The All-Purpose David Desharnais thread (post-Pressbox edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Give credit where it's due. There was a vocal handful who were very upset at the timing and the details of the extension.

This was in so many ways an avoidable catastrophe. DD had no leverage whatsoever, if he was extended for 2 years at 3.5 we wouldn't be caring so much but at 4 years he's really anchored himself and it's clear that it's affecting him as well.

All that said, his play was brutal last season as well. He fell off just like Gomez did, but at least Gomez was a winner and an NHL player. DD is nothing.

Great intelligence on display there, champ.

edit: This board, like all of sports fandom, has a strong and evident anti-intellectual slant. It's run MathMan away despite him bringing tons of evidence to every argument, now apparently PhDs and other educated folk are going to get their degrees and experienced thrown back at them by a bunch of petulant children. Sad.

not my fault people NEEDING to be reminded of such simplistic concepts, capitaine.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
edit: This board, like all of sports fandom, has a strong and evident anti-intellectual slant. It's run MathMan away despite him bringing tons of evidence to every argument, now apparently PhDs and other educated folk are going to get their degrees and experienced thrown back at them by a bunch of petulant children. Sad.

you think way too highly of yourself le grand, you're Elvis Gratton chef, nothing more.

Your name fits you well JD.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Even Gomez shot the puck more often than Desharnais :laugh:

same pattern though, Gomez was a great passer, mostly gliding in the offensive zone waiting for someone to pass the puck to... once he got figured out, his whole game disappeared.

DD is the same, his moves dont work anymore and he cannot adjust, the moves he was doing were the only one he could execute well... he got figured out, cannot adjust (he tries though) therefore, at the end of his contract he'll be out of the NHL or have maybe a team or two gambling on him for a year at minimum salary.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's not the first time I see you do this, and honestly you should drop it.

You're not showing any more hockey knowledge (or any less for that matter) than the average poster here, considering this you're pretty quick when it comes to criticise other people's judgement, even laugh at other people's intelligence.

lest not forget school doesnt get people intelligence, it gets them an education, that is all.

Nobody is talking about education, just you. BTW: Lyrical has an engineering degree. Nor is it about intelligence, though we are lucky as there are plenty of intelligent people on this board.

It is about attitude and desire. When you are severely wrong about something -- which happens to everyone, all the time -- you should reflect on it. Lyrical clearly considers this important as he is going around insulting people. It is the wrong approach, but whatever, his loss. In principal, failure can be the greatest form of education.

It would actually be very informative for the former Desharnais defenders (and sometimes Eller skeptics) to think about how and why they were wrong, and to write it out.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
same pattern though, Gomez was a great passer, mostly gliding in the offensive zone waiting for someone to pass the puck to... once he got figured out, his whole game disappeared.

DD is the same, his moves dont work anymore and he cannot adjust, the moves he was doing were the only one he could execute well... he got figured out, cannot adjust (he tries though) therefore, at the end of his contract he'll be out of the NHL or have maybe a team or two gambling on him for a year at minimum salary.

Well said, he's been figured out and neutralizing him isn't exceptionally hard.

Most good talent evaluators can see that flaw in him game early on.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Nobody is talking about education, just you. BTW: Lyrical has an engineering degree. Nor is it about intelligence, though we are lucky as there are plenty of intelligent people on this board.

It is about attitude and desire. When you are severely wrong about something -- which happens to everyone, all the time -- you should reflect on it. Lyrical clearly considers this important as he is going around insulting people. It is the wrong approach, but whatever, his loss. In principal, failure can be the greatest form of education.

It would actually be very informative for the former Desharnais defenders (and sometimes Eller skeptics) to think about how and why they were wrong, and to write it out.

#1 I said you hid under a rock for 14 games. If you're offended or insulted, it's probably because it's true.

#2 You were too busy to respond but did bring up Bergevin using "character" in his sentences. How's that going for you? Is it time for self-reflection at how ridiculous that is or will you push till he gets fired after his shelf life is over like any other GM/Coach?

At no point did I insult you. What name did I call you? In fact, you responded with calling me confused and having irrational arguments after I remarked you've been in hiding regarding Eller during his slump. That's when I pointed out your irrational thread.

Still, you had time to give me a lecture from your high horse. Let me know when you realize how 'severely wrong' you were about that thread. Then maybe, your lectures will mean something.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Montreal Mayor, Dennis Coderre tweeted that he should be sent to Hamilton lol

Which is hilarious(in a funny way, not bad way).

I've said it before, I wish he was benched for more than 1 game. From a perspective of rejuvenating his career I highly doubt 1 game of press box perspective will make him hungry or wiser enough.

In addition, considering re-entry does not exist, Hamilton may be a realistic option but it may also damage him further. Hopefully, it's done with the proper message, that it's up to him to bounce back and get confidence, not that it's over.

I say "not over" because it's too soon to pull the plug. Not because he doesn't suck but because since you can't someone out mid year it's probably worth being cautious but not reactionary. With 75% of the season and playoffs left, you never know when you need a depth forward. Also, the buyout cost isn't pretty so it's worth investing a little further, be it in Hamilton or the press box.

In DD's case, it's reaching a point where all options are exhausted and his NHL career may depend on him going back to the basics and joining Hamilton.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

DD doesn't even shoot anymore. It's kind of pathetic. I know the guy can't dominate into traffic but get a shot on net, guys like pacioretty, bourque or whoever he's lined up with can get a rebound. Keep it simple, get shots on net. I remember on PP he got the puck, had a chance to make a play but no confidence, just passed it back to the point.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
A question i havent seen answered yet, if DD is sent to the minors, does his salary still count against the cap under the new CBA?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
#1 I said you hid under a rock for 14 games. If you're offended or insulted, it's probably because it's true.

#2 You were too busy to respond but did bring up Bergevin using "character" in his sentences. How's that going for you? Is it time for self-reflection at how ridiculous that is or will you push till he gets fired after his shelf life is over like any other GM/Coach?

At no point did I insult you. What name did I call you? In fact, you responded with calling me confused and having irrational arguments after I remarked you've been in hiding regarding Eller during his slump. That's when I pointed out your irrational thread.

Still, you had time to give me a lecture from your high horse. Let me know when you realize how 'severely wrong' you were about that thread. Then maybe, your lectures will mean something.

I was not hiding under a rock, I was simply not responding to every single post. I will continue not responding to most posts :) in any case, other people were adequately refuting your anti eller argument, I think it was Et Le But, so I had nothing to add.

As for character and bergevin, my position stands and is agreed upon by a large swath of the forum, the blogosphere, and ironically, Bergevin himself. I acknowledged being right by bumping the thread.

One thing I was wrong about was the 2013 tank. I wrote a long post exploring it in one of the tank threads.

Anyway, you were wrong about Desharnais and Eller. It remains to be seen if you ever explore why your judgment failed you. Inquiring minds want to know. You are a smart guy, you invested a lot of time thinking about Desharnais and Eller, and you were incorrect. What went wrong?

Saintpatrick*

Don't we get a 3rd amnesty buyout sometime in the next couple of years? Seriously though DD had to work hard to get to the NHL level I think he's forgotten that. 1 game in the press box acomplishes absolutely jack. Send him to Hamilton and let him earn his way back to the NHL if he can. Bring up Leblanc and see what he can do

If i was in Hamilton fighting my way to get to the show and I saw some other guy coasting and doing nothing yet getting preferential treatment I'd be pissed.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

you're doing it again.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
DD doesn't even shoot anymore. It's kind of pathetic. I know the guy can't dominate into traffic but get a shot on net, guys like pacioretty, bourque or whoever he's lined up with can get a rebound. Keep it simple, get shots on net. I remember on PP he got the puck, had a chance to make a play but no confidence, just passed it back to the point.

That's pretty much it, he got figured out, so to speak, and he has no solution.

It's harder for guys like him (and Gomez), they were very very good at one or two things only, their toolbox is really small, so when that one or two tricks that made em reach the NHL stop working, well they become totally useless.

In their particular case it's not even about fundamentals like others tried to argue, it's as simple as knowing only two tricks and failing at doing both 100% of the time. They never practiced a third one.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
Well DD should ask Parros for some advice and quickly learn how to fight so he can become the Habs new goon if he wants to stay in the NHL...:fight:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He is worse than Gomez ever was. Gomez could at least skate the puck into the zone and occasionally slap one at the goalies chest.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
He is worse than Gomez ever was. Gomez could at least skate the puck into the zone and occasionally slap one at the goalies chest.
Gomez had 11 points in 38 games playing 14 minutes a game including 2 minutes of PP time, a little less than DD. That's ~500% more productive than DD.

It's good though that DD is playing less well than Gomez. He might actually be removed from the team, let's be honest, if Desharnais had more luck and was at 5 points rather than 1 point, he probably would be getting a free pass.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I was not hiding under a rock, I was simply not responding to every single post. I will continue not responding to most posts :) in any case, other people were adequately refuting your anti eller argument, I think it was Et Le But, so I had nothing to add.

As for character and bergevin, my position stands and is agreed upon by a large swath of the forum, the blogosphere, and ironically, Bergevin himself. I acknowledged being right by bumping the thread.

One thing I was wrong about was the 2013 tank. I wrote a long post exploring it in one of the tank threads.

Anyway, you were wrong about Desharnais and Eller. It remains to be seen if you ever explore why your judgment failed you. Inquiring minds want to know. You are a smart guy, you invested a lot of time thinking about Desharnais and Eller, and you were incorrect. What went wrong?

Oh well, you had a chance to learn from your failure.

Let's move on now. There's no common ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad