Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread | DeSmith Re-assigned, Jarry Recalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Corrado requires waivers to be sent down so they may keep him up for the duration of Ruhwedel's absence. They were carrying 8 D since the Oleksiak trade so Corrado is just the 8th D now that Ruhwedel is injured, so it shouldn't automatically mean both Letang and Schultz couldn't return tomorrow.

I thought he was exempt until he played a few more games or was it time up. I can’t remember. I don’t think he’s reached it yet but very close.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I think it’s 10 games or 30 days up. He’s either really close or over the days mark and it makes that time he was randomly up for a day worse.

By my count Corrado has spent 32 days in NHL this season.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
perhaps this belongs in it's own thread, but Murray is actually starting to concern me just a little. I'm not saying OMG we should've kept Fleury or anything like that. But I'm wondering if Bales being gone has had an impact. Certainly our team has done our goalies no favors. But it is troubling. Murray is 37th in the league for save percentage. This is really the first real stretch of games where he's had to play for a team that is playing worse then the other team hither to we have been the dominant team. It would always be brought up when Fleury was the starter how the backup's #'s where compared to Fleury's. Well here we are with Murray at a .902, and Jarry at a .921. That's pretty glaring. Of course Jarry's is a smaller sample size so who knows if that will regress. I am concerned with how goals are going in on Murray, through him and under him have leaked in too often this season. I think his glove hand is worse now then the beginning of the season. All that said, it could just be a slump, he'll work his way out of it and all that. But here we are half way through the season and Murray has 36 other goalies with better save percentages. What concerns me more is that his #1 attribute has been to be a calming influence and be able to play steady, consistent goal tending. We are not getting that from him right now. I'm more posting this up to see if anyone else is concerned? We aren't going anywhere this season if we don't get better goal tending. I know Murray is not a primary reason we are terrible, but he is part of the problem. It could really help this team if he could go on a tear and steal a few games down the stretch.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Murray's play would have been fine so far this year if the team wouldn't suck in front of him. Sure, he's not at what he was last year, but what he was last year is unrealistic to expect when this team is playing like this. If the team was even playing just fine defensively on the year, Murray would probably be at like a .915 save% at worst right now.

Reactions: td_ice and Finesse

The Gobfather*

May 2, 2014
perhaps this belongs in it's own thread, but Murray is actually starting to concern me just a little. I'm not saying OMG we should've kept Fleury or anything like that. But I'm wondering if Bales being gone has had an impact. Certainly our team has done our goalies no favors. But it is troubling. Murray is 37th in the league for save percentage. This is really the first real stretch of games where he's had to play for a team that is playing worse then the other team hither to we have been the dominant team. It would always be brought up when Fleury was the starter how the backup's #'s where compared to Fleury's. Well here we are with Murray at a .902, and Jarry at a .921. That's pretty glaring. Of course Jarry's is a smaller sample size so who knows if that will regress. I am concerned with how goals are going in on Murray, through him and under him have leaked in too often this season. I think his glove hand is worse now then the beginning of the season. All that said, it could just be a slump, he'll work his way out of it and all that. But here we are half way through the season and Murray has 36 other goalies with better save percentages. What concerns me more is that his #1 attribute has been to be a calming influence and be able to play steady, consistent goal tending. We are not getting that from him right now. I'm more posting this up to see if anyone else is concerned? We aren't going anywhere this season if we don't get better goal tending. I know Murray is not a primary reason we are terrible, but he is part of the problem. It could really help this team if he could go on a tear and steal a few games down the stretch.

But if the team didn’t go full Pejorative Slur in front of his constantly it would be a different story

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m a big Murray fan but blaming his issues on the rest of the team is just an easy out. He’s giving up goals on routine shots. I’m concerned with his play and his injury issues.

The Gobfather*

May 2, 2014
I’m a big Murray fan but blaming his issues on the rest of the team is just an easy out. He’s giving up goals on routine shots. I’m concerned with his play and his injury issues.
Not blaming all of it on the team but they aren’t helping if maybe they played even halfway decent defense on some of the goals it would be a different story.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I guess hes the one to send down when Ruh gets back. Id hate to lose him to waivers, hes been a decent call up for injuries. But, with Oleksiak in the fold now, hes probably no more than a #9 on this team.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Not blaming all of it on the team but they aren’t helping if maybe they played even halfway decent defense on some of the goals it would be a different story.
Oh I agree, but it goes both ways though. Both the defense and Murray are sucking this season. Sure, Murray would play better if the defense was more effective.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I guess hes the one to send down when Ruh gets back. Id hate to lose him to waivers, hes been a decent call up for injuries. But, with Oleksiak in the fold now, hes probably no more than a #9 on this team.

I’d imagine a trade happens soon. A D for a F.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
But I'm wondering if Bales being gone has had an impact. Certainly our team has done our goalies no favors.

I'll just touch on this. When they let Bales go (who I was a big fan of his work with MAF), one of the reasons stated was because it was Mike Buckley who was mostly working with Murray, not Bales.

Reactions: Clare2904

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Were also all assuming that everyone is going to be healthy. Which will last as long as my diet.

Seems like we’ll have Schultz and Letang shortly. That’ll be 8D + Ruh (who looks more like an internal deadline acquisition at this stage)

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
oh I get it that a goalie's play is intrinsically linked with the team play. if murray was playing steady but just giving up those unstoppable chances I wouldn't even say a peep. the problem is when the team is not giving hardly any goal support and giving up bad chances against, when your goalie also lets in stoppable pucks it really cascades.

Buffalo is bad, like legitimately bad, probably worse then the Penguins but yet Lehner has a 13% higher save pct? Jarry's sample size is smaller, but he got starting duties for a while there, not just the backup role and he's almost 20% higher. You can wave your hand at that all you want but there is something to those numbers.

still our primary problem is Crosby and Letang. Our star players have to play like star players.

Just I like to discuss goalies because it's my thing ;)

I'll just touch on this. When they let Bales go (who I was a big fan of his work with MAF), one of the reasons stated was because it was Mike Buckley who was mostly working with Murray, not Bales.

yea I do recall that, but even if Buckley was working with Murray I guess I was wondering if Bales had oversight since he was the head honcho. If he had zero input on what murray should be working on or the drills run in practice then yea his departure would have minimal impact.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Buffalo is bad, like legitimately bad, probably worse then the Penguins but yet Lehner has a 13% higher save pct? Jarry's sample size is smaller, but he got starting duties for a while there, not just the backup role and he's almost 20% higher. You can wave your hand at that all you want but there is something to those numbers.

It's not the first time, not will it be the last time we've seen goalies on bad teams with inflated SVG%.

As for Jarry, I've thought for a bit now that the guys actually seem to play a little smarter in front of him. Not because I think he's a better goalie, but because they're trying to be better for him. With Murray they trust him and know he's good, thus they can play a little looser in front of him and take chances. I typically do not see them doing the same to Jarry - at least not as often. No clue if that's true or not, but that's been my take for a little while now (since his first few games).

I haven't run the numbers, but someone (Yost?) said that if you take out the CHI and WPG game, his SV% goes up by something like 15-20 points. Not saying his play has been acceptable either, but I do not think it's been nearly as bad as his stat line suggests.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Five key questions for the Penguins in 2018

a bit about murray in that.

Consider that he’s 7-11 in his last 18 decisions with a .897 save percentage, including allowing four goals on 23 shots Sunday in Detroit. Are those stats reflective of Murray’s pedigree? Absolutely not.

As far as the team playing different in front of Jarry, not sure there. That's such a hard thing to quantify, does the team look more competent because the goalie plays better ? or vice versa? Regardless by any objective measure Murray is no where near the level we expect him to be at. But I *do* have faith he will get back to that level, it's just we need him to get there like now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Sure it's a concern. I'm having trouble getting too worked up about it because there are far bigger issues. Hard to say if Bales leaving had any effect. I thought Bales was let go because Buckley was Murray's coach, so can't imagine why Bales leaving would materially hurt Murray.

Like you, I am concerned about how some goals are going through and under him. That said, the amount of point blank chances is pretty absurd and combine that with a goalie struggling a bit and the results are fairly glaring. It would sure help if the team could give him some goal support.

Reactions: vikingGoalie

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

I agree with so much of this post. MM doesn't pass the "eye test" this year and you've touched on a number of goals going through him and that's definitely concerning for a guy who is 6'4 and pretty lanky.

I think part of his problem is he's trying to do too much and people who don't know the position will look at that and wonder what you're smoking. When I've played on some horrible teams I found myself moving too much, trying to be more Dominek Hasek and that type of style opens up holes in your body. I know that's an extreme example but when I see MM I don't see the confidence of him squaring up and letting the puck hit him like we saw the previous 2 yrs. He's reaching too much...he's got a bunch of unnecessary movement and I think part of that is he thinks he needs to be superman because the team in front of him has been terrible

Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Murray hasn't been good enough this year, but people zeroing in on him when this team can't score goals either have an agenda to push or they're horribly misguided with the real issues on this team. Every line but Malkin's line sucks at scoring at ES, and Malkin's line is also below where it should be at in terms of ES scoring. It doesn't matter if they lose 6-1 or 3-1, they all count for the same.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
I think Murray is no doubt letting in more softies than before. I used to love that while Murray didn't do much game stealing, you could 100% count on him to make the saves he was supposed to. This year not so much.

More than anything though, from my hockey experience, it's all ships falling with the tides. Our d zone play sucks. We aren't closely marking, filling lanes, taking away options, or limiting rebounds well. I would love to hear from a goalie, but I have to figure that the position is far easier when you can rely on your team to take away the right options and allow you to focus on making the save on the shooter. If you are worried about two other guys who are open, rebounds needing to go to the perfect spot, etc - because the d unit is not taking these things away, it becomes infinitely harder.

It's not an excuse. His numbers are bad enough vs comps to show he owns some of the result too. But the fix is the team and not just him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad