The All Encompassing Tank/Rebuild/Tankers GDT Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
If we play at this pace for the rest of the season :)sarcasm:) we can easily out-tank everyone else...

In all seriousness though, a top-5 pick would be a straight up home-dinger, which looks really doable.

Jes5ant

Mar 5, 2014
I don't think a major rebuild is in order but alot of players on this team needs to go.

core going forward with:
JVR-Kadri-???
???-???-???(Nylander),
Clarkson-Holland-Komorov
???-Carrick

Rielly, Franson,
Gardnier-Polak
???, Percy

trade bait:
Phaneuf, Kessel, Lupul, Santoreli, Winnik, Bozak, Reimer

Get as many 1st round picks and in the summer trade for young replacements on the roster

-Phaneuf for Mike Richards

I would call trading your 2 best players a pretty major rebuild.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
If we play at this pace for the rest of the season :)sarcasm:) we can easily out-tank everyone else...

In all seriousness though, a top-5 pick would be a straight up home-dinger, which looks really doable.

I think it's clear we're not fighting for the playoffs anymore.

sell what you can and try and get one or two more 1sts in a very strong draft.

a top 5 first, then a couple 20-30 1sts would be great for the future of this franchise.

Draft players that play a 200ft game, unlike 90% of our core.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Columbus winning would have been terrific.

9th Overall Pick heading into the All-Star break, with Philly and Minny on the cusp of passing us, and Columbus and New Jersey quickly approaching.

Thing is, will we be bad enough that Arizona or Carolina will pass us.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I would call trading your 2 best players a pretty major rebuild.

I dont think we should trade both Phaneuf and Kessel.

One or the other IMO, either build up the defence or build up the offence, dont tear down both for futures and hope you get better pieces later on.

IMO we should keep phaneuf due to his lesser value, bring in a top pairing D and give him some support, he's a #2.

I think Kessel is replacable only because A: we have a similar style guy in Nylander in the system(not saying he'll be as good, but he's got high-end offensive potential)
and B: Kessel's defensive game is so bad replacing him with even a 60 point two-way winger wouldn't be a downgrade that much.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Columbus winning would have been terrific.

9th Overall Pick heading into the All-Star break, with Philly and Minny on the cusp of passing us, and Columbus and New Jersey quickly approaching.

Thing is, will we be bad enough that Arizona or Carolina will pass us.

Bobrovsky just got injured. Looks like a pretty major groin strain.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
It would be an early Christmas if we can trade one of:

Kessel
Phaneuf
Lupul
Bozak

And get picks for:

Winnik
Santorelli
Franson
Reimer
Polak
Holzer
Smith
Booth

Obviously I know not all these guys are getting moved. But some of them SHOULD, especially if they aren't going to be around next year ANYWAY

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I dont think we should trade both Phaneuf and Kessel.

One or the other IMO, either build up the defence or build up the offence, dont tear down both for futures and hope you get better pieces later on.

IMO we should keep phaneuf due to his lesser value, bring in a top pairing D and give him some support, he's a #2.

I think Kessel is replacable only because A: we have a similar style guy in Nylander in the system(not saying he'll be as good, but he's got high-end offensive potential)
and B: Kessel's defensive game is so bad replacing him with even a 60 point two-way winger wouldn't be a downgrade that much.

Nah you trade em both and start a new era.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Guys, Guys, Bobrovsky getting hurt HELPS our tank.

Now, their backup will go all JS Aubin/Martin Gerber, and shoot them up the standings!

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
B77EG3PIgAAuHRX.jpg

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Gets tougher from here on in. Won't have teams passing us much the rest of the way. Going to take a real commitment from the guys to maintain this course the rest of the way

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Minnesota, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Carolina will all most likely move ahead of us in the standings, with the way things are going.

Just gotta keep playing like the way Toronto has over the previous month

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Minnesota, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Carolina will all most likely move ahead of us in the standings, with the way things are going.

Just gotta keep playing like the way Toronto has over the previous month

nonis has to help this by trading away depth like Franson and Winnik, we need to gut down the team a bit and bring up some rookies for 20-25 games of experience.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I can't take credit for this ... although a few of us wanted a complete rebuild in the 2005 lockout.

a few years ago but it wasn't approved : you can merge the thread after.... I just didn't want to get it hidden on a bunch of pages right away....

------------------------------------

"The worst thing we did was finish a point out of the playoffs last year and get the 13th draft choice. The year before we missed by two points and got the 13th pick, which we traded away," said Ferguson, clearly indicating that a team gone deep in the tank can at least take solace in eventually landing a top draft choice.

"That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world," he said of a quality pick, adding that a plan to sacrifice present for future as a method of rebuilding was proposed a couple of years ago - presumably to the same Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment board of directors now said to be shopping his job around.

"That plan was not approved.

"We're not happy where we are, obviously not. But we have to make the best of it," Ferguson added.

Which a high draft pick would represent.

"Look at Edmonton last year, I think they won two of their last 20 games and got the fourth pick," said Ferguson, who obviously has heard all the rumours and reports about Cliff Fletcher or other candidates poised - or not - to take his job.

"I don't know," he said when the obvious question about his immediate future was put to him.

"We'll see."

This is what it has come down to around here. Wondering if Fletcher is going to Mexico on vacation or coming in to "rescue" the Maple Leafs.

Mexico?

Who does he think he is, Tony Romo?

The septuagenarian former GM of the Maple Leafs may or may not become Ferguson's successor. As usual, no one in the Leafs' upper management would appear in public to reveal policy or show direction.

Neither the board nor president Richard Peddie is showing any compassion for Ferguson, who has been twisting in the wind, his hands tightly bound for weeks, if not months, if not a couple of years.

Last night, the Leafs were able to hang on for the victory after blowing so many late leads in recent games. Although Pavel Kubina raised blood pressures by icing the puck unnecessarily in the final seconds, inviting Carolina to mount a final last-gasp try. But captain Mats Sundin promptly controlled the faceoff and plenty of breath was exhaled.

Last night's pre-game included one of those moments that speaks volumes about this organization. A brief ceremony in behalf of one of the sainted corporate sponsors identified their top three-star performer of the month.

A team that lost 11 of its previous 13 was honouring excellence? Isn't that like General Custer picking his soldier of the month just before going out to battle Sitting Bull?

Post-game, someone sidled up to Ferguson and said: "Well, that's good, but not too good if you're going the other way."

To which he replied, possibly jokingly: "Either get a few of these or get an awful lot of them."

He knows his fingerprints are on this mess, but he does not deserve this kind of treatment.

Yet here he is, like everyone else, waiting to see if a man named Cliff will be brought in to help a team that has played itself over one.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
The Leafs need only to secure at least the 3rd overall pick. If BUF and EDM end up ahead mcdavid is going one to BUF but I can't see EDM taking Eichel when hanafin is sitting there and they need D more than another forward. That would drop Eichel to us. We could then make a deal with BUF to move up to 1 and draft mcdavid

Worse case we get Eichel at 3

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
The Leafs need only to secure at least the 3rd overall pick. If BUF and EDM end up ahead mcdavid is going one to BUF but I can't see EDM taking Eichel when hanafin is sitting there and they need D more than another forward. That would drop Eichel to us. We could then make a deal with BUF to move up to 1 and draft mcdavid

Worse case we get Eichel at 3

I think Edmonton would take Eichel at 2 (their management isn't too bright, but, even then, you can't pass up on a talent like Jack). But I hope Shanahan aggressively goes after Oilers' #2 pick/Eichel if Toronto somehow gets the #3 OV pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad