Blue Jays Discussion: The 3B hero the Blue Jays need: Drury hits walk-off HR! (oh and some kid played too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I’m not sure why Hanson is on the roster. He’s awful. Same with Brito.

I guess they aren’t regulars anyway, so it’s not a huge deal, but they don’t have futures with us, and I’d rather have players with some potential there.

Neither of them are the Smoak or Grichuk type project.

Maybe they don't want to rush players from the minors, so they are using these plugs.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
What's with the rush to trade Shoemaker this year (if he didn't get hurt I mean)? He is still eligible for arbitration next year. I was hoping for him to have a big year and possibly be part of the rotation next year.

I feel awful for him. Finally healthy, pitching great and he blows out his knee in a run-down play. Just crappy.

Buckleys

Jul 21, 2006
Is Gio Gonzalez someone we would look at? Only curious because of the injury build up. With Shoemaker, Richard and Borucki out long term and Sanchez fighting it, i was just curious if he makes sense to eat some innings or if Pannone/SRF get the nod.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
What's with the rush to trade Shoemaker this year (if he didn't get hurt I mean)? He is still eligible for arbitration next year. I was hoping for him to have a big year and possibly be part of the rotation next year.

I feel awful for him. Finally healthy, pitching great and he blows out his knee in a run-down play. Just crappy.

He's 32, and his play will more than likely only decline from here on out, it would be silly to expect him to be a contributor when this team is competing again.

Why would we not take advantage of his solid play, and get some assets that can help us when we're actually trying to win?

Of course, that was before the injury - really hoping he has a full recovery.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
He's 32, and his play will more than likely only decline from here on out, it would be silly to expect him to be a contributor when this team is competing again.

Why would we not take advantage of his solid play, and get some assets that can help us when we're actually trying to win?

Of course, that was before the injury - really hoping he has a full recovery.

My point was, there was no urgency to trade him. He's under club control. He was helping. The bottom line is they need guys to play the actual games between now and the time when they plan to be competitive.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I’m not sure why Hanson is on the roster. He’s awful. Same with Brito.

I guess they aren’t regulars anyway, so it’s not a huge deal, but they don’t have futures with us, and I’d rather have players with some potential there.

Neither of them are the Smoak or Grichuk type project.

It's easy to see why Brito is here. They wanted to trade Pillar, and they also wanted to give Alford time in Buffalo. That looked fine because they had Pompey and Davis as stopgap. They both those guys got hurt. So they held off on trading Pillar until they could acquire another stopgap rather than forcing Alford into a situation he hasn't really earned yet.

Brito has a bit of upside and is just giving Alford time to earn his shot. People don't like him because he's from outside the organization and had an awful start, but he's basically the exact same as Pompey.

Hanson... yeah, I don't really get that one. He was never needed at all.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
It's easy to see why Brito is here. They wanted to trade Pillar, and they also wanted to give Alford time in Buffalo. That looked fine because they had Pompey and Davis as stopgap. They both those guys got hurt. So they held off on trading Pillar until they could acquire another stopgap rather than forcing Alford into a situation he hasn't really earned yet.

Brito has a bit of upside and is just giving Alford time to earn his shot. People don't like him because he's from outside the organization and had an awful start, but he's basically the exact same as Pompey.

Hanson... yeah, I don't really get that one. He was never needed at all.

I think it's a simple explanation: they're taking a look at some guys they liked, while they wait on some players in the minors.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think it's a simple explanation: they're taking a look at some guys they liked, while they wait on some players in the minors.

I’d rather give Andy Burns, a guy who has been in our organization a while, a shot instead of Hanson. IIRC Burns is fairly able to play multiple positions, though perhaps that’s changed.

Brito is whatever. We only really have Alford knocking on the door (and Pompey whenever he gets healthy) and we’d rather Alford play full-time at AAA anyway.

Hopefully when Pompey is back, Brito is optioned/DFA’d

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I’d rather give Andy Burns, a guy who has been in our organization a while, a shot instead of Hanson. IIRC Burns is fairly able to play multiple positions, though perhaps that’s changed.

Brito is whatever. We only really have Alford knocking on the door (and Pompey whenever he gets healthy) and we’d rather Alford play full-time at AAA anyway.

Serious question: how similar is Brito’s path/success to Pillar’s?
I’m not familiar with advanced stats, where to find them, etc, but a quick look shows Brito and Pillar to be quite similar in profile and performance.
And Pillar manned CF for a long time.
It’s a reasonable gamble.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Not really all that similar, but Pillar is another great example of a guy who didn't establish himself as an actual major league player until he was 26.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Comes to choice, we aren’t talking a stud prospect over Hanson. We are talking two fringe guys and it comes to choice and the FO chooses Hanson over Burns/the field.

One argument you get to keep Hanson with Burns rather than potentially losing Hanson for another marginal player in Burns.

In the end it shouldn’t be a huge deal, we are talking about our 24th or 25th player. We have had worse players in seasons we were we are trying to contend. If Hanson keeps playing like this he will be long gone soon.

Toronto Blue Jays Leaderboards » 2019 » Batters » Dashboard | FanGraphs Baseball

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's nice to know that on Wednesday we'll have the Raptors and Vladdy Jr. to cheer for.

Tuesday night is wild.

Leafs-Bruins Game 7. Could Advance
Raptors Game 5. Could Advance
Possible Vladdy Jr Debut.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Tuesday night is wild.

Leafs-Bruins Game 7. Could Advance
Raptors Game 5. Could Advance
Possible Vladdy Jr Debut.

crazy to me, wait another day. His debut will be their biggest draw of the season do it when the other 2 aren't playing. I'm pumped to watch him play but im not missing game 7

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
surely they hold him out 1 more game and don't put his debut up against the leafs game 7

If management is making a decision on when to call him up based on what's happening in other sports, they should be fired.

What happens if the Leafs win Game 7? Do they wait to call him up until the second round of the NHL playoffs is over? What happens if the Leafs win the second round? Do they wait again?

They should call him up when they think he's ready and fully recovered from his spring injury. Those are the only considerations that matter.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If management is making a decision on when to call him up based on what's happening in other sports, they should be fired.

What happens if the Leafs win Game 7? Do they wait to call him up until the second round of the NHL playoffs is over? What happens if the Leafs win the second round? Do they wait again?

They should call him up when they think he's ready and fully recovered from his spring injury. Those are the only considerations that matter.

obviously not, the very next day the leafs wont be playing win or lose will they? his debut can only ever happen one time so they've waited this long to do it on a night where they will be lucky to be 3rd best option seems stupid to me.

I think you knew what I was saying and you decided to post all the crap about the whole playoffs etc

Reactions: shortfuze

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA

Normally I would agree, but if we're talking a difference of a day or two, I think that business considerations can and should factor in when this is such an important event for the franchise. Having Vlad's debut buried because of a Leafs game 7 seems like a stupid thing to do when you could just have him debut the next day.

You can have that be the lead on every sportscast in Canada, or you can have it buried almost as an afterthought - why wouldn't you choose the former?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad