The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Injuries, Lines, More Injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
PGT shut down since we are on to the new week. An ending part of discussion was the PK. PK is top 10 right now but the numbers don't match the eyes. I feel like we have A LOT of zone time against us. We struggle big time on PK faceoffs. Sid/TB were getting beat up.

So i find that interesting. Stats looks amazing. Eye test is showing me A LOT of zone time against. We will see how that all shakes out.

Needs more ZAR obviously :naughty:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I believe our goaltending has really aided the PK...

Numbers say that the PK is really helping the goaltending too this calendar year to date; our GA and xGA is identical.

Which, tbh, is kinda what I expected to see. I feel like the unit is doing a fantastic job of taking away shooting lanes. We're not pressuring the points much, and we've struggled a bit with clears at time (although given we're great at generating shots on the PK, I think we mightn't know how good we've got it), but we're really hard to break down imo.

Reactions: Andy99

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wonder if Kahun was a product of the break and the Pens made him go through full protocol even though there was a rest period.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I wonder if Kahun was a product of the break and the Pens made him go through full protocol even though there was a rest period.

I would wager $500,000 SB cash that they put him through the exact same protocol regardless of the break/schedule.

Reactions: ColePens

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Now i checked others tweets and 2(Haase and DeFabo) of em have the

Chucky-Lafferty-Angello line as the 4th.

So....i dunno...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Beyond upset and concerned that Dumo is not skating...I do think JR will have to trade for another D...Hainsey perhaps again...lol...keeping my fingers crossed for Marino too...

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Beyond upset and concerned that Dumo is not skating...I do think JR will have to trade for another D...Hainsey perhaps again...lol...keeping my fingers crossed for Marino too...

Yea, thats a big one atm.
They can live without Bjugs but Dumo and then Kahun are key to driving more ice tilt the other way.

I'd go out and pay what it'd take for Dillon right now if i could.
Or even pay less and get Del Zotto.

Riiko-Ruh is actually an a-ok 3rd paring atm.
Need help in the top 4.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015

Same as they ended in FLA except looks like Agg's is back in and Chucky or Angello are out.

So what I wonder is, when Kahun does come back, does he take Horny's spot or McCann's spot? Kahun - Malkin - Rust looked OK. If McCann can'r stick with Sid or Geno he's back to 3C and we've got more shuffling to do to fill out the lineup. At that point you consider sending Chucky and Bjugs out with picks and prospects for a top 6 W and a bottom 6 W.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Tampa is on a back to back, unfortunately they are saving Vasilevskiy for the Pens.

But it looks like Stamkos is out tonight, maybe he wouldn't be available against the Pens.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
PGT shut down since we are on to the new week. An ending part of discussion was the PK. PK is top 10 right now but the numbers don't match the eyes. I feel like we have A LOT of zone time against us. We struggle big time on PK faceoffs. Sid/TB were getting beat up.

So i find that interesting. Stats looks amazing. Eye test is showing me A LOT of zone time against. We will see how that all shakes out.
Zone time means nothing. The Pens had tons of zone time on their PP but only had 2 shots. The Panthers had 3 powerplays, had pretty much 5 minutes of zone time, yet only had 4 shots. So as far as the eye test goes, the Pens are doing what they need to do to limit shots, which is all the PK needs to do, zone time be damned.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So Kahun skated before practice, Bjugstad isn't skating during actual practice....

Did he just retire?

There's going to come a point in the season and in his recovery where even if he does come back, he may not be in good enough game-play shape to be effective.

Realistically, say he comes back in 2 weeks. That leaves 6 weeks of games. How much more effective is he gonna be than Lafferty or Blandisi who have been playing all year? I imagine they will send him on a conditioning stint in the AHL but still...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There's going to come a point in the season and in his recovery where even if he does come back, he may not be in good enough game-play shape to be effective.

Realistically, say he comes back in 2 weeks. That leaves 6 weeks of games. How much more effective is he gonna be than Lafferty or Blandisi who have been playing all year? I imagine they will send him on a conditioning stint in the AHL but still...

If Sully trusts him to play 10 minutes and he doesn't shit himself in the process, Bjoogs will be twice as effective.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
So Kahun skated before practice, Bjugstad isn't skating during actual practice....

Did he just retire?

He probably just doesn't want to get traded, and knows he might if he comes back.

tumblr_lr4goexwqx1qewhjpo1_400.gif

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Zone time means nothing. The Pens had tons of zone time on their PP but only had 2 shots. The Panthers had 3 powerplays, had pretty much 5 minutes of zone time, yet only had 4 shots. So as far as the eye test goes, the Pens are doing what they need to do to limit shots, which is all the PK needs to do, zone time be damned.

So then it comes down to shooting lanes and perimeter passing. I don't know... I don't see dominance from that perspective. I do like the rotations. I think we have a solid rotation.

It's just not matching up perfectly, IMO. Like I said - just something I am watching. Not saying it's deceiving or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad