The All Encompassing JR Thread

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I guess. Your first unit is your first unit when you need a goal. They tie it there and totally different narrative.

As has been said to death. When your GM is defending JJ the way he is you can’t do anything.

You can not play him in your top 4 man. He was brought in to be a bottom pairing guy. JR can save face while he plays 10-15 minutes/night.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You can not play him in your top 4 man. He was brought in to be a bottom pairing guy. JR can save face while he plays 10-15 minutes/night.

I'm not sure about that. Not when there was so much talk about him taking minutes off of Letang and fitting with Schultz.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I don’t know if that is possible or was JR’s intention to be honest.

JJ was getting that treatment in CBJ to if I remember right?

Until this team admits JJ is a problem or brings in a higher pay rate damn he’s in our top four.

Also, I don’t know where else you play him. You’re essentially arguing for a JJ - Ruh / Riikola pairing.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don’t know if that is possible or was JR’s intention to be honest.

JJ was getting that treatment in CBJ to if I remember right?

Until this team admits JJ is a problem or brings in a higher pay rate damn he’s in our top four.

Also, I don’t know where else you play him. You’re essentially arguing for a JJ - Ruh / Riikola pairing.

This seems like letting Sullivan off the hook in his part of this.

You play your best D-men together so Sid and Geno have the support they need to do what damage they can for us.

Play JJ on the PK and sparingly with Ruh. Bring in a depth D-man if need be but that's the only way this team has a chance to do anything this year with this blue line.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
This seems like letting Sullivan off the hook in his part of this.

You play your best D-men together so Sid and Geno have the support they need to do what damage they can for us.

Play JJ on the PK and sparingly with Ruh. Bring in a depth D-man if need be but that's the only way this team has a chance to do anything this year with this blue line.

So play Pettersson like 20 minutes a night with Schultz?

I guess you could roll

Pettersson - Letang
Dumo - Schultz

Reactions: Andy99

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I can forgive any of the other dumb moves JR did. Signing JJ will remain insanely f***ing stupid. Now hes doubling down it. Dumbass.

Reactions: Turin

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
So play Pettersson like 20 minutes a night with Schultz?

I guess you could roll

Pettersson - Letang
Dumo - Schultz

I think you lean on Dumo, Letang and Schultz. With Pettersson getting 18-20 minutes vs JJ getting 15. Hopefully 1/3 of that being PK time in a given game.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think you lean on Dumo, Letang and Schultz. With Pettersson getting 18-20 minutes vs JJ getting 15. Hopefully 1/3 of that being PK time in a given game.

I just don’t see that coming this year with JR advocating all over the media for him.

It is like your boss telling you to work with someone on a project and then you doing the project all yourself with your boss knowing.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I just don’t see that coming this year with JR advocating all over the media for him.

It is like your boss telling you to work with someone on a project and then you doing the project all yourself with your boss knowing.

I guess I'm just not following why JJ is playing ahead of Pettersson. The latter was getting similar ES minutes to Maatta for a good stretch of time WHILE PLAYING WITH JJ.

This is a shit way to deal with this situation if you're Sully.

Any propping up Schultz can do for JJ isn't worth it. We need Schultz to provide some offense from the backend. Not worry about whatever the f*** JJ is doing on a given shift.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I guess I'm just not following why JJ is playing ahead of Pettersson. The latter was getting similar ES minutes to Maatta for a good stretch of time WHILE PLAYING WITH JJ.

This is a **** way to deal with this situation if you're Sully.

Any propping up Schultz can do for JJ isn't worth it. We need Schultz to provide some offense from the backend. Not worry about whatever the **** JJ is doing on a given shift.

I assume because JR said we got you a top four D replacement in JJ and Sullivan and co are basically treating Petts like they have every D that comes here. Ease them in.

Curious what would have happened with Maatta healthy.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Not necessarily a reply to you in particular, but what you've laid out is pretty much how I feel so piggy backing onto it. I'll throw in Sprong for Pets good, although early, and Wilson for Sheahan good/meh.

Overall, since the second cup JR has had a great trade at the time which turned into awful with hindsight. A few good but incomplete moves, and then a whole lot of vary levels of bad cumulating with the albatross that is JJ.

I honestly just don't think he has a plan, and he's just gunning from the hip. He built up speed, then he moved away from it. Promoted hungry depth, then kept on a bunch of vets for the bottom 6, didn't want to pay Bonino, but then let us flounder for half a year without a 3C, and one year later is relying on a 4C or a preferred RW to fill the 3C spot. This roster doesn't suck like some people lament, it just doesn't seem cohesive, no form, no plan. JR will be remembered for assembling back to back cup champions, but anymore it just makes me wonder if he did so more by accident and less by forethought.

In other words, he's frighteningly like Shero was leading into and after his two cup finals?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I gave you a nice shout and you don't even rub it in? Who are you anymore.

Bones was one of those guys that your damned if you do, damned if you don't and only time will tell if it is a mistake. Welp... it was a mistake. 4.1 for FREE for Bones is well worth it after how much was paid to get an equivalent in Bjugs.

Although #13 would have been hated on and blamed for things not his fault (Kessel's play). So there's that.

One catch with Bones is he wouldn't have cost you assets.

The other is JR could've had Bones and Ruh last year for the same price as Sheahan and Hunwick.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
One catch with Bones is he wouldn't have cost you assets.

The other is JR could've had Bones and Ruh last year for the same price as Sheahan and Hunwick.

I said that already. :laugh: Stop reading the thread backwards!

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
As many mistakes as he's made, he made many deals that lead to multiple Stanley Cups for the Pens. I'll always be grateful for that.

Reactions: NEPA

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
In other words, he's frighteningly like Shero was leading into and after his two cup finals?
Sort of? At least with Shero there was something I could look at. He wanted the three center model, a traditional checking third-line, a defense mostly of guys who were solid in their own end (McKee, Scuds, Gill, Martin, Michalek, Eaton), and then whatever shit you wanted to throw on the wings.

I think the (my) criticism of Shero was that he never found a solid set of players to form around Sid and Malkin and thought they could work with the Kobasew's, Jussi's, and Dupuis' of the world and they'd get stifled come playoff time. With JR it's not about the individual players, per se, its that they seem all over the place.

Look at Shero's last full year, after Sid and Malkin our top 12 scoring forwards were Kunitz, Neal, JJ, Sutter, Dupuis, Gibbons, Vitale, Gladams, and Stempniak. Let that sink in. Our current forward group is way more skilled than that, but if you look at that list after the top three, it's a lot of straight line players who played the same way. Not necessarily a good way, but there was at least something there.

By no means am I pining for Shero, but he seemed to have a plan, just a wrong one.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I wonder if JR knew the Caps would trade for Hagelin if he were to have let him go like he did. If that somehow bites us in the playoff, that becomes a tough one to swallow. Oh and we are paying Hagelin to pay for the Caps as well

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wonder if JR knew the Caps would trade for Hagelin if he were to have let him go like he did. If that somehow bites us in the playoff, that becomes a tough one to swallow. Oh and we are paying Hagelin to pay for the Caps as well

I personally like the moves the Caps and the Jackets made. I think those were smart moves.

Especially from a Columbus perspective. They could have wilted and rebuilt. They decided to make a play on guys like Panarin to re-sign based on their ability to win so they moved and went all in. Can't deny that was a strong play.

But I won't worry too much. The Pens aren't going to lose because Hags is on the other team. They are going to lose because that defense and the commitment to play defense is laughable at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad