30 games missed over his prior 4 seasons (2 seasons playing a full 82 **shock**) so that is relatively great.

Reactions: wizmet12

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I guess it's not a 100% clear what they'd do with Chucky there and it's possible they'd go that route but I doubt it. They got McCann to be a C; they got Chucky to be Malkin's wingman. They've budged their thinking a bit on the former, but I doubt its totally, and I doubt they've changed their mind on the latter. Given their preference for spreading talent, I'm not sure they'd want to load up Malkin and Guentzel anyway.

You know what is funny. Guentzel - Malkin - Hornqvist is probably the perfect line for Malkin.

Galchenyuk - Bjugstad - Rust
Tanev - McCann - Kahun
ZAR - Bleuger - Simon

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
From what Geno said today, he REALLY wants to play with Chucky...
Which makes perfect sense. Language barrier gets overridden. Geno can be the playmaker. He's more productive and effective when he's shooting but he doesn't like it so, what are you gonna do? I see a lot of frustration with that line in our near future. Geno's gonna want to get Chucky rolling and as a result will be forcing passes really bad. If opponents study tape worth a damn, they will know to cheat hard towards Galchenyuk when Malkin has the puck. Hopefully Sullivan doesn't rip out too much of his hair this season. I like it the way it is.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
From what Geno said today, he REALLY wants to play with Chucky...
That's awesome. I really hope they work out 100% and he's kept with Geno the way Jake is with Sid. We desperately need a duo for the 2nd line that works gang busters. If it does, man JR is going to have to move out some serious salary to make it work to re-sign Chucky.

My hope is they extend him for 2yrs at 5.5m/yr. Or just 5m/yr (100k raise over his current final year). Puts him with Geno for the rest of his contract, then assess after to see if Geno wants to keep playing or that's it.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Amen, brother. There will be a time we all head out to other things. :)
Possibly, but if Stephen King taught me anything, it's that
Sometimes-They-Come-Back.jpg

Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad