The all-encompassing fantasy hockey inquiries thread

Leafs117

Sep 13, 2013
They should probably both be in the same neighborhood point wise. 15-20G 35-40A or something like that with an outside shot at exceeding that.

O'Reilly should probably outshoot Stastny. Stastny will most likely have more blocks and Powerplay points. Neither is a high frequency hitter.

I think it'll come down to who has the best chemistry with their line mates. Your guess is as good as mine.

O'Reilly - Duchene - Downie
Landeskog - Stastny - Tanguay

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Take O'Reilly, he's in a contract year and playing on the top line with our best player in Duchene. He'll be LW eligible and C eligible. Plus he'll be a threat on the PP.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'd go with O'Reilly. He's really clicking with Duchene, I think his potential for this season is unknown becuase this really is new role for him but the ceiling could certainly be higher.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I'm new to fantasy hockey. Some guy advertised Dobbernomics. It was free and simple so I decided to try it out.

Here's my team at the moment. What do you guys think?

C: Duchene, O'Reilly, Galchenyuk
W: Ovechkin, Gaborik, Landeskog, Downie
D: Pietrangelo, Barrie, Benoit
G: Quick, Varlamov

http://www.dobbernomics.com/hockey/index.php?rt=team&teamid=1388

I get that the idea is to buy low and sell high. I overpaid for Ovechkin but I like him for his consistency.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Who is the #1 PP QB for the Avs? Both Barrie and EJ are available - which one to choose for this season only?

For fantasy purposes take Barrie. EJ is and will continue to be the better defender, but I'm not sure he'll put up more points for the Avs than Barrie, especially PPP which I'm fairly sure he'll get 2nd unit duty.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Keeper draft: Landeskog vs MacKinnon

Who would you recommend taking? This is for a keeper league that heavily rewards the physical side of the game (hits, PIM, blocks) in addition to scoring.

Landy has clearly shown himself to be a hitting machine, takes tons of shots, and acquitted himself well in his first two seasons (better in his rookie season, yes). My question is what people think of his offensive potential (e.g. ~55-60 points this season?, how many in future?) and what people think of MacKinnon's physical game.

Long term I obviously expect MacKinnon to outprodcue Landeskog by a substantial amount, but if he doesn't hit nearly as often, that might be balanced out.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think you pretty much covered it, Landy's physical upside vs MacKinnon's scoring upside. What I can tell you is Landy has looked great in preseason and is back to his rookie form. General consensus here is 50-60 for Landy now and in the future, maybe a bit more in a career year. MacKinnon is more of an unknown obviously, maybe expect a slow start but he's more physical than the average person might expect. Probably cant be relied on for hits but will be part of his game on occasion. So maybe Landy is a safer bet but MacKinnon is a gamble with bigger upside overall.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Thanks! Not the "lol it's clearly this guy" answer I was secretly hoping for, but I guess if it was an easy choice I'd have made it already. Haha. Helps to know that Landeskog is looking like his old self, however. How has MacKinnon looked in preseason?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
After thinking about it if I had to pick one then Landy, he can fill up the scoresheet for you so many different ways and has looked really confident. But like you said its a tough choice! MacKinnon has played one game and will play the next two, still more of an unknown at this point. The consensus on him seems to be has played good but just needs to get comfortable and chemistry with linemates but has showed his speed, skills well.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
With downie on the top line I wonder what kind of season we can expect from him. He could be a huge sleeper.

In leagues that will support his PIMs and Hits, a huge sleeper. Offensively he'll probably produce around that of a 2nd line winger, 50-ish points if he holds the top line spot.

I picked him up though, last year I also picked him. :laugh:

Oh and to the guy above... Landeskog > MacKinnon in a keeper league where Landeskog's intangibles get better recognition. He'll be a good shorthanded guy in the future too, I could see half a dozen shorties a year during his peak years.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Cheers, I'll probably end up going for him. On a related note, I have Downie as well (you'd almost think I was an Avs fan. Haha)

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
Landeskog or Kunitz?

According to all stats and projections Kunitz is the better player. Landy is a good player but will he have a break out year and be the Viking again or will he just be a generally solid player as usual?

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I'm new to fantasy hockey. Some guy advertised Dobbernomics. It was free and simple so I decided to try it out.

Here's my team at the moment. What do you guys think?

W: Ovechkin, Gaborik, Landeskog, Downie
D: Pietrangelo, Barrie, Benoit
G: Quick, Varlamov

http://www.dobbernomics.com/hockey/index.php?rt=team&teamid=1388

I get that the idea is to buy low and sell high. I overpaid for Ovechkin but I like him for his consistency.

Generally speaking it's not always a good idea to draft guys just because they are on your favorite team. That said, you have good top end talent but it drops off.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Landeskog or Kunitz?

According to all stats and projections Kunitz is the better player. Landy is a good player but will he have a break out year and be the Viking again or will he just be a generally solid player as usual?

Depends on the league. All scoring? Kunitz is the more likely player. But if you factor in shots, hits, PIMs, shorthanded points, etc... Landeskog might be. He'll be with Stastny and Tanguay to start the year and their line has been pretty damn good together.

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
Depends on the league. All scoring? Kunitz is the more likely player. But if you factor in shots, hits, PIMs, shorthanded points, etc... Landeskog might be. He'll be with Stastny and Tanguay to start the year and their line has been pretty damn good together.

TOI G A +/- PIM PPP Hits

A good mix of scoring and participation

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Wondering if anyone wants to try out the CBC hockey pool? Chance to win a car, but I am not positive it's open to Americans.

They have a salary cap system, so it makes it difficult to stack your team.

Forward #1 Sidney Crosby (PIT) PIT 4
Forward #2 Steven Stamkos (TB) TB 4
Forward #3 Cody Hodgson (BUF) BUF 2
Forward #4 Matt Duchene (COL) COL 3
Forward #5 Gabriel Landeskog (COL) COL 2
Forward #6 Ryan O'Reilly (COL) COL 2
Defence #1 Erik Karlsson (OTT) OTT 3
Defence #2 Keith Yandle (PHO) PHO 2
Defence #3 Cody Franson (TOR) TOR 2
Defence #4 Ryan McDonagh (NYR) NYR 1
Goalie #1 Semyon Varlamov (COL) COL 3
Goalie #2 Tim Thomas (FLA) FLA 2

The numbers at the end of their names is what their "Cap" is, and you have a maximum of 30.

I'm not really happy with the team but I don't know what else to do with the restraints of the cap. So for that reason I'd love if some other folks joined in and I could see their lineups.

Edit: And yes having Varly on their is pure homer. Also praying he has a miracle year. Also wanted Barrie but he's not an option for some reason, but Elliott is.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
TOI G A +/- PIM PPP Hits

A good mix of scoring and participation

Probably Kunitz in that scenario. Aside from PIMs and Hits, he'll beat Landeskog in the other areas I'd go ahead and say. Even if he's not actually better.

Wondering if anyone wants to try out the CBC hockey pool? Chance to win a car, but I am not positive it's open to Americans.

Is there a chart for values? Would be like a puzzle and I always enjoy figuring those out.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Probably Kunitz in that scenario. Aside from PIMs and Hits, he'll beat Landeskog in the other areas I'd go ahead and say. Even if he's not actually better.

Is there a chart for values? Would be like a puzzle and I always enjoy figuring those out.

Like for what each player's "Cap" value is?

When you go to make the team it shows a value for each player. I could try to see if I can transfer the lists over but they're obviously pretty lengthy.

It seems all starting goaltenders have a value of 3 which makes things annoying, as it's hard to look for the underachiever that might do well this year that might have a lower value as even the worst of the worst starters have high value.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Ohhh, it's on a weekly basis. That makes it pretty difficult to help from the outside, since it's only Canadian participants.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Generally speaking it's not always a good idea to draft guys just because they are on your favorite team. That said, you have good top end talent but it drops off.

This Fantasy game I play is different because there's no draft. There's a salary cap and each player has a price tag that changes throughout the season

I changed up the lines a little.. I have a lot of Avs players because their price is right and I know what I can get from them. Right now I'm having trouble choosing between Barrie and Benoit... Any help? They are around the same price

My new updated lines

W: Boedker, Perron, Landeskog, Downie
D: Pietrangelo, OEL, Barrie
G: Luongo, Quick

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad