The All Encompassing "Tavares is really a Leaf" Thread

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
He's a boring player to watch and I don't mean that in a negative way. He's slow and you won't notice a lot of the small things he does like win puck battles and use his stick. He's not as exciting or fast as Marner or Matthews but he plays a smart game. Good positioning and a very lethal shot. Very composed.

Reactions: Liminality

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
He's a boring player to watch and I don't mean that in a negative way. He's slow and you won't notice a lot of the small things he does like win puck battles and use his stick. He's not as exciting or fast as Marner or Matthews but he plays a smart game. Good positioning and a very lethal shot. Very composed.
I wouldn't go as far as boring but he's a very grinding type of player. Tries to be heavy on his stick and push on players out of position instead of trying to deke around them.
I like his ability to force his way to the front of the net or into good shooting angles. I'm glad he's like this though, think it complements the other pure skill guys.

Reactions: BAM

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I wouldn't go as far as boring but he's a very grinding type of player. Tries to be heavy on his stick and push on players out of position instead of trying to deke around them.
I like his ability to force his way to the front of the net or into good shooting angles. I'm glad he's like this though, think it complements the other pure skill guys.
Also bodes well for him game to age well

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
His goals come from everywhere. Goal mouth, slot, tips in front, deceiving shot, good vision, hard on the boards. The guy has it all except maybe blinding speed, but I saw him flying on the forcheck last night and I had to wait to hear that it was him. He has a gear we haven't seen yet in the new season.

Just overall good at hockey. And he's just getting started with the new team. Can't believe we got him.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I love Tavares. I think he will be a good player for us. But I really wish we would have spent the money on a defenseman.

This post aged only one day

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good thing we have Tavares or we would be 0-3-0 on the season against the 2nd, 4th and 7th worst teams from last years final standings.

JT has helped us secure 2 wins already.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Loving his play so far. A relentless puck hound, strong AND shifty, great around the net, and obviously has elite skills and smarts. So ridiculous being able to play the Matthews and Tavares lines B2B, just when teams are done going through one meat grinder, they have to go through another. And it’ll be even more deadly once Nylander returns!

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Tavares is awesome. A legit powerhouse elite #1C.

but maybe the best part for me is that he's going to make it impossible for anyone to deny that Auston Matthews is much better than just an elite #1C.

Reactions: Pi

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Good thing we have Tavares or we would be 0-3-0 on the season against the 2nd, 4th and 7th worst teams from last years final standings.

JT has helped us secure 2 wins already.
Tavares contributed with his goal against Montreal which gave the Leafs a brief 2-1 lead and it was Matthews who won that game with the overtime winner.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
You lock up your stars and worry about the rest later. Dubas.... just pay the damn man and let's have Nylander back on the ice.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Tavares is awesome. A legit powerhouse elite #1C.

but maybe the best part for me is that he's going to make it impossible for anyone to deny that Auston Matthews is much better than just an elite #1C.

Yep. Tavares is an amazing player but you can see watching the two shift after shift that Matthews is even a level above the franchise elite C’s in this league.

Matthews just has such a unique game. I don’t think he plays like any centre in this league.

We are darn lucky to have them both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad