The All Encompassing Tank/Rebuild/Tankers GDT Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I agree, he's a 3-4th line guy which is why I said I woudlnt give him more then 1.5 which is fair imo, mc clement was making 1.1m here last year as a 4th liner.

Look at the winning teams.

Their bottom six consists of kids they drafted.

Not 30 year old guys making millions.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Look at the winning teams.

Their bottom six consists of kids they drafted.

Not 30 year old guys making millions.

Yup, we just need to draft our core, we are doing a decent job at finding bottom 6 players for the future... We need to keep our bottom 6 on cheap deals and elcs... and keep em hungry.

Gauthier, Leivo, Mckegg are all good bottom 6 pieces for us imo...

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think it will be more beneficial for the Leafs to have McDavid.

Reasoning: the faster (via drafting/rebuilding) the Leafs get better and start consistently making the playoffs is the better for everyone. It's better for the NHL, it's better for the NHLPA and it's better for overall financial gains. If the most valuable franchise makes money - everyone makes money.

Putting McDavid in Toronto would be a no brainer.

therefore. the Lottery Ball WILL fall our way, Right, Gary? :D

?

I can't see the other teams/cities being all that interested in giving Toronto some kind of advantage. Its not their fault that our management has made all these bad decisions.

Can we not win with the same conditions & rules that apply to everyone else? Maybe we just need to get better instead of looking for this kind of thing?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
?

I can't see the other teams/cities being all that interested in giving Toronto some kind of advantage. Its not their fault that our management has made all these bad decisions.

Can we not win with the same conditions & rules that apply to everyone else? Maybe we just need to get better instead of looking for this kind of thing?

Hey, if Pittsburgh be given it twice, we can have it once!

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
Would it be cheap/unfair if Toronto instantly contended after drafting McDavid?

We've all read the brilliant Jonas Segel article already, in which he describes in depressingly vivid detail all of the poor managerial decisions that multiple managers have made since 2003.

I think it goes without saying that our management group is just plain bad - they have done almost nothing good, and they deserve a failing grade right now.

But what if we win the lottery, draft McDavid, and become instant contenders? Would any of our potential success be respected across the league? Would other fanbases say "Right, it's nice that you're a good team again, or it's nice that you won a Cup, but it never would've happened if you weren't gifted a lottery pick."

I think if McDavid is like the next Crosby, then Toronto can turn this ship around. But they will have turned it around in spite of horrible management - not because of good management.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
core going forward with:
JVR-Kadri-???
???-???-???(Nylander),
Clarkson-Holland-Komorov
???-Carrick

Rielly, Franson,
Gardnier-Polak
Percy-Robidas

Bernier

-Phaneuf for Mike Richards
-Trade Kessel in the draft for a 1st top 5 pick or a mid/high 1st rounder,prospect and roster player
-Get Babcock what ever he wants
-trade Lupul, Santoreli, Winnik, Bozak, Reimer for picks-tank it
-draft good
-give the kids a chance(brown, Percy, Leivo, Nylander, etc.)
.NO!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario

Would it be considered unfair/cheap/dishonourable if the Leafs turned the ship around with a gifted lottery pick like McDavid (the next Crosby)?

The alternative would be a slow, patient rebuild through the draft, drafting smartly and getting impact players at 5th overall, 8th overall, 33rd overall, deep in the draft in the 5th and 6th rounds, etc... Being smart with cap management. Making shrewd trades and free agent signings. Basically becoming a good team through intelligent management and scouting from top to bottom.

Some people would consider that a more respectable way to become a good team.

Meanwhile if the Leafs became contenders after winning McDavid, they may always have the cloud hanging over their head with other fanbases saying "Hah! You guys have a garbage management that was saved after being gifted a lottery pick!"

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
No.

And McDavid alone can not win us the cup. Even Pens with both Crosby and Malkin have only won the cup once because they have lacked depth and character type players.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
No.

And McDavid alone can not win us the cup. Even Pens with both Crosby and Malkin have only won the cup once because they have lacked depth and character type players.

Pittsburgh has been a perennial playoff team. Plus they have made the finals twice with their core - once in 2008, losing to the Red Wings, and again the very next year in 2009, winning against the Red Wings.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Really doubt that McDavid alone would make the team a contender overnight, hockey is a team game after all.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Pittsburgh has been a perennial playoff team. Plus they have made the finals twice with their core - once in 2008, losing to the Red Wings, and again the very next year in 2009, winning against the Red Wings.

And look at the rest of the team they had back then.

A lot of veterans and a lot of character. Skill wise perhaps the same as later teams. But those teams had a bit more of an identity.

Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby - Bill Guerin
Ruslan Fedotenko - Evgeni Malkin - Max Talbot
Matt Cooke - Jordan Staal - Tyler Kennedy
Pascal Dupuis - Craig Adams - Miroslav Å atan

Brooks Orpik - Sergei Gonchar
Hal Gill - Rob Scuderi
Mark Eaton - Kris Letang

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
The Leafs won't be instant contenders if they get McDavid. He's not THAT good. The leafs have a lot of problems that McDavid can't fix by himself.

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005
I guess you forgot about the depth in the Leafs line up... Avg. Goaltending, horrendous D, and a constant rotation of guys on the IR causing Winnick & Panik to be our second PP unit.. and please don't lose sight of the coaching.. urghh the coaching..

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Would it be considered unfair/cheap/dishonourable if the Leafs turned the ship around with a gifted lottery pick like McDavid (the next Crosby)?

The alternative would be a slow, patient rebuild through the draft, drafting smartly and getting impact players at 5th overall, 8th overall, 33rd overall, deep in the draft in the 5th and 6th rounds, etc... Being smart with cap management. Making shrewd trades and free agent signings. Basically becoming a good team through intelligent management and scouting from top to bottom.

Some people would consider that a more respectable way to become a good team.

Meanwhile if the Leafs became contenders after winning McDavid, they may always have the cloud hanging over their head with other fanbases saying "Hah! You guys have a garbage management that was saved after being gifted a lottery pick!"

What the heck are you talking about?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This current losing streak is now matching a similar 3-14-0 stretch back in 1990. (25 years ago)

Whats amazing is that this stretch is worse then the 18-wheeler season of 2012 and the losing 10 of last 12 epic collapse from last season. So we are certainly trending for a top draft pick.

2014-15 .. @ 48 games 22-23-3 = 47 points

2013-14 .. @ 48 games 23-20-5 = 51 points (finished 8th last)

2011-12 .. @ 48 games 24-19-5 = 53 points (finished 5th last)

The more this team re-tools the lower the results become.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Leafs won't be instant contenders if they get McDavid. He's not THAT good. The leafs have a lot of problems that McDavid can't fix by himself.

Nah, he's THAT good. But he's certainly not a miracle worker, so of course the Leafs will have to keep building around him.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
?

i was kidding.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This current losing streak is now matching a similar 3-14-0 stretch back in 1990. (25 years ago)

Whats amazing is that this stretch is worse then the 18-wheeler season of 2012 and the losing 10 of last 12 epic collapse from last season. So we are certainly trending for a top draft pick.

2014-15 .. @ 48 games 22-23-3 = 47 points

2013-14 .. @ 48 games 23-20-5 = 51 points (finished 8th last)

2011-12 .. @ 48 games 24-19-5 = 53 points (finished 5th last)

The more this team re-tools the lower the results become.

Mess I've been watching the Leafs since the 80's and I've seen a lot of bad teams with little talent.
This is by far the worst team I've ever seen with the most talent.
Whatever it is, Kessel or Phaneuf or Bozak etc. as individuals or as a collection just doesn't work. Not even close.
This team needs to do the one thing it's never done. The hardest thing. Purge the core, purge the demons and build a foundation. Stockpile picks for 5 years and see where you are.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
3 crucial tank games coming up.

(By draft position)

Tor 9th vs NJD 5th (5 points behind, 1 game in hand)
Tor 9th vs AZI 3rd (10 points behind, 2 games in hand)
Tor 9th vs PHI 7th (2 points behind, 0 games in hand)

If the leafs can lose these next 3.
Minny just beat Edmonton, Calgary or Vancouver

Leafs drop to the 7th pick, with CBJ having 6 games to make up 4 points.

Big losses coming up boys, big losses.

:'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad