The All Purpose Pens Off Day(s?) Thread - Injuries, Practice, Injuries, Lines, More Injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
... if the captain is out there busting his ass in practice then why isn't everyone else?

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That attitude from your best player tells you everything you need to know about why Iverson's teams never won anything despite his individual talent and effort.

Imagine hearing your captain say that. This is the guy I'm supposed to model my work habits after?

Practice? f*** a practice.
I hate Basketball, I think most B-ball players are selfish douche wanks. But imagine if the 76ers drafted Steve Nash instead.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Posted this in the NHL thread:

NHL, NHLPA working on 24-team conference-based playoff setup - Sportsnet.ca

Looks like the Pens will get a 5 game series with the Habs as a "play-in" for the playoffs, and then will play the Flyers if they beat the Habs. I'm curious to see if Guentzel is good to go for that 1st round, which starter the Penguins will go with (I imagine Murray starts, but has a short leash) and if the Penguins can keep their 1st rounder if they lose to the Habs. I'm expecting the Penguins will start with this lineup for the playoffs:

Guentzel-Crosby-Zucker
Marleau-Malkin-Rust
Sheary-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Schultz

Reactions: 2wayPlay

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I want to see the 24-team tourney but I’m not convinced the Pens beat Carey Price in a best of three series...it’d be really disappointing if they go out immediately to a team that was out of the playoffs and 15 points behind them...

Reactions: ColePens

wizmet12

wizmet1_2
Feb 19, 2014

Looks like the Pens will get a 5 game series with the Habs as a "play-in" for the playoffs, and then will play the Flyers if they beat the Habs. I'm curious to see if Guentzel is good to go for that 1st round, which starter the Penguins will go with (I imagine Murray starts, but has a short leash) and if the Penguins can keep their 1st rounder if they lose to the Habs. I'm expecting the Penguins will start with this lineup for the playoffs:

Guentzel-Crosby-Zucker
Marleau-Malkin-Rust
Sheary-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Schultz

I don't like the idea of 24 team based play off, but i do like the proposed line up. Let's go Pens

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Guentzel-Crosby-Zucker
Marleau-Malkin-Rust
Sheary-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Schultz

So if the Pens lose to the Habs... that means they didn’t make the playoffs and keep their first rounder?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I want to see the 24-team tourney but I’m not convinced the Pens beat Carey Price in a best of three series...it’d be really disappointing if they go out immediately to a team that was out of the playoffs and 15 points behind them...

Looking more like best of 5 as opposed to best of 3. And Price gets horribly overrated. Not saying the Penguins couldn't find a way to lose, but other than 2014 he hasn't done anything to deserve the playoff hype he gets.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, that's what I was wondering about. I guess it depends if the "play-in games" count as playoffs or not.

Seems kind of cheap if they lose their pick and don’t even make it into whatever they deem the playoffs for this setup... and I don’t know how the hell they could consider a field of 24 teams all playoff teams.

Basically the play in tournament should be considered a mini replacement for the final regular season games.

Whomever loses those play in rounds, should be considered teams that missed the playoffs.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Looking more like best of 5 as opposed to best of 3. And Price gets horribly overrated. Not saying the Penguins couldn't find a way to lose, but other than 2014 he hasn't done anything to deserve the playoff hype he gets.

it’s the Pens though...if they can get Halaked by MTL, then they can get Priced too...we’ve seen it way too often...yes, I’m a Negative Nellie but I’ve been conditioned, like Pavlov...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

100%. I'll be jaded if we lose. I'll be happy if we win. It just feels weird. I don't know.

To think we played a worthless season to only play a crap team who now hits a little nice 2 game run and the Pens are out. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'll be mad if the Penguins lose because Guentzel-Crosby-Zucker should be globetrotting on the Habs. But my prediction is that if the Penguins lose in the 1st round, it's going to be due to goaltending.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
100%. I'll be jaded if we lose. I'll be happy if we win. It just feels weird. I don't know.

To think we played a worthless season to only play a crap team who now hits a little nice 2 game run and the Pens are out. :laugh:

If they get to keep their first rounder, then whatever.

The last time the Pens played seemed like ages ago, but with injuries and shit, I recall feeling way less optimistic about their chances.

Most guys are probably healed up now I suppose, so who knows what to expect.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It just doesn't represent the season. The season was on hold. This is like a wild west tourney for quite a prestigious trophy. It's quite monumental. I'm really torn on it. At the end of the day, it's just a sport, but you can just see how much money is playing a role into this so we can get that tv revenue.

Reactions: wheelz87 and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
there’s a decent chance, since this a shoulder injury, that Jake is not up to his regular stellar play when the games start...couple that with Murray being cold (hope Sully is smart enough to pull him quickly if he’s not up to speed) and new lines needing to mesh and I think it’s a recipe for a Pens early exit....Sully should not be inserting players in new lines...keep the lines as they were...that’s why I’d be keeping Zucker-Sid-Sheary on L1 and insert Jake back on L2...too much manipulation is not good for a restart

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't like the 24 team tournament.

What if the Habs or Blackhawks win the cup? How stupid would that look?

I think every playoff series would be a coin flip and completely unpredictable, their is just no way you can predict how any of these teams will look coming off a long layoff.

Reactions: wheelz87 and Andy99

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It just doesn't represent the season. The season was on hold. This is like a wild west tourney for quite a prestigious trophy. It's quite monumental. I'm really torn on it. At the end of the day, it's just a sport, but you can just see how much money is playing a role into this so we can get that tv revenue.

Any pro league is about money, no doubt.

However, any of us who have been fans of the NHL the last couple decades should not act naive... the league puts the notion out there they value the prestige of the cup, but it’s all bullshit.

They dumped all over the sanctity of the cup in 95, 04 and 13. So awarding a cup using this 24 team format doesn’t change much in my eyes.

This isn’t a league that has a consistent history of valuing tradition the last 25 years.

Let’s be frank... this league has pissed all over the fans and the cup at their whims. We would be fools to spout off about tradition and shit when this league has never valued it over economics.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
I doubt this really happens. It will be logistical and planning nightmare to pull off if nothing else. You are looking at approximately 1000 people descending on 2 -4 cities. Looks like they would be US based, as there are much stricter rules on Canada side about border crossing. Players are all over Europe, Canada and US. Players that are in Europe right now need to find a way to get home 1st. If they live in Canada, that means they have to quarantine for 2 weeks when they come in from Europe. Then when they cross into US, they have to quarantine again for 2 weeks. There is 4 weeks gone right there. Players said they want 3 week training camp, so that number has gone now to 7 weeks before 1st game can even be played. That means earliest games can be played is 20th of July. You will need about 2 months to finish playoffs, so you are looking at end of september to finish off season. NHL has said they will not sacrifice any game next season, so if they were to start beginning of october as usual that means there is 2 weeks between end of playoffs and start of next season.

Then you have question about what are non playoff teams doing this whole time. Players said they dont want to be away from their families for 3 months potentially, so who knows if they would buy in for all this, especially if they are non playoff teams. NHLPA needs to vote on any plan so there is that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad