Prospect Info: The Adolescent 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I haven't read much of this thread at all, but I've been doing some reading on my own lately about prospects in our range? In the event that neither Dach or Cozens are available (oh what a joy it would be if they were), how do people around here feel about Krebs?

Krebs would be my choice. He's very young, also a captain in his 2nd full season in the WHL, which is quite impressive and says a lot about his leadership qualities. He's having a good season on a very weak team. This is someone I can see just exploding in his draft+1 when his ELC slides. Ralph Lavoie is another interesting prospect, can't say I know much about him. He would be the opposite of Krebs, meaning he has all the raw tools but is an older player.

Arthur Kaliyev would be a scary pick for me, he's a big boom or bust type.

Aside from that, wouldn't be upset if we drafted Byram or S. Knight, but I think we really need a forward.

Edit: Just checked these rankings, and Ralph Lavoie dropped like 10 spots. Last time I checked he was always hovering around #12, give or take two spots. Notice that the three USNDP players are ahead of Dach, Cozens, and Krebs. Great. I'd prefer to draft one of the latter 3 anyway :)
I like Krebs, Turcotte, and Zegras if we can't get Cozens/Byram/Dach.

Krebs is my plan B after those guys. He's a great fit on our team apart from being right handed.

Edit: I like Boldy as well for that 2nd group, Byram is a good one as well

Last edited:

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I like Krebs, Turcotte, and Zebras if we can't get Cozens/Byram/Dach.

Krebs is my plan B after those guys. He's a great fit on our team apart from being right handed.

If we're picking in the top 10 it looks like a can't miss year really.

Spencer Knight is a fantastic goalie prospect, if we drafted him then our goalie pipeline is stocked and we can pretty much be rest assured the future of our goaltending is stable. Not to mention one of Rodrigue, Wells, Skinner, Starrett, or Hawkey could also be hits. If more than one of those prospects 'hits', that's a valuable, expendable asset.

Bowen Byram is a really impressive D prospect, I'd assume he goes in the top 8. But if he doesn't, god damn that's an impressive stat line: 43GP, 16G 27A | 43TP. If we draft him, our D-core of the future is very bright. Nashville and Anaheim are teams with a surplus of D, get to choose which players fit into their future and get really good returns for what they don't need.

Turcotte and Boldy look good, I don't know enough about Zegras. Is it worrying that the USDP is stacked? Sure, those three players are flourishing. But how would they do on a team that's not stacked?

Reactions: 780il

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I haven't read much of this thread at all, but I've been doing some reading on my own lately about prospects in our range? In the event that neither Dach or Cozens are available (oh what a joy it would be if they were), how do people around here feel about Krebs?

Krebs would be my choice. He's very young, also a captain in his 2nd full season in the WHL, which is quite impressive and says a lot about his leadership qualities. He's having a good season on a very weak team. This is someone I can see just exploding in his draft+1 when his ELC slides. Ralph Lavoie is another interesting prospect, can't say I know much about him. He would be the opposite of Krebs, meaning he has all the raw tools but is an older player.

Aside from that, wouldn't be upset if we drafted Byram or S. Knight, but I think we really need a forward.

Edit: Just checked these rankings, and Ralph Lavoie dropped like 10 spots. Last time I checked he was always hovering around #12, give or take two spots. Notice that the three USNDP players are ahead of Dach, Cozens, and Krebs. Great. I'd prefer to draft one of the latter 3 anyway :)

I've seen Krebs a couple of times and it's a bit hard to get a full read on him because his team is so bad. He has a ton of skill and works his ass off though.

One game I saw him play, his team was down like 5-1 in the 3rd and he was still working his tail off. Something that the current Oilers lack in spades...

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I've seen Krebs a couple of times and it's a bit hard to get a full read on him because his team is so bad. He has a ton of skill and works his ass off though.

One game I saw him play, his team was down like 5-1 in the 3rd and he was still working his tail off. Something that the current Oilers lack in spades...
Great character guy. That's for sure

And Bobby Burgers was talking about needing more character....

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I like Krebs, Turcotte, and Zebras if we can't get Cozens/Byram/Dach.

I’m not sure what liking Zebra’s has to do with hockey prospects. :sarcasm:

Reactions: 780il and oilers'72

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
The more I watch Byram the more I love his game too.

Roman Josi is a good comparable for his game and his upside. Really talented guy

It's defo between him and Cozens for who I want the Oil to nab with the 1st

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Puljujarvi was thought to be too good aswell, sure working out great.

Kakko is a completely different player. He actually has what it takes to succeed. Not really any red flags in his game, he's a very good all-around player. People were enamored with Puljujärvi because he was 6'4 and could skate like the wind. That was it. Kakko is 6'2 but has a physical presence and is, in contrast to Pulju, very good on the boards and reads the play a lot better.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I really like Krebs too. I think he'd be a great fit for the Oilers. Really he's the type of player that the team is missing. Real high IQ player with smooth skating who makes the right plays. Need more of those.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Kakko is a completely different player. He actually has what it takes to succeed. Not really any red flags in his game, he's a very good all-around player. People were enamored with Puljujärvi because he was 6'4 and could skate like the wind. That was it. Kakko is 6'2 but has a physical presence and is, in contrast to Pulju, very good on the boards and reads the play a lot better.

*And he put up some crazy points. I think it's kinda unfair to Pulju to ignore that part, haha. But yeah I agree, Kakko is an entirely different type of prospect to Pulju - he's much more refined in his skills. That's the big distinction for me. Pulju looked fumbly even when he was putting up huge points - never comfortable with his puckhandling, shooting or passing. Kakko looks in control, much like Laine did, but with worse hands/shooting, better skating, better boardwork, and better defensive effort (though not the best defensive reads IMO).

That said, given the Oilers track records with poor English speakers, I'd still be leery about us drafting him.

Reactions: Zaddy

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Krebs relentlessness on the puck reminds me of Nuge, I like his game and compete level, would be ok with him in our range. I like Byram too, reminds me of prime dan boyle or a prime sekera

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If the draft were today and that's how it fell:

1st (8th OV) - Draft Peyton Krebs.

2nd (39th OV) - Trade up on day 2 and secure Phil Tomasino
I'd trade up to 5 and take whichever of Cozens, Byram, or Dach is left. In that order.

I do really like Krebs tho so I'd be happy with him.

Reactions: Soli

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I'd trade up to 5 and take whichever of Cozens, Byram, or Dach is left. In that order.

I do really like Krebs tho so I'd be happy with him.

I'd rather trade up for either Cozens or Dach as well. I've flip flopped between the two over the course of the season.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Is it just me or does Cozens seem to play in slow motion? His skating, stick handling etc look slow to me.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I would take Krebs over Cozens if Dach is gone I think.
Me too, man. I keep hearing everyone rave about Cozens, but I don't see the same IQ of Dach or Krebs. I'm certainly no expert, but that's just what I've seen from limited viewings of all 3 guys. Cozens is a damn good player, don't get me wrong, but I see more potential in Dach, Krebs and Byram.

I wish Dach had the same wheels as Cozens, but I think he can work on it.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Me too, man. I keep hearing everyone rave about Cozens, but I don't see the same IQ of Dach or Krebs. I'm certainly no expert, but that's just what I've seen from limited viewings of all 3 guys. Cozens is a damn good player, don't get me wrong, but I see more potential in Dach, Krebs and Byram.

I wish Dach had the same wheels as Cozens, but I think he can work on it.

Yeah exactly, Dach and Krebs are high IQ guys. You need to think fast in this league to have success.

I don't really think Dach's skating is a problem. I've said it before but I think his skating is underrated. He's not as fast in a straight-line as Cozens and other guys but straight-line speed doesn't matter much in todays game, it's too tightly checked so you're really not gonna use it much unless you're in the top percentage of skaters like McDavid, MacKinnon etc.

It's way more important to be good on your edges, agile and have a strong core and lower body to fight off checks and keep puck control. That's why a guy like Puljujärvi looked/looks fast but in reality he doesn't have much use for his speed while at the same time he is not agile or strong enough on his skates to keep possession, and that's something that Dach is very good at.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Looking deeper into the draft, Maxim Cajkovic is a guy I think is getting quite underrated by scouts. Many people had him in the 1st round, and some even in the top15, after the U18's last spring but now the highest he's ranked seem to be #57 by FC. Bob McKenzie has him #66.

I think he's a legit pick early on in the 2nd round. The guy "only" has 33 points in 40 games but is with that notion the highest scorer on a very bad Saint John Sea Dogs team. Seems like he's a victim of circumstances more than anything as he produced really well last year both in the U18's as an underager and at the J20 SuperElit level.

I think he has NHL skill forward written all over him. He feels like the type of pick Tampa makes and a couple of years down the road he's coming in on an ELC scoring 50-60 points.

Definitely think he's a guy the Oilers should be looking at in the 2nd round. He processes the game really well, he's a shifty skater with good hands who can both shoot and pass.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I have seen in this thread people comparing Byram to Morissey. Would a realistic upside for the guy be a good #2?

If people are sold on Byram being a top pair D e.i. skating, skill, and hockey IQ would not hold him back I think that would be a great pick. I get that we need forwards but I am quite inclined if we are not getting a guy who would transition well to the wing to potentially go with the top D.

BPA regardless but we need to make sure that whoever we pick has the highest skill level left on the board ideally.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I have seen in this thread people comparing Byram to Morissey. Would a realistic upside for the guy be a good #2?

If people are sold on Byram being a top pair D e.i. skating, skill, and hockey IQ would not hold him back I think that would be a great pick. I get that we need forwards but I am quite inclined if we are not getting a guy who would transition well to the wing to potentially go with the top D.

BPA regardless but we need to make sure that whoever we pick has the highest skill level left on the board ideally.
At the end of the day we're probably picking around #10 again. So the only way we get one of the Cozens, Byram, or Dach is by trading up.

I think we'll probably end up with Krebs as our pick this year, and I won't at all be opposed to that.

We can use all the help we can get, and dynamic 1st line wingers with high compete like him are always very valuable.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
At the end of the day we're probably picking around #10 again. So the only way we get one of the Cozens, Byram, or Dach is by trading up.

I think we'll probably end up with Krebs as our pick this year, and I won't at all be opposed to that.

We can use all the help we can get, and dynamic 1st line wingers with high compete like him are always very valuable.
IDK a couple of the teams around us have been turning it on and I see the 5-10 range as most likely.

My preferences are:
Top pairing D (need to possess all the skills to become one) or the Most skilled forward available.

I do like the sounds of Krebs and Turcotte right now from what I have read. But honestly would not be opposed to trying to move up if the team sees a player that they consider a driver and you can play RNH with that player in order to create two wicked combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->