Blue Jays Discussion: The 3B hero the Blue Jays need: Drury hits walk-off HR! (oh and some kid played too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Normally I would agree, but if we're talking a difference of a day or two, I think that business considerations can and should factor in when this is such an important event for the franchise. Having Vlad's debut buried because of a Leafs game 7 seems like a stupid thing to do when you could just have him debut the next day.

You can have that be the lead on every sportscast in Canada, or you can have it buried almost as an afterthought - why wouldn't you choose the former?

Its the Leafs, they'll be the national lead story win or lose for the rest of the week.

Reactions: Discoverer

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Its the Leafs, they'll be the national lead story win or lose for the rest of the week.

right and they always are. But why put him up on a night where the leafs are playing a win or go home game 7? its crazy, obviously they aren going to keep him out until they get ALL the media attention but why do it when the leafs are actually playing a game at the same time. Losing 100,00's of eyeballs on your product

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
right and they always are. But why put him up on a night where the leafs are playing a win or go home game 7? its crazy, obviously they aren going to keep him out until they get ALL the media attention but why do it when the leafs are actually playing a game at the same time. Losing 100,00's of eyeballs on your product

Not to mention the tens of thousands of people that could possibly attend as well.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
99% of the time when the Jays appear to make a decision for financial/business/non-baseball reasons they get raked over the coals for Rogers being such a business and making decisions for non-baseball reasons. Now they have a decision to make and people are getting worked up about them choosing to not make it for non-baseball reasons.

Even more directly: not calling up Vlad for service time (financial, non-baseball) reasons is awful. Not stalling for schedule conflict (financial, non-baseball) reasons is equally awful. Seems just a tad hypocritcal.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Not to mention the tens of thousands of people that could possibly attend as well.

Yeah people that in scotia bank and in maple leafs square could all be potential “vladdy debut” attendees, not to mention people at home. I’m surprised they haven’t just pushed it until a Friday or Saturday game getting the near on guaranteed sellout

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
99% of the time when the Jays appear to make a decision for financial/business/non-baseball reasons they get raked over the coals for Rogers being such a business and making decisions for non-baseball reasons. Now they have a decision to make and people are getting worked up about them choosing to not make it for non-baseball reasons.

Even more directly: not calling up Vlad for service time (financial, non-baseball) reasons is awful. Not stalling for schedule conflict (financial, non-baseball) reasons is equally awful. Seems just a tad hypocritcal.

Vladdy was only in AAA because he wasn't ready and was injured. What's this service time stuff?

:sarcasm:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think it's a simple explanation: they're taking a look at some guys they liked, while they wait on some players in the minors.

Better to give a look to guys from the system who have earned it (Burns, Ureba, Smith Jr.) than some other organization’s proven junk.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Better to give a look to guys from the system who have earned it (Burns, Ureba, Smith Jr.) than some other organization’s proven junk.

Smith Jr was before Pillar was traded and there was question about how many OF spots the team would be able to support between Toronto and Buffalo.

Burns it's questionable whether or not he's "earned" anything yet. He is coming back from strong play in Korea and has a good brief run in Buffalo this season, but he was let go for a reason. He always seemed like a bit of a Quad-A guy at best.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Smith Jr. lost his job to other internal candidates. They only turned to "other organizations' proven junk" because those internal players got injured.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
To be fair, as of today, the Smith Jr. thing does look like a mistake. I think we can all acknowledge that. The idea that you end up with a lesser post-prospect outfielder (Brito) on the mlb roster is annoying. I understand that was not the original plan, and other things transpired, but that also speaks to the fact that you don't make such moves on March 8th for no real reason whatsoever.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
To be fair, as of today, the Smith Jr. thing does look like a mistake. I think we can all acknowledge that. The idea that you end up with a lesser post-prospect outfielder (Brito) on the mlb roster is annoying. I understand that was not the original plan, and other things transpired, but that also speaks to the fact that you don't make such moves on March 8th for no real reason whatsoever.

Assuming a Pillar trade, Smith was clearly behind Grichuk, Hernandez, and McKinney. Then he was behind Pompey and Davis because they're both CF and he's strictly a corner OF. At best, he was 6th on the "currently ready" depth chart, with Alford close behind. It's unfortunate, but I don't think letting him go was all that illogical.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008

The move was made to get $500K in IFA money, it wasn't made for "no reason whatsoever". Dwight Smith Jr. versus Brito or any other scrub makes no difference on this team.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

The trade wasn’t made for April 22, it was made on March 8th for the short term and long term.

Pillar, Grichuk, Teoscar, and McKinney were getting spots over him. With the pitching squeeze and needing 40 man roster it made sense to move DSJ (soon to be 27; same age as Hernandez and 2 years older than McKinney) especially when a team is offering you 500k in international cap space. Hopefully they can use that and use it on Yolbert Sanchez.

Alford well ahead of him. Argument can be made Pompey and Davis were higher on the depth chart too.

Smith was traded on March 8th.

Pompey injured on March 20th (subsequently moved to the 60 man IL) and Davis was injured on March 21st.

Maybe Smith stays if those guys don’t get injured. At the time the trade made sense and in the long term still should. Glad Smith is doing well and got playing time.

Also unfortunately Smith left the game yesterday with an injury.

Last edited:

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Cross fingers that he can still cross his fingers :/

Any word on why Nate Pearson left his weekend start after 2ip?

It seems like a deliberate strategy to let him do a full start then do a couple innings the next start, it’s the second time the Jays have done this.

Reactions: aingefan

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It seems like a deliberate strategy to let him do a full start then do a couple innings the next start, it’s the second time the Jays have done this.

Interesting to note however both times have involved rain delays. The first time the game went ahead after a decent delay. This past time he was supposed to pitch the day prior but that game was rained out. Could be a deliberate strategy or it could just be a thing to deal with the fact he would have already been prepped for an hour/a day prior so they didn't want to force it too much.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Tough day on the farm.
Buffalo got smacked around. Bo got dinged on the hand.
Dunedin took it on the chin. No offensive standouts...and the team k’d 14 times. Maximo Castillo is a guy to watch. Not even 20 yet, had a nice outing.
Lansing....Joey Murray had a nice start working....until he faded in the 7th. And then....the bullpen imploded: hard. First, it allowed JM’s two baserunners to score, then gave up 3 more in the 7th. And then 7 more in the next three innings, including 4 in the 10th. Groshans, Kirk, and Pruitt again with good days at the dish. Same with DJ Neal who hit himself 2 dingers. Otto? Not so much. 0-6, 3k’s, 8lob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad