Post-Game Talk: The 3 "GOATS" of the Game

Your 3 "Goats" of this debacle...err, I mean game

• Total voters

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Overall we didn't even play THAT poorly, not nearly as bad as the Caps game. It was just a few huge mistakes. We handed them three different 5-star opportunities on a platter and they cashed in on all of them. Otherwise shots were pretty even.

Bratt and Sharangovich both earned their benching but both responded well afterwards.

Tatar had his worst game as a Devil.

Zacha *looks* like the best forward on the roster right now. Maybe he's just been in the right place at the right time during the small sample size of this season, but right now it just seems like he's making the right decisions. I want to look a little deeper into the stats and see if this is actually true.

Siegenthaler was pretty atrocious. Thank God Subban is off the PP.

I loved seeing Johnsson willing to drop the gloves.

The bottom-6 really needs work. Geertsen is an idiot and a penalty machine who provides nothing, McLeod is allergic to the puck, Kuokkanen looks lost, Gauthier sucks. Vesey has been decent.

I'm not mad at Mercer, all young players make mistakes, but it makes me laugh how the broadcast team keeps going out of their way to mention multiple times every game how amazing he is defensively while watch him make horrible decision after horrible decision in the neutral zone. It's fine, he'll learn and get better and all young players go through this, but listening to Steve and Dano contiunue to reinforce this false narrative every game makes me laugh.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Saw just half of the game and it wasn’t pretty. Nico has to be better, especially with the absence of Hughes, Siegenthaler isn’t cutting it and Bratt has been mediocre since the start of the season.

I can’t believe we’ll have to rely on Pavel Zacha and a kid in Dawson Mercer to carry this team with Hughes on the IR.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Overall we didn't even play THAT poorly, not nearly as bad as the Caps game. It was just a few huge mistakes. We handed them three different 5-star opportunities on a platter and they cashed in on all of them. Otherwise shots were pretty even.

Bratt and Sharangovich both earned their benching but both responded well afterwards.

Zacha *looks* like the best forward on the roster right now. Maybe he's just been in the right place at the right time during the small sample size of this season, but right now it just seems like he's making the right decisions. I want to look a little deeper into the stats and see if this is actually true.

The bottom-6 really needs work. Geertsen is an idiot and a penalty machine who provides nothing, McLeod is allergic to the puck, Kuokkanen looks lost, Gauthier sucks. Vesey has been decent.

I'm not mad at Mercer, all young players make mistakes, but it makes me laugh how the broadcast team keeps going out of their way to mention multiple times every game how amazing he is defensively while watch him make horrible decision after horrible decision in the neutral zone. It's fine, he'll learn and get better and all young players go through this, but listening to Steve and Dano contiunue to reinforce this false narrative every game makes me laugh.

They looked better than the Caps game because Calgary isn't as good as Washington.

Its one thing to be out talented, but they look like they're collectively moping since Jack got hurt. They're not winning races, they're not driving the net, and they're not winning puck battles.

I could deal with a loss like this if they came to play, but the lack of effort is troubling

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think people need to adjust their long term expectations with regard to Nico. I don't think he's ever going to be a 70-80 point guy. That's unfortunate given his draft slot but he'll be a consistent 50-60 point player who is good in all areas. Not what you'd want from a first overall but still a crucial piece to the puzzle.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
I think people need to adjust their long term expectations with regard to Nico. I don't think he's ever going to be a 70-80 point guy. That's unfortunate given his draft slot but he'll be a consistent 50-60 point player who is good in all areas. Not what you'd want from a first overall but still a crucial piece to the puzzle.

I am fully accepting that 50-60 points range is what he probably is. I know its only 5 games and his advanced stats look good (I think), but he still needs work to get to that range at his current pace/play. A 60 point pace is still .7p/g.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
In our top 8 in scoring right now Jack Hughes is the only Shero drafted player.

5 of the players are Fitzgerald players.

For years we've been hearing about the much improved prospect pool and building the right way through the draft and Graves,Tatar, Johnson, Hamilton are half of this teams top 8 in scoring after 7 years of high picks.

I don't know man, I think we've wasted a lot of years... I'm just really glad Fitzgerald has moved us in a different direction.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I think Mercer missed covering Lucic on the first goal.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets

For years we've been hearing about the much improved prospect pool and building the right way through the draft and Graves,Tatar, Johnson, Hamilton are half of this teams top 8 in scoring after 7 years of high picks.

I don't know man, I think we've wasted a lot of years... I'm just really glad Fitzgerald has moved us in a different direction.
Shero was as bad at drafting and development as Lou. Don’t @ me.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
The "I think I made the correct choice" look.

ColemanCalgary.jpg

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

So when all of Fitzgerald's guys are playing well we aren't good enough to win, we can only win when Shero's guys are healthy and playing well. That's an interesting observation you've made.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So when all of Fitzgerald's guys are playing well we aren't good enough to win, we can only win when Shero's guys are healthy and playing well. That's an interesting observation you've made.
Yeah...We've been doing a lot of winning over the last several years...You got a point there. :rolleyes:

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
That's not my interpretation. I'm seeing that Fitz has done more for the current composition of this team, even if it's not as good as it could be, than Shero has.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

there's so much wrong with this (most notably drawing a conclusion like that 5 games into the season) but i just can't do it again.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I am apprehensive about the Pens game on Saturday. I could easily see that getting ugly, even if all their best players are out.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Yeah but I also think part of it is the narrative that goes along with “we’re building around Hischier and Hughes.” Sure, Hughes. But building around a 50 point player is not really a recipe for success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad