Pre-Game Talk: The All-Purpose Mike Sullivan Thread - ALL COMMENTS AND COMPLAINTS HERE

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Were these things obvious when the early 2018 Penguins were one of the best teams in the league? Funny how obvious all these problems become when your D sucks and your goalies are below average.
Things started (as I said at the time) when Cole was traded. There were things prior to that under the surface but that trade started things going downhill for the team. And Sully via JR got rid of someone he didn't like, Reaves also.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I’m not sure if this is rhetorical or not, so I’ll answer seriously just in case:

The same people pushing these Dupuis comments as a sign of how bad Sully is also make up 90% of the posts in the Sprong thread.

Well, that part I did notice.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I’ve said multiple times I have no problem with them going nuclear and firing Sullivan.

I just don’t think it’ll have the effect you want.
See, you think I just want that to be the thing that's done.

Say this continues, we lose, we're out of the playoffs...

1. Fire Sullivan, Recchi, and Martin.
2. Fire/Promote Rutherford to a Team President role.
3. Search for a GM, let Guerin pretend interview for the job.

Again, this team wants to hold everyone accountable but the coaching staff. It's a culture issue.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Things started (as I said at the time) when Cole was traded. There were things prior to that under the surface but that trade started things going downhill for the team. And Sully via JR got rid of someone he didn't like, Reaves also.
Aren’t you the guy who was having a legitimate nervous breakdown during the TDL last year with regards to a 3C?

I generally don’t call people out on sources and bullshit, but I’d be willing to bet all I hold near and dear that the closest you’ve come to insider info regarding the Penguins is sitting ringside at the WCW

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Sully didn’t get rid of Cole and was giving him ice time up until he was traded. Hunwick was brought in partly because JR resigned himself to not re-signing the guy.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
See, you think I just want that to be the thing that's done.

Say this continues, we lose, we're out of the playoffs...

1. Fire Sullivan, Recchi, and Martin.
2. Fire/Promote Rutherford to a Team President role.
3. Search for a GM, let Guerin pretend interview for the job.

Again, this team wants to hold everyone accountable but the coaching staff. It's a culture issue.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaching staff is let go if they miss the playoffs.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
What does Sprong have to do with this?

Kessel and Malkin share nothing besides both not playing that great night to night right now. Kessel being 3 months removed from his best season and Malkin 1 month removed from a 3 year stretch of 95-100 point hockey.

That's a nice way of saying "badly" and "net negatives to the team" right now.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I’m not a Sullivan “fan” insofar as I have much emotional investment in him. I just want the Pens to suceeed and know full well that there is a huge chance of the team hiring someone demonstrably worse to replace him, and that the reasons for firing him frankly suck and can be applied to every “good” coach in the league, who are all less successful at that.

Reactions: Shady Machine

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaching staff is let go if they miss the playoffs.
For sure.

I wouldn’t have ruled out an in season firing, but the team is in a playoff spot and has legitimate reasons for not being better right now.

Plus, hard for the GM to fire the coach when he’s responsible for a large part of their problems.

Reactions: KIRK

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Aren’t you the guy who was having a legitimate nervous breakdown during the TDL last year with regards to a 3C?

I generally don’t call people out on sources and bull****, but I’d be willing to bet all I hold near and dear that the closest you’ve come to insider info regarding the Penguins is sitting ringside at the WCW
The way that trade was handled and the delay was awful. I didn't think the Sens dealt in good faith and I thought JR should pursue some other course. Initially I wanted Brassard but it was drug out too long.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The way that trade was handled and the delay was awful. I didn't think the Sens dealt in good faith and I thought JR should pursue some other course. Initially I wanted Brassard but it was drug out too long.
Anyone with any inside information knew exactly what was going on. Stop acting like you do. You don’t.

Reactions: IamTheArm and KIRK

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
A believer can look at a piece of toast and see a symbol

A non-believer can look at the same piece of toast and see something burnt.

Is Malkin frustrated? Unquestionably.
Is Kessel frustrated? Unquestionably.

Are they frustrated because Sully is a bad coach? Or frustrated because the team isn’t playing well and injuries have robbed them of playing in ideal conditions?

Your preconceived notions about those involved probably shapes your interpretation of the current situation

So your inside sources are suggesting Malkin and Kessel are frustrated with eating burnt toast?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Anyone with any inside information knew exactly what was going on. Stop acting like you do. You don’t.
And what was going on was BS, it shouldn't have gone down that way. Any anyone with inside info would know that. JR got taken for a ride.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We’re not in a playoff spot anymore :(.
I9pLWxs.gif

WE JUST GOTTA PLAY THE RIGHT WAY, THE ANSWERS ARE IN THE DRESSING ROOM!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Seriously one of the best things I've heard. Dupers... starting drama about a coach. All while he was coached by Dan f***ing Bylsma. :laugh: Good lord. Classic stuff right there. Who is next to speak out? Craig Adams? What a load of shit.

As people already mentioned. There is massive frustration and I said 2 million times the hardest part of Sully's coaching career is when he has to deal with adversity of his own and keep the team invested/on track. He's losing that battle this year. He's not listening to what Bowman said to him. He's starting to lose the team and I don't need Pascal f***ing Dupuis to tell me that. It's obvious. But that isn't all on Sully and it's laughable to put that all on him.

Just like the players, Sully needs to pick it up. Not every player is Sidney Crosby, the perfect hockey player. You have to be creative with the Phil Kessels of the world. You have to be creative with the Genos of the world. They are god-like talented when it comes to hockey skills and it's a coach's responsibility to be creative in pushing a button yet knowing when to give them slack.

They all need to get better. JR, Sully, and the players. I cut this pie of blame equally.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Seriously one of the best things I've heard. Dupers... starting drama about a coach. All while he was coached by Dan ****ing Bylsma. :laugh: Good lord. Classic stuff right there. Who is next to speak out? Craig Adams? What a load of ****.

As people already mentioned. There is massive frustration and I said 2 million times the hardest part of Sully's coaching career is when he has to deal with adversity of his own and keep the team invested/on track. He's losing that battle this year. He's not listening to what Bowman said to him. He's starting to lose the team and I don't need Pascal ****ing Dupuis to tell me that. It's obvious. But that isn't all on Sully and it's laughable to put that all on him.

Just like the players, Sully needs to pick it up. Not every player is Sidney Crosby, the perfect hockey player. You have to be creative with the Phil Kessels of the world. You have to be creative with the Genos of the world. They are god-like talented when it comes to hockey skills and it's a coach's responsibility to be creative in pushing a button yet knowing when to give them slack.

They all need to get better. JR, Sully, and the players. I cut this pie of blame equally.
Best I can hope for at this point is for JR to fix the shit he's made a mess of to make it easier for Sully not to make a bigger mess that he's making and for the players to get the message clearer.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Seriously one of the best things I've heard. Dupers... starting drama about a coach. All while he was coached by Dan ****ing Bylsma. :laugh: Good lord. Classic stuff right there. Who is next to speak out? Craig Adams? What a load of ****.

As people already mentioned. There is massive frustration and I said 2 million times the hardest part of Sully's coaching career is when he has to deal with adversity of his own and keep the team invested/on track. He's losing that battle this year. He's not listening to what Bowman said to him. He's starting to lose the team and I don't need Pascal ****ing Dupuis to tell me that. It's obvious. But that isn't all on Sully and it's laughable to put that all on him.

Toast, pie ... all this talk of food is making me hungry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad