Blue Jays Discussion: The 3B hero the Blue Jays need: Drury hits walk-off HR! (oh and some kid played too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Changing your tune again with another false statement rather than admit you were wrong... never change zeke... never change.

yesteday we subtracted Pillar and added Hanson, Law, and Brito.

less room for the kids, not more.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
slow starts have already diminished a couple kids rookie splashes last year.

this year + last year

Jansen: 91wrc+, 0.8war
Gurriel: 92wrc+, 0.1war
McKinney: 102wrc+, -0.1war

but hey, at least Rowdy is still killing it.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
yesteday we subtracted Pillar and added Hanson, Law, and Brito.

less room for the kids, not more.

Happy about the moves one day and mad about them the next. Says one thing one day and another the next. There is a word for this problem you have;

Blue Jays Discussion: - So long Pillar, and thanks for all the catches

don't even know who those guys are. but good.

now do smoak.

Hanson - 26yr old with no real position and doesn't hit much. nothing here.

Law - 28yr old borderline mlb (mostly AAA) reliever

De Paula- legit young 21yr old pitching prospect, probably reliever upside

brito had a great year in AAA last year, and can field.

Reactions: Eyedea

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
5 former Jays on the Giants - Pillar, Solarte, Kratz, Dyson and Venditte.

FG projects a cumulative batter WAR of 17.3 for the Giants, a cumulative pitcher WAR of 9.0 for the Giants for a total of 263 WAR.

For the Jays? the exact same.

upload_2019-4-3_12-35-4.png

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Happy about the moves one day and mad about them the next. Says one thing one day and another the next.

nothing about being happy or sad with any of these moves.

yesterday's moves were all ok.

I was agreeing with another poster about something not direclty about any of these moves - just about the point that merely dumping veteran players doesn't actually contribute towards a rebuild.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hitters, Last Calendar Year (in a pseudo-batting order)

(war = war per 650pa)

CF Grichuk (27): 467pa, .280babip, 116wrc+, 2.9war
1B Smoak (32): 602pa, .287babip, 116wrc+, 1.4war
DH Tellez (24): 86pa, .358babip, 173wrc+, 5.3war
LF Teoscar (26): 548pa, .305babip, 105wrc+, 0.4war
RF McKinney (24): 144pa, .278babip, 104wrc+, 0.4war
3B Gurriel (25): 279pa, .312babip, 92wrc+, 0.2war
C Jansen (24): 114pa, .247babip, 91wrc+, 4.6war
2B Hanson (26): 310pa, .303babip, 86wrc+, 1.0war
SS Galvis (29): 661pa, .303babip, 85wrc+, 1.3war

UT Travis (28): 365pa, .257babip, 81wrc+, -0.5war (inj)
OF Pompey (26): 11pa, .500babip, 35wrc+, 0.0war (inj)
IF Urena (23): 119pa, .452babip, 114wrc+, 3.3war
C Maile (28): 232pa, .346babip, 91wrc+, 5.6war

OF Brito (26): 44pa, .194babip, 26wrc+, -4.4war
OF Alford (24): 24pa, .167babip, -25wrc+, -5.4war
IF Drury (26): 95pa, .222babip, 20wrc+, -4.8war
C McGuire (24): 33pa, .350babip, 146wrc+, 7.9war

I kept Urena and Maile on the bench there despite their good numbers because it looks like they're just being sustained by high babip (unlike rowdy, whose overall line would still be good even without that babip).

Jansen seems to be the one guy in the starting lineup who's been unlucky via babip.

Last edited:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
nothing about being happy or sad with any of these moves.

yesterday's moves were all ok.

I was agreeing with another poster about something not direclty about any of these moves - just about the point that merely dumping veteran players doesn't actually contribute towards a rebuild.

But it does. How else do you create playing time for the next core? Or young players?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
In retrospect, of course. But we all know management would have been crucified if they took that route.

Management was crucified for taking the half-assed route they took, and lying about it the whole time.

They didn't escape any crucifiction for doing what they did. They were cruficied for it, and rightly so.

In fact, it's much more likely they would have been far less criticized today if they had taken bold action after that season in either direction, even if it was towards a full on rebuild.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
You've gotta think that SRF is going to continue to start since he wasn't demoted for a RP. I thought we might see Panonne or Gaviglio get a start next, but the FO likely doesn't see either as legit starting options, which is understandable.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Management was crucified for taking the half-assed route they took, and lying about it the whole time.

They didn't escape any crucifiction for doing what they did. They were cruficied for it, and rightly so.

In fact, it's much more likely they would have been far less criticized today if they had taken bold action after that season in either direction, even if it was towards a full on rebuild.

I dont expect this to go anywhere because you are simply unable to do it but crucified by who? Just you because thats all i remember. And lying to who?

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I normally enjoy listening to the different GM's in this city. But as hard as I try, I can't listen to Atkins for more than 30 seconds. Zero substance. Total puppet. I just do not believe in this mgmt team. Hoping they prove me wrong.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I dont expect this to go anywhere because you are simply unable to do it but crucified by who? Just you because thats all i remember. And lying to who?

a) the fans
b) the fans

"[Shapiro] admits he was taken aback by the vitriol that greeted his arrival and was confused by his portrayal as some dastardly marauder.
“It’s not consistent with who I’ve been for 24 years,” he told the Star in an interview earlier this week. “I’ve got a pretty good track record of who I am as a person and who I am as a leader. So it’s a little strange to all of a sudden go from a guy who was considered to be a nice guy to a guy who’s Darth Vader.”
Shapiro has dealt with being unpopular before. His first order of business as GM in Cleveland was to oversee a complete rebuild, which involved trading away the team’s best players. In the aftermath, a radio caller once compared him to Osama bin Laden.
But “this,” Shapiro says — meaning his rough ride in Toronto — “is a little more personal than that.”

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
a) the fans
b) the fans

Attacked for taking the half-assed route? There wasn't even a route to take back in January 2016. He was criticized for AA's departure, not standing pat. But right, if he were to have immediately kickstarted the rebuild once AA left, I'm sureeeeeee the fans would have been okay with that.

Reactions: phillipmike

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
ok fine so shapkins definitely saved their reputation by not blowing it up.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
a) the fans
b) the fans

Same fans like you who thought the Jays should have gave Bautista, Edwin and Donaldson what they wanted?

LMAO, that article was from BEFORE the 2016 season AND about Anthopoulos' departure so how could this be about fans being upset about how the team was built when the season didnt start yet?

Blue Jays president Mark Shapiro says he’s no ‘Darth Vader’ | The Star

As another poster pointed out that quote was from 2015 on AA's departure NOT about how they built or in your case went the "half-assed" route and lied about it.

You literally left out this sentence;

Shapiro says he anticipated a strong reaction from fans when Anthopoulos decided not to re-sign with the club. But he admits he was taken aback by the vitriol that greeted his arrival and was confused by his portrayal as some dastardly marauder.

“It’s not consistent with who I’ve been for 24 years,” he told the Star in an interview earlier this week. “I’ve got a pretty good track record of who I am as a person and who I am as a leader. So it’s a little strange to all of a sudden go from a guy who was considered to be a nice guy to a guy who’s Darth Vader.”
Shapiro has dealt with being unpopular before. His first order of business as GM in Cleveland was to oversee a complete rebuild, which involved trading away the team’s best players. In the aftermath, a radio caller once compared him to Osama bin Laden.
But “this,” Shapiro says — meaning his rough ride in Toronto — “is a little more personal than that.”

You are using false memories to try to portray a poor point. Fabrications and using articles that do not have anything to do with your point which misleads the readers here. In other words, clearly lying to prove another illogical point. I see one liar here and its you.

Last edited:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I normally enjoy listening to the different GM's in this city. But as hard as I try, I can't listen to Atkins for more than 30 seconds. Zero substance. Total puppet. I just do not believe in this mgmt team. Hoping they prove me wrong.

There really isn't anything that Atkins has done to deserve the constant hate he gets.

He inherited a team on a downward spiral. He's done pretty well to restock the farm with picks like Bo Bichette, Nate Pearson and Jordan Groshans and signing quality players like Orelvis Martinez, Eric Pardinho and Loudes Gurriel.

The result will be seen in the coming few years when our core is fully baked.

I met him once last year walking into the Rogers Center. I recognized him and went ahead to say hello. He actually stopped and conversed for a couple of minutes and seemed genuinely nice. When he does his interviews and press conference, I've always found him articulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille