Speculation: The All Encompassing Edmonton Oilers Thread

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Dude... where's Michkov?!

I jest... I know you are trying to talk in the abstract, but are working with the contraints of what your team has to offer (with as others have pointed out, the bias of trying to keep your favorite shiny things), but the reality is that anything would be on the table.

My problem with the assets you offer up is that there is a combination of:
1) limited upside, I don't think anyone sees Carter Hart as a future HOF or even a surefire #1
2) not established, still lots of risk around those prospects / NHL RFAs
3) limited contracts, most of the assets offered are up for contract in less than two years... if they hit, Edmonton is right back in cap hell. If they don't they certainly lose the trade...

Any trade for Draisaitl would be a combination of:
1) ESTABLISHED TALENT ON SWEETHEART CONTRACT that is either a two-way C, two-way D or G with #1 potential... that is cost controlled for at least 4 useful seasons beginning now
2) At least one other solid NHLer making about half what they are worth, that while not the centerpiece, also fits in the above positional gaps
3) 2-3 other 1st round level futures either A prospects or 1sts, at least one of which is on ELC ready to play as early as playoffs or next year while we still have McD

Think Lindros trade and pair it back only a touch. We want our (cost controlled) Hextall, Ricci, Duchesne, Forsberg and a 1st. Alright, fine... we'll take three from the list (as long as they are cost controlled).

Yeah, but that many cost controlled pieces at those prices are unicorns. Who has them? No team can check all those boxes, maybe a third team is involved somewhere. It is funny to evoke the Lindros trade, I was looking at that and trying to make a very poor man's version. That being because: We're not talking about a teenage future stud at the start of his career in the buck wild 90s. We're talking about that same player 10 years older with only one year on his contract in a cap league.

It's all dictated by market, and I don't know what the market would be for a trade that keeps the Oilers competitive and improving for the longer term. I guess you have to just get his 10 or 12 team trade list or whatever it is and start seeing who can remotely check the boxes. I really wanna find a better variation of that trade than you can make with the Flyers--I just don't know off top who has good versions of that stuff, let alone where he'd be willing to extend.

Reactions: bucks_oil

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yeah, but that many cost controlled pieces at those prices are unicorns. Who has them? No team can check all those boxes, maybe a third team is involved somewhere. It is funny to evoke the Lindros trade, I was looking at that and trying to make a very poor man's version. That being because: We're not talking about a teenage future stud at the start of his career in the buck wild 90s. We're talking about that same player 10 years older with only one year on his contract in a cap league.

It's all dictated by market, and I don't know what the market would be for a trade that keeps the Oilers competitive and improving for the longer term. I guess you have to just get his 10 or 12 team trade list or whatever it is and start seeing who can remotely check the boxes. I really wanna find a better variation of that trade than you can make with the Flyers--I just don't know off top who has good versions of that stuff, let alone where he'd be willing to extend.

If it weren't for their incredibly hot start, Bruins would be a fit: Carlo, Frederick, Poitras and a 1st

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
If it weren't for their incredibly hot start, Bruins would be a fit: Carlo, Frederick, Poitras and a 1st

I mentioned Boston in an earlier post with Carlo/Poitras/Swayman in mind as starting points, they were one of the teams I could think of that were good/probably not on Draisatl's no-trade list/had some stuff to offer.

Prior to the Dubois trade, you could've put together a gnarly package from the LA Kings. Wild maybe? They got some pieces you could cook up: Eriksson Ek, Faber, Wallstedt...but their cap situation is all weird with the dead buyout cap this year and next, they probably can't afford to ditch any of their value deals/ELCs. It's tough.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
For Draisaitl?!

no. Noooooooo. no no no no no. Either you like Carlo a hell of a lot more than I do or you're undervaluing Leon a lot. A "lesser bits" deal with the Bruins starts with Swayman for me. No Frederic, no DeBrusk, no throw ins like Beecher or whatever. I'd also be scared to death of Poitras turning into a pumpkin here. When you're young its easy to look good when everything is going right. When things start to go wrong is when you find out what those guys are made of and Boston hasn't had anything go wrong yet.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
From my perspective as a biased Oiler fan I don't see a Draisaitl trade occurring. IF it did I think it is reasonable to assume there would be a league wide bidding war for his services. If you think there wouldn't be, what player WOULD command a bidding war?

LD would be a perfect fit for a number of teams looking for a legit #1C. So much so that teams like Boston or Carolina could be Cup favorites if they landed him. The Oilers, for their side, would need top pieces in return. A legit #1G would be an important asset coming back, and probably a top pairing RHD. That's a tough ask for any team to give up but I suspect that is what it would take.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
From my perspective as a biased Oiler fan I don't see a Draisaitl trade occurring. IF it did I think it is reasonable to assume there would be a league wide bidding war for his services. If you think there wouldn't be, what player WOULD command a bidding war?

LD would be a perfect fit for a number of teams looking for a legit #1C. So much so that teams like Boston or Carolina could be Cup favorites if they landed him. The Oilers, for their side, would need top pieces in return. A legit #1G would be an important asset coming back, and probably a top pairing RHD. That's a tough ask for any team to give up but I suspect that is what it would take.
Particularly at his steal of a cap hit. Say what you will about his contract not having much term, you're getting an elite player that can play any forward position at 8.5 million. GM's would be falling all over themselves to add him to their teams. Add to the fact that he's arguably the best playoff performer in the NHL, teams would empty both barrels at the Oilers in terms of picks and prospects to make it happen.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Particularly at his steal of a cap hit. Say what you will about his contract not having much term, you're getting an elite player that can play any forward position at 8.5 million. GM's would be falling all over themselves to add him to their teams. Add to the fact that he's arguably the best playoff performer in the NHL, teams would empty both barrels at the Oilers in terms of picks and prospects to make it happen.

I suppose if LD got dealt that is the end if the window for the Oilers to challenge in the playoffs? Tough pill to swallow.

They *could* still compete with McDavid still on the roster, that's why I mentioned the goalie and RHD coming back. If there is no hope then picks and prospects it is. McDavid gets moved in the next year. Brutal.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I suppose if LD got dealt that is the end if the window for the Oilers to challenge in the playoffs? Tough pill to swallow.

They *could* still compete with McDavid still on the roster, that's why I mentioned the goalie and RHD coming back. If there is no hope then picks and prospects it is. McDavid gets moved in the next year. Brutal.
The challenge is that bad teams wouldn't empty the tank for him because he doesn't have a lot of term and he probably wouldn't re-sign in a shithole, but good teams would want to keep most of their big roster pieces and would try to make up the gap with bags of futures and lesser parts. That's why I think if a LD trade happens, it happens in the offseason with an opportunity to make more moves to replace the pieces lost in trading for him.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
For Draisaitl?!

no. Noooooooo. no no no no no. Either you like Carlo a hell of a lot more than I do or you're undervaluing Leon a lot. A "lesser bits" deal with the Bruins starts with Swayman for me. No Frederic, no DeBrusk, no throw ins like Beecher or whatever. I'd also be scared to death of Poitras turning into a pumpkin here. When you're young its easy to look good when everything is going right. When things start to go wrong is when you find out what those guys are made of and Boston hasn't had anything go wrong yet.

You are right about Swayman... my last proposal (nearly identical) had him coming with Campbell the other way (and no first).

To your point on Poitras, I'd be fine swapping him out for the reasons you stated and replacing with a 1st for us to use or parlay elsewhere.

And you are right... I do like Carlo I think he'd be an ideal pairing for Nurse... and he's cheap and under contract. Go check his 5V5 GA/60 numbers. I'm also pro-Frederick who slots in as a better young, two way C than McLeod.

Reactions: ArthurAnyMoreDonuts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad