The All Encompassing Tank/Rebuild/Tankers GDT Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I would love to see someone make a picture of Carlyle relaxing with his foot on the table, sipping on fine whisky smiling while watching the Leafs game.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
Beautiful start.
As I've said previously, the next four games for us are must lose games.

threeGo

Oct 18, 2011
Toronto
Nonis better get as many 2nd round picks at the dead line as he can please. We need at least 3 chances in the top 60 possibly 4

I think we need at least 5 picks in the 2nd round for our mediocre drafting skills to actually pick up someone who exceeds all expectations of a 2nd rounder.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
But now I am seeing why Vancouver fans are saying that Nonis is bad at trades or choosing a direction. I laughed them off when it was said, but now I can see there point :(

jaleong

Apr 25, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs 2015 Offseason plan

Leafs need to retool, not rebuild. They have good, young pieces in place and are therefore further along in a rebuild than a team starting from scratch. Bottoming out this season would be bad for development, however a pick in the 5-10 range could still net them a very good prospect (Rantanen, Barzal, Marner, Strome, Zacha).

TOR: Phaneuf (1 mil retain)
DAL: Ritchie, 2nd round pick 2014

Dallas gets a borderline #1 defenseman, doesn't give up a first round pick, and Toronto keeps some salary. Toronto gets a burgeoning young power forward, a solid pick in a deep draft, and an opening for Morgan Rielly to pick up more meaningful minutes, while also making the Leafs bad enough to secure top 10 pick.

TOR: Bozak, Gardiner
COL: O' Reilly, Bigras/2nd rounder

Colorado gets a talented young defenseman locked up for 5 more seasons and a two way forward who could play anywhere in the top 9. Toronto gets a homegrown two-way player (Grapes should be happy), and a good prospect in either Bigras or the pick.

TOR: Lupul
NSH: Kamenev, 2nd round pick 2016 (conditional on GP by Lupul)

Nashville gets a top-6 forward to help with their playoff push. Toronto gets a big, talented prospect and a decent draft pick that comes with insurance for Nashville. Deal made in offseason, as Leafs still need bodies to play out the rest of this year somewhat competitively.

TOR: Reimer
EDM: Petry, 2nd round pick 2016 if Petry leaves in offseason

Reimer has been a solid #1 behind a terrible defensive team before; Edmonton gets a slightly more proven #1 goaltender in exchange for a pending UFA. Toronto gets a solid two-way blueliner; if he walks, then they get a solid draft pick to aid in rebuilding the prospect pool. Deal made in offseason, as no current UFA goalies worth signing to a contract.

Re-sign Kadri for 5 years, 22 mil (4.4)
Re-sign Santorelli 3 years, 8.25 mil (2.75)
Re-sign Winnik 2 years, 3 mil (1.5)
Re-sign Bernier 5 years, 25 mil (5)
Re-sign Franson 4 years, 20 mil (5)
Re-sign Petry 4 years, 14 mil (3.5)
Sign UFA like Methot/Martin to 4 year, 20 mil deal (5)
Sign UFA Enroth to 2 year, 4 mil deal (2)

JVR - Kadri - Kessel --> Kadri is an underrated top line player whose numbers would undoubtedly increase playing with offensive talent like Kessel and JVR. In addition, Kadri's strong possession numbers and burgeoning two-way game would hopefully rub off on lax defensive players like JVR and Kessel.

Santorelli - O'Reilly - Clarkson --> All 3 of O'Reilly, Santorelli and Clarkson play a two-way, checking and forechecking game that would be like a more offensively skilled 3rd line (talent of a second line, heart of a 4th line). Both Santorelli and O'Reilly play a cycle and possession game, which would hopefully kickstart Clarkson and put him in a role he's more comfortable with.

Ritchie - Holland - Panik --> A young line with some size and skill, these 3 players are low on experience but could be broken up and mixed with the 4th line players, as all 6 of the Leafs' new bottom-6 players are talented and versatile enough to play throughout the lineup.

Winnik - McKegg/Carrick - Komarov --> A line made purely for grinding and agitating. Winnik is a skilled penalty killer, Komarov is great for team chemistry, and this line could be counted on for 10-13 solid minutes of hockey every night, giving the Leafs 4 great lines for the first time in a long time.

Franson - Methot/Martin --> Franson has improved his game greatly, and his hardly frequent defensive lapses could be covered up by the stay-at-home prowess of a player like Methot. However, both players are still mobile and could be adept at clearing the zone with a quick first pass.

Petry - Rielly --> With Rielly blossoming into a star, he needs a solid shutdown partner to hide defensive mistakes and let him work his magic on the offensive end. Petry also gives the Leafs a right handed defenseman that can be used on both the power play and penalty kill while putting up solid possession numbers.

Polak - Percy --> Percy really impressed the Leafs in his audition this season with his heady two-way play and smart decision making skills. These pairings give the Leafs at least one right-handed defender on every pairing, a rarity in today's NHL and a good sign for its versatility.

Bernier
Enroth

Leaves Leafs with a team that can shut down opponents, has a nice mix of veterans and youngsters, and a decent amount of cap space without having to rush the top prospects like Nylander, Brown, Gauthier, or Finn.

officialmark*

At what point in time do we give the Leafs a standing ovation for losing instead of throwing jerseys?

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Im a fan of Dion Phaneuf (As a #2, #3 D) but the Leafs can't win when their #1 D can't play 25+ minutes every game. They need to trade him for a fill in and some prospects/picks and start this rebuild

superduperleaffan

Aug 1, 2014
Toronto, ONT.
core going forward with:
JVR-Kadri-???
???-???-???(Nylander),
Clarkson-Holland-Komorov
???-Carrick

Rielly, Franson,
Gardnier-Polak
Percy-Robidas

Bernier

-Phaneuf for Mike Richards
-Trade Kessel in the draft for a 1st top 5 pick or a mid/high 1st rounder,prospect and roster player
-Get Babcock what ever he wants
-trade Lupul, Santoreli, Winnik, Bozak, Reimer for picks-tank it
-draft good
-give the kids a chance(brown, Percy, Leivo, Nylander, etc.)

Last edited:

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I actually laugh when I see these elaborate massive trade plans from you guys, where you trade Lupul, Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Franson Bernier etc. all in one go as if management is going to have a massive fire sale of a bunch of players that are 26-29.

It just doesn't happen.

it's either Kessel or Phaneuf, not both, and frankly I think that's smart, I think either can play on a championship team, it's just that we need to trade one to get the proper pieces to build a championship team, I think trading both would be counter-productive and set us back on a rebuild/re-tool.

trade Lupul, Franson and maybe Winnik by the deadline, you have marlies that can easily replace them and get some minutes this year(Leivo is ready this year pretty much, Brown and Nylander may be ready next season)

you'd get possibly a late first for franson and more picks from lupul/winnik.

THEN in the off-season you look at trading kessel for a big package, unless you're offered something massive by the deadline.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Leafs tank tracker will be updated soon with all the details. Meanwhile, Leafs will enter the ASG break with the 9th pick.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'll be happy if they can acquire a late first and a couple of 2nd round picks via trade.

Not happening, this management team IS TOO STUPID to be able to pull off any trades at this point!

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Not happening, this management team IS TOO STUPID to be able to pull off any trades at this point!

they aren't THAT stupid, I think you guys forget the situation we were in last season.

it's hard to decide if you wanna toss depth away for picks when youre still in a playoff spot like we were last year at the deadline

This year however we are very far from a spot very early and about to go into a week long break.

We are going to be selling some pieces for picks in this draft, which is a very smart idea and our future may become a lot brighter because of it.

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
Honestly, forget absolute tanking for one second, we need to draft well. It's not just drafting elite talent in the first round but its drafting solid talent in the second and third round. Im not sure the current Leafs can do that. We rarely draft a top 6 player or top 4 defenseman outside the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino