Prospect Info: The Adolescent 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think I'd take Kakko over Hughes.

Hughes is like pre-draft McDavid. Great puck-carrier with filthy hands and playmaking abilities, but he doesn't shoot and has a muffin of a shot.

Kakko is a goalscorer, big and strong and good in all facets of the game. If we get #1 he should be the pick. His style of play is perfect for the current NHL.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
Here's McDavid's photo with formerly fired MacTavish and Howson. Lowe was at the draft table. Nobody ever really leaves the org.

i

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

Does the 16 year old version of Puljujarvi have better hands/skating than current day? Or is it just me. Also looks about 6’2ish here, I have a theory that the physical growth really messed up his development.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
This thread has blasted through puberty and now has a job and a baby on the way. Let's Kakko the crap out of this draft!

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I guess I can post my top 10 since it likely isn't going to change much

1 Jack Hughes
2 Kappo Kakko
3 Ronny Greb
4 Phil Mulch
5 Ted Mill
6 Emil Safey
7 Artur Pokeholesin
8 Edward Soap
9 Ralph Toast
10 Johnny Nothing

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Does the 16 year old version of Puljujarvi have better hands/skating than current day? Or is it just me. Also looks about 6’2ish here, I have a theory that the physical growth really messed up his development.

Don't think so. It's the exact same player, only difference being playing against kids vs men. His skating and hands never really improved beyond that point.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006

Dude needs to work on his lower body power. The same way Drai worked on his legs the year after his rookie season and noticeably looked stronger on his legs.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Do any of the D look like they could end up being BPA at our pick? I see some people like Soderstrom, Broberg, York, and Byram.

Does anyone know them well enough to give the pros/cons of going with a D?

Right now my mindset is that we likely need cheap young forwards in the coming years to create a strong top 9. I am hesitant to draft a D if they are the toolbox but not cerebral as well.

I'd think long and hard about taking Cam York if the Oilers draft in the #5-7 range. I feel like in general you just get so much more value out of picking a D than a forward, especially if that forward is a winger.

As for pros and cons of these guys I'd say something like...

York
pros: mobile, maybe the best passer of the d-men in this draft, understands the game at a high level, great offensive instincts
cons: nothing that really stands out, just the usual could get stronger, better defensively, improve his shot etc which every kid at that age needs to work on

Söderström
pros: one of the smartest players in the entire draft for my money, very good defensively, also a good puck-mover and mobile, decent offensive instincts and skills
cons: size, he's listed at 5'11 like York and Heinola but he looks two inches shorter than those guys, i doubt he's more than 5'10. offensive upside is also a bit of a questionmark, not sure if he's dynamic enough to be a true top-end defenseman

Broberg
pros: size, skating and puck-rushing abilities, think Nurse
cons: defensive awareness and positioning, doesn't read the play very well and can be caught standing around, think Nurse

Byram
pros: very good offensive player, great hands and good at finding angles to get his shot off, can log a lot of minutes as well
cons: skating needs work, think he can improve his decision-making in some areas

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I wonder how the Oilers will manage to screw this kid up. Will be interesting to watch

Think it's gonna be pretty hard. He's very likely NHL ready right off the bat next year in a way that neither Pulju, Yak or even Drai was. This is a guy putting up close to PPG in one of the toughest (defensive) leagues in the world who has size, skill, smarts and wheels. He'll step in and make an impact right away.

Reactions: 780il

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Jack Hughes is still the #1 player in my books, the offensive skills are just off the charts with him, only question mark for me is his shot but that can be worked on.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I think I'd take Kakko over Hughes.

Hughes is like pre-draft McDavid. Great puck-carrier with filthy hands and playmaking abilities, but he doesn't shoot and has a muffin of a shot.

Kakko is a goalscorer, big and strong and good in all facets of the game. If we get #1 he should be the pick. His style of play is perfect for the current NHL.
Agreed. I've had Kakko ahead of Hughes for a while now. Kakko just seems like the full all-round package. The only real concern anyone has for him is that he's Finnish. Hughes is also amazing, but his strength and shot are valid concerns. I think Kakko will translate much better (and earlier) than Hughes will to the NHL.

Even the Oilers couldn't ruin him.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Goal and two assists, 1st star for Philip Tomasino. Looks like we won't be in the range to pick him unless we trade down (or up with our 2nd+), which is unfortunate.

Pavel Dorofeyev is a name that hasn't been mentioned at all in this thread. Yes he's Russian, but he's a guy I'm really high on. We can just send him to Russia for a couple years and I think he could be a star.

2018-19 stats:

Podkolzin:
KHL: 0-0-0 in 3 gp
MHL: 6-2-8 in 12 gp

Dorofeyev:
KHL: 1-1-2 in 23 gp
MHL: 17-14-31 in 19 gp

1.63 vs 0.66 ppg. Why in the world is Podkolzin ranked so highly?

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So watched a little bit more on Podkolzin. Saw a shift-by-shift on him in MHL. Was not impressed. It's clear that he's skilled and has good hands and a decent shot, but beyond that there isn't much to his game. He didn't really create many chances and I think he had 1 good pass all game. He is clearly not a playmaker and it's easy to see why he only has 2 assists to his name in 12 games.

This is a guy ranked top3 and in a weak junior league like the MHL. He should be toying with them and setting up chances left and right based off his ranking, but all he does is dangle, dangle, dangle until he loses the puck basically. I threw together some clips of it. Podkolzin is #19 in blue.

Dangles himself into trouble, but then shows his good hustle in trying to win the puck back.

Tries to carry the puck up the ice, loses it instantly. Admittedly a somewhat tough situation to get the puck in so I'll cut him some slack here.

Then this clip is only a few seconds later on the same shift. Again tries to dangle his way through a slew of opponents and loses the puck.

Reactions: 780il and Llamamoto

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Continuiation of previous post...

Here Podkolzin is at the right faceoff circle with control of the puck and has all the time in the world to make a simple pass to his defenseman at the blueline which would be the smart play here. Instead he opts to dangle with three opponents surrounding him. He is skilled enough to pull it off the first time, but then he gets the puck again on the other side of the ice, fails to shield the puck and cause instead a turnover.

Last clip. He carries the puck up the ice trying to gain the zone on the power play. Opts for a very dangerous play where he tries to carry it in himself again surrounded by three opponents instead of taking a safer option.

For Podkolzin to be successful playing the style that he is he would need to be a lot more shifty, explosive and elusive of a skater (think Johnny Gaudreau) and/or a lot stronger on the puck. This was a game against kids in MHL and I still saw him get muscled off the puck rather easily a number of times. For a kid who supposedly is 6'1, 190 lbs, he's not very strong.

And it's evident not just in this video but in every other video I've seen with him, whether it's the Ivan Hlinka, the VHL or MHL.

Reactions: 780il and Llamamoto

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's already filled in at 6'4 207. Not very skinny and raw like Pulju was. He can skate very very well and make plays in tight. Loves to use his big body down low and protect the puck with his amazing edges and hands. He really is Rantanen 2.0 but with better skating imo.

He'd be a stud next to Nuge at the 2rw

Yeah he's a better prospect than Rantanen , but I believe he's a 6'2.

I call Rants the king behind the net because nobody can take the puck away from him and Kakko has that same feel.
High end powerforward in the making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad