The All Encompassing JR Thread

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You don't need to want a star at every position to say that a fringe 2nd/3rd liner as your best LWer isn't good enough.

In an ideal world, I think you have one of McCann or Rust in the top-6 and one on the 3rd line. I'd probably say McCann in the top-6 and Rust on the 3rd line would be my preference, because I think McCann's upside is higher.

Let me put it this way:

Our LW/RW situation is fluid because we have a few players who can play both sides. However you want to configure them, we're in the upper echelon of teams in terms of top 6 (or top 9) wing talent. The mix may be off, but in terms of quality we're doing more than fine. Hard to suggest we're anything but elite on that front.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Blueger did not look lost as a 4th line wing.

It's not "the secret to our identity". But AJ and TB clearly better fit the speed/aggressive forecheck identity better than ZAR and Wilson, a couple of plodders who aren't fast enough to force the opposition.

What the

For 8 minutes.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Precisely.

Because we haven't seen it, the idea that Rust isn't as good on LW is baseless, and we have a surplus of RWs.

That's 3 compelling reasons right there.

I fail to see the problem here. We're living in a cap world, you're not going to have stars at every position.

The mix of our forward group is off right now, but there's nothing inherently wrong talent-wise with having complementary two-way wingers like McCann and Rust in the top 6 if you have elite offensive wingers like Guentzel and Kessel opposite them.

So eight minutes at ES is essentially a game for that line and they did nothing.

I was saying ZAR and Wilson compared to Glass and Adams are much more creative.

AJ is fast and not much out.

Teddy is not fast and not much of a forechecker so I’m not sure what you’re talking about and he basically had 3 goals in his first couple games as a 4th liner, and then completely leveled off.

Then looked great when put at his natural position. Then got stuck on the 4th line again and did nothing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't see any reason to play Rust at LW now that we have McCann. They are similar enough players that making either of them or Guentzel swap positions is silly to me. If the wings on the team are Guentzel, McCann, Simon, Kessel, Horny, and Rust, there is no reason any of them should be playing out of position.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So eight minutes at ES is essentially a game for that line and they did nothing.

2 periods in a playoff series where Crosby and Guentzel barely managed anything over 4 games. That's what you're judging them on.

I was saying ZAR and Wilson compared to Glass and Adams are much more creative.

I don't think ZAR or Wilson have a creative hockey bone in their collective bodies. Christ, Wilson's career totals would make Glass or Adams blush.

I don't think these are the types of players we need. They're not fast, they don't force the opposition on the forecheck, and they don't even fit the "tough" niche they're supposed to.

AJ is fast and not much out.

He's extremely fast, he's solid defensively, and he was productive in his call-up. Not sure what else we should be looking for there.

Teddy is not fast and not much of a forechecker so I’m not sure what you’re talking about and he basically had 3 goals in his first couple games as a 4th liner, and then completely leveled off.

Then looked great when put at his natural position. Then got stuck on the 4th line again and did nothing.

Yeah, we're clearly watching different things.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
can we all agree that the 4th liners we chose to play had pretty much no impact on the way this series went? Our best players didn't do shit. I don't care if their RW was Rob Scuderi: Sid and Guentzel have to score more than 1 goal in a series. Malkin and Kessel need to score in more than one game. Letang needs to be better. Dumo needs to be better. Everyone needs to be better. No amount of shuffling our depth and complementary players was going to solve anything.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
can we all agree that the 4th liners we chose to play had pretty much no impact on the way this series went? Our best players didn't do ****. I don't care if their RW was Rob Scuderi: Sid and Guentzel have to score more than 1 goal in a series. Malkin and Kessel need to score in more than one game. Letang needs to be better. Dumo needs to be better. Everyone needs to be better. No amount of shuffling our depth and complementary players was going to solve anything.
...and whydid our best players, with status acquired, played like they didn't give a f***? /#TimeToGoSully

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad