The All-Purpose David Desharnais thread (post-Pressbox edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionel Mandrake

Gomez had 11 points in 38 games playing 14 minutes a game including 2 minutes of PP time, a little less than DD. That's ~500% more productive than DD.

It's good though that DD is playing less well than Gomez. He might actually be removed from the team, let's be honest, if Desharnais had more luck and was at 5 points rather than 1 point, he probably would be getting a free pass.

To me his contract pretty much guarentees the Desharnais saga is far from over. I think he'll get a boatload of chances because Bergevin can't go to Molson and ask permission to buy-out a guy who hasn't even played 20 games into a 4 year contract. I could see a demotion to the minors if Briere can take his place with the hope he reinvents himself in Hamilton and comes back an NHLer again I guess.

Man I really hope guarenteed contracts are looked at during the next CBA negociations.

Lionel Mandrake

I don't. It's Bergevin's fault for giving out such a stupid contract. At least now he will have an incentive to behave.

Yes it is his fault and he must be held accountable, but I always thought it was weird that a player had absolutely no other obligation than to show up in order to earn his contract's money. In other words, in a performance driven industry, performance over the course of the contract has no effect whatsoever on the player's ability to keep his job. Seems like the kind of logic that doesn't apply to the rest of the world and not the greatest incentive to keep pushing yourself once you signed on the dotted line.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
5 donuts in a row. Same ice time. First time I intentionnaly watch a specific player; wow his game has fallen off the map.

He got a 2 last night... in the penalty column... and it was a lazy, stupid penalty. A penalty that cost a goal and almost a comeback from the Islanders.

He's a detriment to the team now. Send him to Hamilton please.

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
He's a detriment to the team now.

Pretty much. Not only is he incapable of producing offensively or play any type of solid defensive game, but he's extremely soft, small and has so far turned every player who has been on his line (which is pretty much the entire team) into blackholes. There have been no redeeming qualities to DD this season whatsoever. It's sad, because I used to like the guy. I remember seeing him fight along the boards for the puck with freaking Chara and winning it. Now, he's just a sad pile of doo doo.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
To me his contract pretty much guarentees the Desharnais saga is far from over. I think he'll get a boatload of chances because Bergevin can't go to Molson and ask permission to buy-out a guy who hasn't even played 20 games into a 4 year contract.

I'm pretty sure Molson wouldn't mind that much. IMO, it's more the fact that if you buy him out, you lose 1.16M in cap space for 6 years. In a division where pretty much every team spends to the cap, that's a huge disadvantage for a long time.

I could see a demotion to the minors if Briere can take his place with the hope he reinvents himself in Hamilton and comes back an NHLer again I guess.

That's pretty much the only hope. The whole organization needs him to find back his game so they can hopefully trade him. Spending some time in the AHL might indeed help.

But keeping him in the A will still waste 2.75M in cap space, so it's not a long term solution.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Best options right now is to pass throught that storm and hoping for an expansions where DD might be picked up for nothing.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Best options right now is to pass throught that storm and hoping for an expansions where DD might be picked up for nothing.

It wont happen. The best we could do is to atleast expect him to do 10g 10 a or more on the bottom lines. Yes he is doing bad but he is no Parros kid can play hockey

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I'd send him to Hamilton for at least 2 weeks. Just so he can find his groove back, knowing what producing feels like and when he's gonna be back, it will be a new beginning for him, not a continuation of an awful slump.

And if he keeps sucking in the AHL... well keep him there.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It wont happen. The best we could do is to atleast expect him to do 10g 10 a or more on the bottom lines. Yes he is doing bad but he is no Parros kid can play hockey

Of course he is no Parros....he is Gomez, actually Gomez was better than that and still is!!
Never forget that DD brings some really bad downside with him and his offensive production should make up for it.
10g 10a don't make up for his downsides....hell, 50-60pts barely makes up for it!!

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He had a nice backcheck last night. Well it's something isn't it?

He's tops in faceoffs for the team and he does backcheck but while he's trying not to be a liability, it's not really his forte. Don't get me wrong, it's never a bad thing but at his size, he's better off bringing some offense to be useful and he isn't at this point.

So...we wait and see.

I'm pretty sure Molson wouldn't mind that much. IMO, it's more the fact that if you buy him out, you lose 1.16M in cap space for 6 years. In a division where pretty much every team spends to the cap, that's a huge disadvantage for a long time.

That's pretty much the only hope. The whole organization needs him to find back his game so they can hopefully trade him. Spending some time in the AHL might indeed help.

But keeping him in the A will still waste 2.75M in cap space, so it's not a long term solution.

I'm pretty sure Molson will mind. It's basically 7 million given away if you buy him out at end of the year. Add to that 3.5 million this year if they send him down too early. He's already dishing out cash for Kaberle and Gomez.

If he finds his game back, there may be no need to trade him. Of course, at the term he's been given there's a definite risk of this occurring again so they should explore options.

I never considered 3.5 mil a bad amount for him. It's the term that killed everything. 4 years was too much. There's much more risk involved now.

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
No matter how you're trying to slice it, that contract made 0 sense at the time.They shoulda done like Gainey and wait till the end of the year to negociate with Desharnais because he was already declining.

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
Of course he is no Parros....he is Gomez, actually Gomez was better than that and still is!!
Never forget that DD brings some really bad downside with him and his offensive production should make up for it.
10g 10a don't make up for his downsides....hell, 50-60pts barely makes up for it!!

When you actually miss Scott Gomez when you look at Desharnais...it mean everything.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I really hope when Briere's back they try him at center and put Desharnais on waivers and let him try to get his game back in Hamilton. No reason not to at this point.

Mynameismark*

He got a 2 last night... in the penalty column... and it was a lazy, stupid penalty. A penalty that cost a goal and almost a comeback from the Islanders.

He's a detriment to the team now. Send him to Hamilton please.

Somebody in another thread told me he wasn't a liability out there, but he is in every way. Parros at least goes to the box an brings another guy with him. And his presence alone will allow others to play like bigger men. I think when you play next to DD you shrink.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
I really hope when Briere's back they try him at center and put Desharnais on waivers and let him try to get his game back in Hamilton. No reason not to at this point.

I really expect this to happen this week. Therrien basically said he was done with Desharnais in the post-game press conference, even questioning his will to compete.

It's quite obvious, DD is completely lost right now. He probably doesn't sleep at night anymore. Going to Hamilton is probably the best thing for him and the team. But now, we can only hope Brière still has something in the tank.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Holy hole in the donut Batman!! Desharnais has a 300,000$ signing bonus to boot on his horrid contract!! Did this guy even sign a bridge contract like everyone else had or has to? I know he signed 2yrs 1.7mil a few yrs back, but I doubt that was bridge, he signed that contract with 0 goals in the NHL, sorry..just venting, I'm consumed by Desharnaislitis, even my GF is, and she's a Sens fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad