The All Purpose Pens Off Day(s?) Thread - Injuries, Practice, Injuries, Lines, More Injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Going by division leaves the Rangers and Blackhawks out as opposed to going by conference standings. I get the sense the league will try to finagle those two big-market, O6 teams in.

i believe Friedman suggested that the Rangers go to the Atlantic hub since the Metro will have more teams than the Atlantic...Hawks may have to switch too

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
i believe Friedman suggested that the Rangers go to the Atlantic hub since the Metro will have more teams than the Atlantic...Hawks may have to switch too

That would make some sense if they are treating seeds 7-12 more or less as wild cards. I just think going by top 6 in division is going to cause angst as that puts the Sabres in over the Rangers in the East and the Ducks in over the Blackhawks in the west.

I also think another concern is the rumor that the top 4 teams in each conference get a bye. If that happens, the teams that make it past what would be the first round are going to be a lot less rusty than the teams that had to wait. On the other hand though, if you have 1 vs. 12, 2 vs. 11, etc, there's a chance a 1 or 2 seed could get knocked out by a 12 or 11 seed. I doubt the league wants that, even it would be the most fair option.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
That would make some sense if they are treating seeds 7-12 more or less as wild cards. I just think going by top 6 in division is going to cause angst as that puts the Sabres in over the Rangers in the East and the Ducks in over the Blackhawks in the west.

I also think another concern is the rumor that the top 4 teams in each conference get a bye. If that happens, the teams that make it past what would be the first round are going to be a lot less rusty than the teams that had to wait. On the other hand though, if you have 1 vs. 12, 2 vs. 11, etc, there's a chance a 1 or 2 seed could get knocked out by a 12 or 11 seed. I doubt the league wants that, even it would be the most fair option.

again, I don’t know what Friedman knows, but he was suggesting the first round would be a round robin with every team playing and the top four move on to round two...interesting idea but that’s not the SC playoffs....

Reactions: EightyOne

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I wouldn’t want to play the rangers. Zibanejad and Panarin were on fire and can steal games.

Unless they have really screwed up seeding, there doesn't appear to be a scenario where the Penguins would play the Rangers in the opening round.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
For Boredom sake if the pens were to start up again

Jake Sid Zucker
Marleau Geno Rust
Sheary McCann Horny
Tanev Blueger ZAR

Dumo Tang
MP Marino
JJ Schultz

Murray

Thoughts?

Before his injury Jake and Geno were playing really well together.

Zucker-Crosby-Sheary
Jake-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-Mcann-Horny
Tanev-Blueger-ZAR/Bgustad

Dumo-Tanger
MP-Marino
Schultz-Ruhwedel/JJ

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Before his injury Jake and Geno were playing really well together.

Zucker-Crosby-Sheary
Jake-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-Mcann-Horny
Tanev-Blueger-ZAR/Bgustad

Dumo-Tanger
MP-Marino
Schultz-Ruhwedel/JJ

The forward depth on this team when healthy is top 3 in the league. The biggest question marks has to be the defense

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Simon was going to try and play through the injury if he had the chance to. Probably figured a monkey could get at least a few points playing with Sid.

Reeks of Craig Adams being okay with being a detriment to the team as long as he gets his $.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Simon was going to try and play through the injury if he had the chance to. Probably figured a monkey could get at least a few points playing with Sid.

Reeks of Craig Adams being okay with being a detriment to the team as long as he gets his $.

Actually I think this is more the team thinking Simon is more important than he actually is - hoping he could come back in time for the playoffs as opposed to being on the shelf for 6+ months. In the meantime, everyone else will forget he exists if play resumes.

Reactions: EightyOne

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Too bad Guentzel's going back with Crosby right off the bat.

Would have liked to see Malkin continue running wild with Guentzel and Rust and let Crosby bat clean-up with Zucker and Player X.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I mean I realize that putting Jake back with Sid is probably fair or whatever but I was hoping beyond hope to get at least a short victory lap by that line.

I assume at least that Malkin would skate with Zuck, then. That could certainly be interesting.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Simon's out and Rodrigues, Bjugstad and Lafferty will be healthy scratches. The only way I might alter this is bump Zucker to L1 RW, bump Marleau to L2 LW and Sheary down to L3 LW.

Reactions: KIRK

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If I had photoshop there would be a speed racer / Conor Sheary mash up coming your way.

klvqWEM.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Simon's out and Rodrigues, Bjugstad and Lafferty will be healthy scratches. The only way I might alter this is bump Zucker to L1 RW, bump Marleau to L2 LW and Sheary down to L3 LW.

I think you’ll see Bjugstad over McCann for some weird, horrible reason.

Reactions: KIRK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Nah, I think Bjugstad was so bad this year that I don't think he's in the lineup when healthy. I think I heard Yohe make a comment about that a while ago, Bjugstad's spot isn't guaranteed when he gets back.

In the 3 games he was healthy after the trade deadline, he played the least TOI of any forward in 2 of the 3 games and was 2nd to last in the other game.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

I don't think Sullivan would do it because he's infatuated with that 4th line, but I'd put Tanev on the 3rd line and move Marleau down to the 4th.

As for Bjugstad, barring another player getting hurt (which of course will happen), I think the only other way he gets in the line-up is if Sheary sucks. And in that case he's probably just the 4th line RW and Hornqvist gets moved up to the top line.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
I don't think Sullivan would do it because he's infatuated with that 4th line, but I'd put Tanev on the 3rd line and move Marleau down to the 4th.

As for Bjugstad, barring another player getting hurt (which of course will happen), I think the only other way he gets in the line-up is if Sheary sucks. And in that case he's probably just the 4th line RW and Hornqvist gets moved up to the top line.

Bjugstad did have his highest point season as a wing. I could see that as well.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

I think you will see TB out first tbh. When we were healthy many moons ago Bjugs and McCann were both in over him. I think the org sees them as more versatile playing wing and center. Has Teddy played the wing even once?

Zucker-Crosby-Sheary
Jake-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-Bjugs-Hornqvist
ZAR-McCann-Tanev
TB
Erod
Lafferty

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think you will see TB out first tbh. When we were healthy many moons ago Bjugs and McCann were both in over him. I think the org sees them as more versatile playing wing and center. Has Teddy played the wing even once?

Zucker-Crosby-Sheary
Jake-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-Bjugs-Hornqvist
ZAR-McCann-Tanev
TB
Erod
Lafferty

No chance.

Reactions: Factorial

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

Zucker-Crosby-Sheary
Jake-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-Bjugs-Hornqvist
ZAR-McCann-Tanev
TB
Erod
Lafferty

With what Teddy does on the PK and forechecking, replacing Bjugstad for him would be the absolute biggest ass backwards move in the entire world.

There isn’t a more polar opposite two players on this team.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
No chance.

I never said it would be the smart thing to do. But I feel like he has often got the short end of the stick and will again.

With what Teddy does on the PK and forechecking, replacing Bjugstad for him would be the absolute biggest ass backwards move in the entire world.

There isn’t a more polar opposite two players on this team.

Again I don't think it's the right move. I just don't see him sitting Bjugs or Mcann. Also this is all dependent if the season resumes and in what capacity. None of these guys are going to look the same they did 3 or 4 month after the stoppage.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I never said it would be the smart thing to do. But I feel like he has often got the short end of the stick and will again.

Again I don't think it's the right move. I just don't see him sitting Bjugs or Mcann. Also this is all dependent if the season resumes and in what capacity. None of these guys are going to look the same they did 3 or 4 month after the stoppage.

I just don’t see how Bjugstad has a spot right now. And if he does, it certainly isn’t at the expense of the group of McCann, Blueger or Tanev. Any of the 3 would take away greatly from our speed, forechecking and most importantly the PK.

If Bjugstad is going to replace anyone, it will be ZAR as a 4th line winger. Honestly, I’d rather have ERod in the lineup before Bjugstad with this team is currently constructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad