Speculation: The All Encompassing Edmonton Oilers Thread

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Again. As I said Trading Kane is a real dumb move. Do you watch the Oilers nightly bro ?

I don't, though I've watched enough Evander Kane to know what Evander Kane is at his very best and very worst. I was just focused on a narrow thing, which is whether POWER FORWARD is a necessary ingredient in a championship-caliber team.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I don't, though I've watched enough Evander Kane to know what Evander Kane is at his very best and very worst. I was just focused on a narrow thing, which is whether POWER FORWARD is a necessary ingredient in a championship-caliber team.
The Oilers problem isn't thier forwards.

Not sure how you don't know that ?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Nowhere did I say they go out and spend another $6m on that right away. My thinking is they already have a $6m 2nd pairing LD, so they don't really need a $9m one—and I was mostly questioning if Nurse would be palatable to another team at that price, so hell, if there's no sweetener needed then it may be worth moving one of those two to get the breathing room for much larger deals:

I think the Oilers need a major, major roster makeover if they want to get anything out of the 3 seasons left on McDavid's contract. They're just chock full of uncreative one-dimensional doofuses who need their hands held to produce. Even Hyman and Kane, who have done well there, are basically only as good as the C you put them next to.

In my head it's just trying to rerun Carter/Richards trades of 12 years ago, but seeing if you can do that with one Draisatl instead. The Flyers at that point identified that Giroux would be the centerpiece and that it was about building depth and cap flexibility, so they turned 2 All-Stars into 4 future ones (Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, the pick that became Couturier) and had a really great season, though that trajectory was derailed by Pronger's career ending injury and a series of other bad moves that handcuffed them (Bryz over Bob, AMac and a dozen other crappy defensemen...).

To me, the Oilers should be trying to turn Draisatl into a huge package of young NHL-ready contributors at controlled prices—at least 2 Fs and 1 D. They have the best centerpiece player in the world in the form of McDavid, and RNH can be a great bang-for-the-buck 2C behind him. But they need more speed and skill and creativity throughout the lineup, guys who are effective, cheap for now, and still have future upside to grow into.

Where do you go looking for that? Who knows—I wonder who is on Leon's 10-team list and if anyone can cook a package that fits the bill. Might be a 3+ team operation. Ideally you're looking for an impatient rebuilder. But I feel like the Oilers need to operate with Paul Homgren-sized balls and abandon in the short term, because otherwise...what is there to do? Holland sucks.

I think any Oilers fan would be open to creative solutions.

I just don't see where trading Nurse with $3M retained gets us. Our weakest position is D and for as overpaid as Nurse may be, trading him with retention just perpetuates the issue... the moment he's traded we have $3M in dead cap, only $6M in actual cap, and now we need to replace TWO empty spots in our top4 D rather than just improve on one.

For me that math just doesn't work. If Nurse is overpaid by 2-2.5M and we retain $3M to get rid of him? How does that add up?

I suppose it could work if a team loved Nurse so much at $6M that they were willing to give up significant assets, but that wasn't what was proposed (it was the opposite,... paying $3M retention + 1st round pick to GET RID of a legit #2/3 defender).

As for Draisaitl... I suspect that will be seriously considered this summer (or at the deadline if we are out).

Reactions: VainGretzky

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
For giggles I will throw in a trade for McDavid:

Power
Mitts
Benson
1st

Blue chip D great C great futures. Mitts re-signs there.

Edmonton trades:
  • Connor McDavid

Dallas trades:
  • Roope Hintz (ppg 1st line C signed for another 7 years at a sweetheart of a deal, won't completely replace McDavid's offensive production but his defensive game is solid and he can skate like the wind and dresses very nicely)
  • Mavrik Bourque (NHL ready prospect, former 1st rounder, can be reunited with Xavier Bourgault in future)
  • Lian Bichsel (Soon to be NHL ready, recent 1st rounder,, a type of D man that Oilers org is missing)
  • 2024 1st Round Pick (why not eh)

Stars would have to make more room to take on McDavid's contract this year but Ken Holland keeps his hockey circles tight and makes a trade with his old pal Jim Nill.

to PIT: McDavid (50% retained)

to EDM: Rakell, Yager, Pickering, $30 million (under the table)

I'll preface this by saying I'm a Vancouver fan and would love nothing more than to see Edmonton fleeced in a McDavid trade. Strangely enough, this awful Pittsburgh proposal is the closest to "getting it."

McDavid has so much value as a commodity to an ownership group that even trades that are roughly equal hockey-wise are in reality extremely lopsided, and not in Edmonton's favour.

Hintz, Bourque, Bischel, and a 1st? Your GM might not want to add to that, but your owner would probably add Jason Robertson and a couple more 1sts in order to get that deal done. It would raise the value of your franchise so significantly that pretty much no player would be off the table to these money grubbing billionaires. And that's what matters here. Not hockey value, franchise value.

The fanbase might balk, but your owner would drive Robo, Hintz, Bischel and Bourque to the airport.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The Oilers problem isn't thier forwards.

Not sure how you don't know that ?

The Oilers problem is everything. Outside of their 5 highest-paid forwards, their forward group is a trash heap. Barely a hint of depth scoring or two-way capability down there—and those top 5 contracts aren't exactly ideal two-way contributors, either. They're also one of the lowest-scoring teams in the NHL right now, through this stretch of the season so far.

Yes, their D is bad and their G situation is a nightmare, but it's a team game and their F group is just no help in that regard. They throw out 2 entire lines of nothingness every night. They put all the burden on their very top players and force them to eat the hardest minutes and provide all the offense. That wears players down, mentally and physically. But they have no choice. What 3rd-line scoring pop do they have to take some of the pressure off? What line can be trusted to play shutdown minutes against top opponents?

Badly built team all around. Needs major, major surgery.

Last edited:
Reactions: GAGLine

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I think any Oilers fan would be open to creative solutions.

I just don't see where trading Nurse with $3M retained gets us. Our weakest position is D and for as overpaid as Nurse may be, trading him with retention just perpetuates the issue... the moment he's traded we have $3M in dead cap, only $6M in actual cap, and now we need to replace TWO empty spots in our top4 D rather than just improve on one.

For me that math just doesn't work. If Nurse is overpaid by 2-2.5M and we retain $3M to get rid of him? How does that add up?

I suppose it could work if a team loved Nurse so much at $6M that they were willing to give up significant assets, but that wasn't what was proposed (it was the opposite,... paying $3M retention + 1st round pick to GET RID of a legit #2/3 defender).

As for Draisaitl... I suspect that will be seriously considered this summer (or at the deadline if we are out).

Which is why I say in tandem with other moves—if you're retooling the roster on the fly you've gotta make cap space and remove redundant players, so an Ekholm or 2/3rds of Nurse's contract is where you can look to do that. Just spitballing though.

I don't think there's a silver bullet on defense. There just aren't gonna be guys available that they can work in there barring a monster deal—so it'd all be contingent on using the big value piece they have in Draisatl to get a blossoming defenseman before his big payday plus some young, dynamic depth to backfill up front—and then using whatever resources that are left to build on top of that.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No

If Leon was available, players like nemec, mercer and holtz would be available but neither Hughes
Respectfully all three of Nemec Mercer and Holtz together don’t fetch you Draisaitl.

Executing a major trade when the entire team is in the dumps is terrible timing. The decision on Draisaitl will be made in the summer, hopefully after another strong playoffs.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Once we win the next 8 games and 10 in a row... I look forward to all the apology threads on HF.lol

In the meantime, I just want to thank all the Non Oiler fans for offering us all their trash in exchance for McDavid and Drai. Sure, they have about 300 elite games and are in their athletic peak.. but these 12 games make them worth cap dumps, shitty players and draft picks.

FTR... I don't thin we make playoffs but stranger things have happened. I hope I'm wrong obviously. I was looking forward to a fun season of Czechs being decent at U20, Oil making playoffs (and a few TDL acquisitions) and the World Championships in Prague with a decent NHL roster and new coach.

It's not going well at all.lol

1699980673621.png

Lots of work to catch the Yotes. A LOT. 6 in a row gets us to over .500. Guess that is Plan A.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Playoffs?
sure, why not? We're only six points out with 68 games left. Last I looked, our playoff odds were something like 55%. We sure as hell are not winning the division like we thought we could, though.

A lot of our problems go away if Skinner figures his shit out (back to back strong starts) and McDavid gets healthy.

I'd really like to see some trades though. Cal Pickard can't be the backup.

Reactions: theguardianII

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
sure, why not? We're only six points out with 68 games left. Last I looked, our playoff odds were something like 55%. We sure as hell are not winning the division like we thought we could, though.

A lot of our problems go away if Skinner figures his shit out (back to back strong starts) and McDavid gets healthy.

I'd really like to see some trades though. Cal Pickard can't be the backup.
Unless the idea is to have Campbell regain some sort of game in the AHL, which looks like a stretch right now, a trade for a backup or even a 1b makes a lot of sense. That said its not an easy proposition given the current cap situation.

As to moving McDavid and or Draisaitl that would not happen unless the player explicitly asks to be traded. There has not been a single deal I have seen that would come remotely close to getting the Oilers to move on from either player right now.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Unless the idea is to have Campbell regain some sort of game in the AHL, which looks like a stretch right now, a trade for a backup or even a 1b makes a lot of sense. That said its not an easy proposition given the current cap situation.

As to moving McDavid and or Draisaitl that would not happen unless the player explicitly asks to be traded. There has not been a single deal I have seen that would come remotely close to getting the Oilers to move on from either player right now.
I think there are some cheaper options out there that could be available.

If they waived Janmark when he's healthy and send down Pickard, that gives them about 1.75 million to work with. Comrie, Lyon, Reimer, Lindgren, and Montembeault are guys that could be available in that price range.

Ultimately it doesn't matter if it's hard, it needs to happen and Holland needs to figure it out. Campbell looks unplayable even at the AHL level and Pickard hasn't been playable at this level in the last half decade. He's too busy in his crease and gets to scrambling and flopping around.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Yes, their D is bad and their G situation is a nightmare, but it's a team game and their F group is just no help in that regard. They throw out 2 entire lines of nothingness every night. They put all the burden on their very top players and force them to eat the hardest minutes and provide all the offense. That wears players down, mentally and physically. But they have no choice. What 3rd-line scoring pop do they have to take some of the pressure off? What line can be trusted to play shutdown minutes against top opponents?
If the 3rd and 4th lines never get scored on then that is a win. The clock can be as much a competitor depending on the score. A 3rd/4thline that eats minutes and not scored on, that's a win. Especially if the top 2 lines can be as potent as the Oiler's can be. That and the PP and PK. Team's need only score one more goal than the opposition then.

I the G is bad trading for a stud solves and hides many problems then but if that is not viable then having a higher level defence and not all have to be Orr or Coffee but the cost for a win now team could be the future. But if the team is solid for 3 years then a first might not be too big a cost.

IF the Oilers had Hanifin and Zardorov/Tanev GA would go down and PK would go up with the same G
Improve the D and get another goalie if possible. A star at just about any cost, preferably with some term but improve the D depth at least.

Have to wonder if there would be any interest in Ethan Bear? A RHD that costs nothing in assets and has improved his game considerably since last with the team.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
we need to go back to basics and keep things simple. We need to jump over 7 teams for a wild card spot
There are 68 games left in the season. Several of those team ahead of them will be lucky to end up with 70 points probably 4-5 don't hit 82.

There is no room for another slump but if they play anywhere near their true capabilities going forward there is still ample time to make the playoffs. From Nov 3rd to Dec 1 last year the Oilers went 6-8 in 14 games. That is 3 points more than they have in their first 14 this year. Yet they made the playoff with a 16 point cushion.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If the 3rd and 4th lines never get scored on then that is a win. The clock can be as much a competitor depending on the score. A 3rd/4thline that eats minutes and not scored on, that's a win. Especially if the top 2 lines can be as potent as the Oiler's can be. That and the PP and PK. Team's need only score one more goal than the opposition then.

I the G is bad trading for a stud solves and hides many problems then but if that is not viable then having a higher level defence and not all have to be Orr or Coffee but the cost for a win now team could be the future. But if the team is solid for 3 years then a first might not be too big a cost.

IF the Oilers had Hanifin and Zardorov/Tanev GA would go down and PK would go up with the same G

Improve the D and get another goalie if possible. A star at just about any cost, preferably with some term but improve the D depth at least.

Have to wonder if there would be any interest in Ethan Bear? A RHD that costs nothing in assets and has improved his game considerably since last with the team.
Even if there was interest on the team's side, I would rather doubt there would be interest on the player's side. The player received a ton of racist abuse from the inbred side of our fanbase after we lost to Winnipeg. He'd be better served to play just about anywhere else.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think there are some cheaper options out there that could be available.

If they waived Janmark when he's healthy and send down Pickard, that gives them about 1.75 million to work with. Comrie, Lyon, Reimer, Lindgren, and Montembeault are guys that could be available in that price range.

Ultimately it doesn't matter if it's hard, it needs to happen and Holland needs to figure it out. Campbell looks unplayable even at the AHL level and Pickard hasn't been playable at this level in the last half decade. He's too busy in his crease and gets to scrambling and flopping around.
I agree. Saying that it is hard does not mean it should not happen. But you know that Holland tends to use that phrase as a reason to procrastinate.

Reimer is a guy I have liked in Edmonton for quite a while. He has played a lot on teams that are not exactly stellar defensively. He is also a UFA at the end of the year so it should not cost that much to get some retention on him as well.

These sorts of goalies are typically cheap, but despite Holland say that you "can't squeeze guys in the NHL" he probably gets squeezed. What would you give to Detroit for Reimer 50% retained.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I agree. Saying that it is hard does not mean it should not happen. But you know that Holland tends to use that phrase as a reason to procrastinate.

Reimer is a guy I have liked in Edmonton for quite a while. He has played a lot on teams that are not exactly stellar defensively. He is also a UFA at the end of the year so it should not cost that much to get some retention on him as well.

These sorts of goalies are typically cheap, but despite Holland say that you "can't squeeze guys in the NHL" he probably gets squeezed. What would you give to Detroit for Reimer 50% retained.
What I would give is probably a whole lot less than Holland gives, haha. He probably gives up a 2nd. I'd top out at a 3rd and a conditional 5th if he makes 20 apperances or something.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What I would give is probably a whole lot less than Holland gives, haha. He probably gives up a 2nd. I'd top out at a 3rd and a conditional 5th if he makes 20 apperances or something.
Pretty much how I see it. A 2nd is a lot to pay for a 35 year old back-up pending UFA but with 50% retention it is an asset you probably have to concede.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

are you Ken Holland?

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
McDavid has so much value as a commodity to an ownership group that even trades that are roughly equal hockey-wise are in reality extremely lopsided, and not in Edmonton's favour.
Pretty sure IF his name comes up it starts with multiple 1rst's AND a top young forward, a AAA prospect AND a youngish STUD dman.

Not many teams could do that and still be a playoff team.
Buffalo maybe,
2- 1rst's
Mittelstadt, Cozens
Powers/Samuelsson

Columbus?
2 - 1rsts
Fantilli
Jireck

Arizona?

3 - 1rsts, ten 2nds plus a choice of 3 prospects
These MIGHT have enough assets to be able without imploding
Montreal
New Jersey

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Pretty sure IF his name comes up it starts with multiple 1rst's AND a top young forward, a AAA prospect AND a youngish STUD dman.

Not many teams could do that and still be a playoff team.
Buffalo maybe,
2- 1rst's
Mittelstadt, Cozens
Powers/Samuelsson

Columbus?
2 - 1rsts
Fantilli
Jireck

Arizona?

3 - 1rsts, ten 2nds plus a choice of 3 prospects
These MIGHT have enough assets to be able without imploding
Montreal
New Jersey
McDavid is going for a lot, but not that much.

Edmonton has been proving you can't win with the best player in the league if you don't have an actual team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad