The All-Purpose David Desharnais thread (post-Pressbox edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes it is his fault and he must be held accountable, but I always thought it was weird that a player had absolutely no other obligation than to show up in order to earn his contract's money. In other words, in a performance driven industry, performance over the course of the contract has no effect whatsoever on the player's ability to keep his job. Seems like the kind of logic that doesn't apply to the rest of the world and not the greatest incentive to keep pushing yourself once you signed on the dotted line.
Teams should be held to the contracts they sign. If not and a player got hurt and then wasn't playing as well they'd be at risk.

GMs always have the option of buyouts or sending a player down to the minors unless they stupidly (see Briere) offer up a no movement clause.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yes it is his fault and he must be held accountable, but I always thought it was weird that a player had absolutely no other obligation than to show up in order to earn his contract's money. In other words, in a performance driven industry, performance over the course of the contract has no effect whatsoever on the player's ability to keep his job. Seems like the kind of logic that doesn't apply to the rest of the world and not the greatest incentive to keep pushing yourself once you signed on the dotted line.

If money is what drives the player then you might not want to sign the guy.
I don't think money is what drives DD, I just don't think he's that good. I'm pretty sure his goal is to be a good regular player in the NHL, not a healthy scratch forced back down to Hamilton.

There was no need to sign DD to a 4 year deal, no reason to extend him when we did, this should fall on Bergevin not the player. Had he waited, we could have signed him to a 2 year deal.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
If DD was an anglo-canadian we wouldn't be in this mess.

That is what pisses me off about this signing. If it was purely a misjudgment on MB's part I can somewhat tolerate. But this was a political play and DD essentially won the ''Lotto Quebec''... and for that I have zero tolerance.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

That is what pisses me off about this signing. If it was purely a misjudgment on MB's part I can somewhat tolerate. But this was a political play and DD essentially won the ''Lotto Quebec''... and for that I have zero tolerance.

What makes you think that it wasn't?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Give credit where it's due. There was a vocal handful who were very upset at the timing and the details of the extension.

This was in so many ways an avoidable catastrophe. DD had no leverage whatsoever, if he was extended for 2 years at 3.5 we wouldn't be caring so much but at 4 years he's really anchored himself and it's clear that it's affecting him as well.

All that said, his play was brutal last season as well. He fell off just like Gomez did, but at least Gomez was a winner and an NHL player. DD is nothing.

Great intelligence on display there, champ.

edit: This board, like all of sports fandom, has a strong and evident anti-intellectual slant. It's run MathMan away despite him bringing tons of evidence to every argument, now apparently PhDs and other educated folk are going to get their degrees and experienced thrown back at them by a bunch of petulant children. Sad.
You should become an NHL GM. There are a few online courses you can take to get you there.

I'll even pay your tuition for the first two courses....

"Internet GM 101"
and
"Hindsight. How to Make It Work In Your Favor"

Interested?

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
You should become an NHL GM. There are a few online courses you can take to get you there.

I'll even pay your tuition for the first two courses....

"Internet GM 101"
and
"Hindsight. How to Make It Work In Your Favor"

Interested?

Predicting Desharnais would regress from where he was 2 years ago was very common, it's hardly hindsight except among those who wanted to use him as an excuse to trade Plekanec.

It's surprising he's gotten this bad though, I assumed he'd be a 50ish point guy regularly as long as he was given soft matchups.

It didn't take expertise to be confused about the extension though, especially when players who have proven more were given bridge contracts.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I thought it was curious.. wait enraging .. when DD goofed up on his coverage in the defensive zone and we were scored upon...DD is sitting on the bench and gets a pat on the back, encouragement etc from the coaching staff.

P.K or Gally make the same mistake.. they have a strip tore off of them.

I'm starting to see the favouritism to a certain breed of hockey player I chose to ignore wasn't there. I believe it is now.

Note - I am french canadian before anyone calls me out on a conspiracy theory or anything else.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Are you talking about the time he almost scored on Price? :laugh:

Yep......that was the one. :laugh:

I thought to myself.......DD almost potted one..........and then it was an "oh wait. "

The entertainment value in this thread would have been a ten had he scored on Price. :laugh:

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Poor DD, even the Montreal mayor, Denis Coderre is on his case... Here was his tweet yesterday:

DenisCoderre ‏@DenisCoderre 16h

Allo? Un billet simple pour Hamilton pour David Desharnais svp.... #HabsDC

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Emelin has a better professional track record (~ 300 games in KHL) than DD (AHL and 1 good season).

No GM is going to give a contract based on how well the guy played in the KHL/RSL.

Maybe a more fair thing to say would be that Bergevin has displayed a concerning track record of jumping the gun on contract renewals across the board and it has little to do with the player's nationality?

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
How long before Desharnais is placed on waivers?

The return of Briere could start the Hamilton countdown for Desharnais.:handclap:

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I thought it was curious.. wait enraging .. when DD goofed up on his coverage in the defensive zone and we were scored upon...DD is sitting on the bench and gets a pat on the back, encouragement etc from the coaching staff.

I'm starting to see the favouritism to a certain breed of hockey player I chose to ignore wasn't there. I believe it is now.

Note - I am french canadian before anyone calls me out on a conspiracy theory or anything else.

So much favorism he was the 13th player at practice this morning.

That post was bad, even for you.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

I call you out on conspiracy theory, DD is a 3.5m $ contract who's not producing at all, they are trying everything with him. As for the Gallys MT is always sweet to them, i dont get what you're saying.

DD would have been an anglo chances are that he'd had gotten the same contract. 3.5m $ is thw right money for his production at the time, wether he's hacking it or not. 4 years contracts are handed out to these type of players all over the league, there is nothing special with Davey's contract.

Evert contracts would look too long with that kind of performance.

MicroFracture

Jan 1, 2009
Trois-Rivieres

I don't know, really. You could say the same about Emelin's extension.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
So much favorism he was the 13th player at practice this morning.

That post was bad, even for you.

That's only because Briere is back.

DD would have centered our third line and getting PP next game, despite playing like **** and taking a lazy penalty that cost us a goal last night.

There's a clear favoritism, you're blind not to see it.

Eller's last season and DD this season situations are treated completely differently.

I didn't agreed with Eller being scratched after the 1st game of the season.. but at least, it DID worked since Eller started playing much better after that. It took like 15 games before DD getting benched... and even when he came back, there was no improvement yet DD still play 15 min a game and getting PP time.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Interesting (and horrifying) stats I just saw:

Of the 20 even strength shots the Canadiens gave up, 9 came with Desharnais on the ice. 45% of the shots against came in the just 27.5% of even strength ice time that Desharnais was on the ice.

Wow.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
That's only because Briere is back.

DD would have centered our third line and getting PP next game, despite playing like **** and taking a lazy penalty that cost us a goal last night.

There's a clear favoritism, you're blind not to see it.

Eller's last season and DD this season situations are treated completely differently.

Well DD was sited earlier in the season when Briere was still injured. When Eller was sited he hadnt proved much in the league and his developpement was kind of stalling. DD is now a vet with a four years contract, you try everything before siting them, Gomez got a way better treatment than DD. Gomez was an anglo.

I'm not defending DD but i hate the conspiracy theory under all forms, especially when people have an agenda.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
No GM is going to give a contract based on how well the guy played in the KHL/RSL.

Maybe a more fair thing to say would be that Bergevin has displayed a concerning track record of jumping the gun on contract renewals across the board and it has little to do with the player's nationality?

Oh... the beauty of hindsight

Would you prefer the Gainey approach where no one was offered a contract

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad