Prospect Info: The Adolescent 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thanks. So hopefully we keep our 2020 1st if we decide to deal futures to improve the team immediately with non rentals.

If we trade our 2020 1st I will lose my ****. That draft is likely the best since the 2015 draft.

This draft is a bit weaker than average I think is the consensus from what I’ve seen and read. Although if we walked away with Byram or Cozens I would be ecstatic.

Byram reminds me of Rielly and Heiskanen as far as comparisons go.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
If we trade our 2020 1st I will lose my ****. That draft is likely the best since the 2015 draft.

This draft is a bit weaker than average I think is the consensus from what I’ve seen and read. Although if we walked away with Byram or Cozens I would be ecstatic.

Byram reminds me of Rielly and Heiskanen as far as comparisons go.

Those are two pretty different players, though my memory of Rielly the prospect is pretty faded at this point. IIRC Rielly was much more of an offensive guy than Heiskanen (and certainly is right now!). Heiskanen is a beautiful skater who relies on his skating to both join the rush and play really defensively sound hockey. His offense is from good smart passes and skating in for wrist shots. Rielly on the other hand has the eye for those seeing-eye passes and big shots from the point. I suppose their skating is somewhat similar, though I'd give that one to Heiskanen. Am I missing something?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I'd trade down for another pick and come out of the 1st round with McMichael and Tomasino
That would be amazing.

Or if we make the playoffs (still a fair chance) we can draft McMichael with our 1st and trade up with our 2nd + 3rd to draft Tomasino.

I love both those guys.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Okay so this shift-by-shift video on Dylan Cozens just came out:

I was excited to watch this because it finally allowed me to get an extended look on Cozens and an opportunity for me to see if the issues I've had with Cozens have just been due to the limited sample size I've seen him in previously and I'd now get to see how good he really is.

That turned out not to be the case. My initial assessment of him was spot on. I really don't get what people see in this player and why he is a consensus top5 prospect. There are so many red flags to his game, most notably that he just doesn't process the game very well at all. He plays so reactive and is always a step behind the play. Unless there's tons of open ice he just doesn't know how to get open or support his teammates.

Beyond that his puck skills are really poor. I found myself nervous any time he was handling it while not in full-flight. His vision looks terrible honestly, he just has a lot of trouble finding passes. On top of that I think his skating gets quite overrated. Yes it's decent for a bigger guy but that really isn't saying much. His first few steps are quite choppy and beyond straight-line speed his skating doesn't really do much for me. He's not agile (his transitions are quite rough) and he's not strong on his skates.

Doesn't really use his body to protect the puck either, you can see him lose the puck several times to simple pokechecks. I don't know if his defensive game will ever be that good either since as I mentioned before he is always a step behind the play.

I don't know..Cozens look like a very long-term project who will needs lots and lots of time to improve his game to reach an acceptable NHL standard. His (realistic) upside to me looks more like a sheltered 3rd liner than a 1st liner.

Finally just wanted to show one clip from that video that highlights a bit of my concerns with him:

The first part of it is great, he comes back defensively and uses his body to gain inside position and skate the puck out of immediate danger. Then he has plenty of time and space to make a play but somehow can't make a decision and just ends up skating the puck right into a Seattle forward and loses it in an incredibly dangerous position and is lucky that puck doesn't end up in his own net. That's the type of stuff that drives you (or at least me) crazy. That's basically Cozens in a nutshell for me.

Reactions: Soli and Aerrol

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Newhook would be a steal as well in this draft with some scouts sleeping on him.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

I was excited to watch this because it finally allowed me to get an extended look on Cozens and an opportunity for me to see if the issues I've had with Cozens have just been due to the limited sample size I've seen him in previously and I'd now get to see how good he really is.

That turned out not to be the case. My initial assessment of him was spot on. I really don't get what people see in this player and why he is a consensus top5 prospect. There are so many red flags to his game, most notably that he just doesn't process the game very well at all. He plays so reactive and is always a step behind the play. Unless there's tons of open ice he just doesn't know how to get open or support his teammates.

Beyond that his puck skills are really poor. I found myself nervous any time he was handling it while not in full-flight. His vision looks terrible honestly, he just has a lot of trouble finding passes. On top of that I think his skating gets quite overrated. Yes it's decent for a bigger guy but that really isn't saying much. His first few steps are quite choppy and beyond straight-line speed his skating doesn't really do much for me. He's not agile (his transitions are quite rough) and he's not strong on his skates.

Doesn't really use his body to protect the puck either, you can see him lose the puck several times to simple pokechecks. I don't know if his defensive game will ever be that good either since as I mentioned before he is always a step behind the play.

I don't know..Cozens look like a very long-term project who will needs lots and lots of time to improve his game to reach an acceptable NHL standard. His (realistic) upside to me looks more like a sheltered 3rd liner than a 1st liner.

Finally just wanted to show one clip from that video that highlights a bit of my concerns with him:

The first part of it is great, he comes back defensively and uses his body to gain inside position and skate the puck out of immediate danger. Then he has plenty of time and space to make a play but somehow can't make a decision and just ends up skating the puck right into a Seattle forward and loses it in an incredibly dangerous position and is lucky that puck doesn't end up in his own net. That's the type of stuff that drives you (or at least me) crazy. That's basically Cozens in a nutshell for me.

Meh, we won't be picking high enough to get him anyway.

I would be willing to put money on the fact that we draft Krebs this year. Bobby burgers talked about character and compete which he has in spades. He's from Alberta and plays in the dub (Oilers love these guys). He's quick, hard working, has good IQ, good hands, and a slick wrister. Also, with the Org having a high belief in Pulju and Yamo on the RW, I think they will want a lw seeing as we don't really have anything there apart from a b prospect (Benson).

If we do decide to move up I think they'll have hometown bias and go with Kirby Dach.

Reactions: Zaddy

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Meh, we won't be picking high enough to get him anyway.

I would be willing to put money on the fact that we draft Krebs this year. Bobby burgers talked about character and compete which he has in spades. He's from Alberta and plays in the dub (Oilers love these guys). He's quick, hard working, has good IQ, good hands, and a slick wrister. Also, with the Org having a high belief in Pulju and Yamo on the RW, I think they will want a lw seeing as we don't really have anything there apart from a b prospect (Benson).

If we do decide to move up I think they'll have hometown bias and go with Kirby Dach.

Yeah, it's Dach/Krebs or bust for me if the team is picking outside the top2 and either one of them is available.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'd trade down for another pick and come out of the 1st round with McMichael and Tomasino
I haven't watched much of either.

What would you say the strengths of them are, and what are their weaknesses?

McMichael would cause Quinn to have a stroke if he tried to call an oiler game though.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

McMichael would cause Quinn to have a stroke if he tried to call an oiler game though.
I would be lying if I told you that I follow their games cause I don't. I've always only watched highlights of prospects and go with who I like more. I'd avoid going BPA at this point but rather which prospects compliment McDavid, Drai and RNH and I think McMichael's scoring ability and Tomasino's IQ is a good fit on the Oilers. Both players can skate and that's very desirable in today's game.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Reading between the lines at Bob Nicholson’s press conference he is very much willing to trade our 1st OA for a winger but he wanted to establish to the other teams it better be a darn good offer, we aren’t throwing away picks and prospects for nothing like under Chia.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I'd say both of them are great skaters with top-end hockey sense, solid two-way play, a quick shot and underrated passing.

McMichael is the better two-way player(might be the best in draft), but is a bit less dynamic. I think he uses his skating similar to how RNH does. Creates separation and lanes going east/west in the zone.

Tomasino is the more electric of the two. He uses his skating to blow by people.

I'd say the main weakness is size/strength. They both get their nose dirty along the boards and on the forecheck, but they're about 6'0" 170-180lbs.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
@HeavyHitter99

Since you seem to be very in tune with the Dub prospects I want to ask you about Krebs. How is his skating? Shot? Physicality? Passing and IQ? Whats your rundown on him?

Also, what do you think about Byram? Whenever I watch him I see a lot of Roman Josi, is that accurate or not?

Broberg is another name I'm really interested in (not in the WHL Ik)

What is the NHL readiness of these guys? When will they break in to the NHL?

Who would you pick for the Oil out of these 3?

Thanks.

Reactions: Aerrol

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I know this is a bit lazy of me, but where does Logan Barlage rank nowadays in the draft? I remember at the start of the year he snuck into a few top 30 lists, but I imagine he's looking more like a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
@HeavyHitter99

Since you seem to be very in tune with the Dub prospects I want to ask you about Krebs. How is his skating? Shot? Physicality? Passing and IQ? Whats your rundown on him?

Also, what do you think about Byram? Whenever I watch him I see a lot of Roman Josi, is that accurate or not?

Broberg is another name I'm really interested in (not in the WHL Ik)

What is the NHL readiness of these guys? When will they break in to the NHL?

Who would you pick for the Oil out of these 3?

Thanks.

Krebs: average size and an above average skater. He isn’t the most explosive forward by any means but he has solid overall mobility and the quickness necessary to beat defenders. His physicality isn’t great due to his size but he doesn’t hesitate to go to those dirty areas and he’s a competitor. Has a sneaky release on his shot but is definitely a pass first player. Playmaking and vision are both excellent. Leadership and hockey sense are two of his best assets.

Byram: Average size and strong overall mobility. Hockey sense, offense and puck moving are his greatest assets. Personally I’m not a big fan of comparables but I like the Morgan Rielly comparison. Both have that offensive flair but both compete well in the defensive zone.

Broberg: Big offensive minded defender with a very powerful, impressive stride. Nurse is a great skater for his size but Broberg is even more explosive. Really likes to lead the rush up ice and has good strength behind his shot. Has some physicality in his game and does a good job of defending the front of the net. Physical tools are all there but hockey sense and consistency are questionable at times.

I hate rushing prospects but I would say that Krebs and Byram could push for spots in the nhl after another junior season. Broberg I would give extra time to as I’ve seen some rawness in his game.

Who would I pick of the 3? Tough choice as I like all 3. I would most likely say Byram but he likely goes before the Oilers pick.
I know this is a bit lazy of me, but where does Logan Barlage rank nowadays in the draft? I remember at the start of the year he snuck into a few top 30 lists, but I imagine he's looking more like a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

Barlage definitely has talent and obvious size but his skating, while improved, is definitely a concern. So far his mobility is what has prevented him from having a big impact in the WHL. In bantam he was very highly touted and went 4th overall(behind Krebs, Dach and Byram) but he hasn’t been able to make the same kind of impact. I have a hard time seeing him going in the 2nd round right now.

Reactions: snipes and 780il

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
If we pick high I want Krebs. I don't see us picking top-5 this year, so Krebs would be amazing.

If not, I want one of McMichael or Tomasino.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

Huh. If a team has two late firsts, and we get the 4th to 7th spot, I wonder if we could trade the high pick + a second for the two late firsts, selecting McMichael and Tomasino.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Huh. If a team has two late firsts, and we get the 4th to 7th spot, I wonder if we could trade the high pick + a second for the two late firsts, selecting McMichael and Tomasino.
If we get from 4-7 I would just draft a guy like Krebs. I'd make that trade though if we're picking 11-15.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yeah trading up, or trading down, or him landing in our spot, I really want us to end up with Tomasino. I know its an IceDogs homer pick, but this guy just has the perfect skillset for this team, and I always love taking a guy who is trending up quickly.

He's fast, smart, versatile, great shot and shoots right!

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Cozens doesn't look impressive for a top 5 at all. We are better off drafting Brett Leason and he probably only costs a late 1st

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Yeah trading up, or trading down, or him landing in our spot, I really want us to end up with Tomasino. I know its an IceDogs homer pick, but this guy just has the perfect skillset for this team, and I always love taking a guy who is trending up quickly.

He's fast, smart, versatile, great shot and shoots right!
I've said it before, but him and McMichael would be a dream. If we make the playoffs, draft one with our 1st and trade up with our 2nd to get the other. If we end up with a higher pick, trade that with a 2nd for 2 late 1sts and get them both.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad