The all-purpose: Alexander Wennberg thread

Wennberg points estimate for 2019-20

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
You can't even acknowledge Torts acknowledgement.:laugh: You also completely dismiss the advanced stats on WK even though you wield them like a sharp sword when it suits your case.

So it goes.

Torts starts that bit by saying he doesn't regret how he handled Karlsson. Which leads me to think the bit you bolded was largely just a pacifying statement or something more like "Wow, I thought we were doing the right thing, what could we possibly have done differently to get this production out of you? Probably nothing."

But who the heck knows!

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You can't even acknowledge Torts acknowledgement.:laugh: You also almost completely dismiss the advanced stats/usage on WK even though you wield them like a sharp sword when it suits your case.

So it goes.
Torts didn't say "I did this wrong". He said "something exceptional happened here, and I want to learn from it where I can". Those are different conclusions.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You also almost completely dismiss the advanced stats/usage on WK even though you wield them like a sharp sword when it suits your case.

So it goes.

The zone starts? That's what I was talking about when I mentioned the harder position Boone Jenner is in. There's guys with harder deployments than Karlsson had.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Previously, he said, he’s returned from injuries and tried to make up for lost time, tried to play in a way that would delight coaches and justify the spot he was taken in the draft. But that’s no longer the case.

“The first thing you have to do is accept that the injuries have happened, and not be like, ‘I wish it was different, I wish I hadn’t been injured and missed all that time,’ ” Murray said. “I just wasted time trying to be something else … by not just being myself on the ice.

“I’m not consumed with what they want, how they want me to play, how I’m going to get myself further up the depth chart, what’s going to get my ice time back. You can’t take that stuff with you out on the ice, because it’s not you, and then you’re forcing things and your whole game is a mess. When you’re out there, you have to just play the way you know how.

The zen of Ryan Murray, and how the Blue Jackets defenseman...

It's funny. Wennberg said something very similar in the offseason (Or was it preseason?) and got roasted for it. Posts of "he's not coachable" or a "team player" were thrown around at him. Yet, this article is 2 days old and not one person has quoted this. Now, I know not everyone has an Athletic subscription, but enough people on this board do to have at least talked about this article.

Wennberg when asked about if he's shooting more (paraphrasing): Nah, that's not my game. I'm going to play my game.

Murray: I'm not worrying about how the coaches want me to play. I'm going to play my game.

Just trying to be fair here.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
2 questions should be asked.

What is wrong or what should be changed with Murrays game?

Now, what is wrong or what should be changed with Wennberg's game?

No, that’s not the questions a fair minded person would ask. Either it’s uncoachable for both, or for neither. Not one player is above coaching or everyone is.

Critiquing Wennberg is fine and fair. Calling him uncoachable is not, unless you’re going to say Murray is too.

Reactions: GoJackets1

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I have the feeling that Wennberg is coachable, just not by Torts.

For the other parts of the game, besides the shooting issue, it looks like Wennberg is playing the way Torts wants him to. He's playing a little more forward and skating the puck around the zone rather than standing still. It got him an assist last game.

It's just shooting, and that's what every coach and everyone wants him to do. He needs to be re-trained to shoot. You can't just tell him do it, he needs to be shooting a hundred pucks in practice for every pass.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
For the other parts of the game, besides the shooting issue, it looks like Wennberg is playing the way Torts wants him to. He's playing a little more forward and skating the puck around the zone rather than standing still. It got him an assist last game.

It's just shooting, and that's what every coach and everyone wants him to do. He needs to be re-trained to shoot. You can't just tell him do it, he needs to be shooting a hundred pucks in practice for every pass.

You think rewiring lifelong visual and thought patterns can be turned around by this simplistic drill? Not enough laughing emoticons for this one.

If he can't be traded, buy him out. He can be bought out for 1/3rd of his contact since he's under 25.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You think rewiring lifelong visual and thought patterns can be turned around by this simplistic drill? Not enough laughing emoticons for this one.

You rewire your brain every minute of every day. Practice is all about putting in new wiring. To get the shooting and passing in balance I think it would take 100 shots/passes ratio every day for a half year to year. You can learn a language in that time and be thinking in it, if you've got full immersion.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
You rewire your brain every minute of every day. Practice is all about putting in new wiring. To get the shooting and passing in balance I think it would take 100 shots/passes ratio every day for a half year to year. You can learn a language in that time and be thinking in it, if you've got full immersion.
Good luck on the one.

Equating learning a language to reworking a visual/muscular memory pattern that's 20 years in the making for this hockey player doesn't cut it. One doesn't rid himself of his native tongue when he learns a new language. A bucket of pucks for a 1000 straight days won't do it.

What might do it is the coaches telling him that whenever he hits the hash marks he has to shoot it-no matter what-for the rest of the year. If he doesn't, then he gets benched for the rest of that game and the following game.

But I don't think that will work with Wennberg. He's stubborn as a mule and has another 4 years at $4.9 million on his deal. He comes off as pretty smug and someone who really thinks he knows what's best-despite evidence to the contrary and the directions of his coach.

Jarmo looks like he pulled off a bust hat trick in round 1 of 2013. Dano and Rychel are certified busts and Wennberg is tracking in the same direction.

Reactions: Cowumbus

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Good luck on the one.

Equating learning a language to reworking a visual/muscular memory pattern that's 20 years in the making for this hockey player doesn't cut it. One doesn't rid himself of his native tongue when he learns a new language. A bucket of pucks for a 1000 straight days won't do it.

What might do it is the coaches telling him that whenever he hits the hash marks he has to shoot it-no matter what-for the rest of the year. If he doesn't, then he gets benched for the rest of that game and the following game.

But I don't think that will work with Wennberg. He's stubborn as a mule and has another 4 years at $4.9 million on his deal. He comes off as pretty smug and someone who really thinks he knows what's best-despite evidence to the contrary and the directions of his coach.

Jarmo looks like he pulled off a bust hat trick in round 1 of 2013. Dano and Rychel are certified busts and Wennberg is tracking in the same direction.

Maybe he hasn't communicated well, I don't know, but I have seen him talk about problems in his game this year. Maybe you missed it.

We'll have to disagree about how to fix the shooting issue. To me it can be done, but the transformation will have to be in practice. You can't make that change in game conditions.

To extend the language analogy, this isn't actually teaching Wennberg a new language, he already learned how to shoot. But he won't speak the new language if he has people he can talk to in the first language. He needs immersion. He needs to be in shot only situations, which is obviously only an option in practice.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Maybe he hasn't communicated well, I don't know, but I have seen him talk about problems in his game this year. Maybe you missed it.

We'll have to disagree about how to fix the shooting issue. To me it can be done, but the transformation will have to be in practice. You can't make that change in game conditions.

To extend the language analogy, this isn't actually teaching Wennberg a new language, he already learned how to shoot. But he won't speak the new language if he has people he can talk to in the first language. He needs immersion. He needs to be in shot only situations, which is obviously only an option in practice.

I'm just not very optimistic about him being able to change his playing style. I'd think IF it COULD be done, it will probably be an off season venture. He has to change so much internally, that I doubt it could be effectively done in practice sessions during the course of the season.

When looking at an athlete who's only 24, we often forget that in his "athletic age" , if you will, he's well into his middle age. Breaking lifelong patterns, especially when they've resulted in $30+ million in income, are not easy to alter. Not impossible, but in Wennberg's case I'd have to think very, very difficult.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm just not very optimistic about him being able to change his playing style. I'd think IF it COULD be done, it will probably be an off season venture. He has to change so much internally, that I doubt it could be effectively done in practice sessions during the course of the season.

When looking at an athlete who's only 24, we often forget that in his "athletic age" , if you will, he's well into his middle age. Breaking lifelong patterns, especially when they've resulted in $30+ million in income, are not easy to alter. Not impossible, but in Wennberg's case I'd have to think very, very unlikely.

I think things have reached such a level of obvious dysfunction with Wennberg that he will consider rebuilding his game. You're right it's probably an offseason type of transformation. He's in what should be his prime years, not a prospect, but I think this is the kind of transformation that anyone could do if they put the time in.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Petition to rename the thread:

The all-purpose: Alexander Wennberg complaint and excuse making thread

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I have the feeling that Wennberg is coachable, just not by Torts.
I agree. My guess is he has tuned out Torts. His brash, in your face Coaching style doesn’t click with some players. His history shows that. I have a sense that Wennberg is one of those guys where there’s just not a mesh.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-december-19-2018/

Meanwhile, Columbus Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen is also frustrated he’s not been able to move young center Alexander Wennberg, who has just one goal and 16 points through 33 games.
Garrioch writes:

Was told Columbus Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekelainen has been working the phones, but he’s not getting a whole lot of traction on centre Alexander Wennberg. That makes sense because he’s got a deal that runs through 2022-23 with a cap hit of $4.9 million. Now, if the Jackets are willing to discuss moving UFA forward Artemi Panarinand goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky then the talk is going to get serious.​

Kind of amazing no one wants Wennberg. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Not surprised here. Shoulda moved him after 16/17.

(-) "Playmaker" that doesn't mesh well or have "chemistry" with essentially anybody.
(-) Least "intense" player on the entire roster.
(-) Terrible on faceoffs.
(-) Scores a goal a month.

(+) Pretty skater
(+) Pretty passer
(+) Pretty hair

Shoulda kept Anisimov.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Alexander Wennberg Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

If he can't move him, then buy him out. He's under 25 so the cost is 1/3rd of the amount due. His cap hit with a buyout would be $441,667 for each of the first 4 years and $891,667 for years 5-8.

It's a low cost solution to a long term problem.
...and with this, the Wennberg hate has officially jumped the shark.

Seriously, folks, this is pathetic. Utterly pathetic. You're talking buyout for a 30-40 point middle-6 C on a contract that half the teams in the NHL would kill for because you don't like his shot count.

Reactions: cslebn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad