GDT: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft - Nashville, TN - 4:00pm (AZ) - ESPN, ESPN+

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
My wild take for tonight: Anaheim is going to throw a wrench in everyone's plans and take Michkov 2nd.

Reactions: ck26

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Columbus would be ecstatic and run up to take Fantilli...San Jose would also be on their heels to take Carlsson

My guess is that Washington moves up to 5, otherwise, Michkov is going to be a flyer

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Fellas, we only took 6 kids to dinner...we're getting 2 of those kids

Leonard, Dvorsky, Reinbacher, Benson, Wallinder, Yager

Book it, it will be some combination of this.
Simashev and Daniil But werent available to dine. ;)

I'm guessing But at 12 after hearing that Bill was was in Belarus.
Reinbacher at 6th and Simashev at 12th? Our future 1st pair? Then next draft we hit the lottery and get Celebrini or Eiserman.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I’m feeling today like this:

Reinbacher: 33%
Leonard: 33%
Dvorsky: 33%
Michkov: 1%

And they way they keep smirking and taking about “the unexpected” I wonder if they don’t have But and/Simashev like waaaaay up on their list. Maybe even Wallinder?

On Spittin’ Chiclets, the guys kept talking about how insane the surprises are going to be in on the top five to ten picks. That it’s going to be crazy. They seem to think Smith could go as high as 2nd and hinted at Wallinder going shockingly high.

Chiclets crew doesn’t know shit about the draft though.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Nobody will laugh at that. Everyone will say it’s a fine and sensible pick. He’s been mocked to us in nearly every mock where he doesn’t go to Montreal. The last time a defenseman didn’t go in the top six was 20 years ago when Ryan Suter went seventh. Reinbacher is seen as the top defenseman in this draft. There are no teams in the top ten with a bigger need on the blueline. It’s not that bad. He’s a top prospect would would’ve been in the mix with Nemec and Jiricek last draft.

I’m just bummed about the opportunity cost. There are forwards I like more. But he’s a very good prospect and I’ll make peace with it pretty quick.

All of that said, he’s the one guy I’m hoping we don’t pick. :)
Nemec and Jiricek were well ahead of Reinbacher at same age, in my eyes.

How good do you feel about walking into a draft with two picks in the top 12 where the forward class is probably 15-18 deep but we get a defenseman out of it (meaning there are probably 15-18 forwards who are likely to be as good or better than first D off board)? I would feel like we miscalculated the value of certain players and didn't get the best value out of it.

I do think that we may be interested in moving other 2nds for players in that controlled salary range like Durzi. The idea is to find players who have 2-3 years more of controlled expense, and then we allow for the draft to build a little more depth in the D pool. If Durzi works out (or another player acquired), the long term signing would occur in 2026 range, only a year or two short of the 5 year model (just with no arena at the moment). If not, cost was cheap and we hopefully have built out our prospect pool to replace.

We keep talking about drafting BPA and not for need, but Reinbacher as a selection seems like exactly the draft for need thing where if wrong, we just set ourselves back a lot.

Hogan20

May 1, 2016
Maine
Chi Bedard
Ana Fantilli
CBJ Carlsson
SJ Reinbacher
Mtl Smith
Was Michkov
Phi Leonard
AZ Dvorsky
Det Moore
StL Danielson
Van Willander
AZ But
I hope this is how it goes down. What do we think Washington would give us if they wanted to jump Philly? They have 3 3rds in 2024 and 3 2nds in 2025. Maybe one of each?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think it is safe to say that one of our picks will be a power forward type. Leonard at 6 or But at 12. Not sure we add both, but seems like at least one would be our pick.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Pick 6:

Ecstatic -
Michkov
Leonard
Smith (?)

This is fine -
Dvorsky

Wtf -
Reinbacher
Benson
Any other D

Pick 12:

Ecstatic -
Benson
Reinbacher
Wood

This is fine -
Willander
Sandin-pelikka
Gulyayev
Moore

Wtf -
Yager
Barlow
Simashev

John Chayka -
Cameron Allen

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I hope this is how it goes down. What do we think Washington would give us if they wanted to jump Philly? They have 3 3rds in 2024 and 3 2nds in 2025. Maybe one of each?
Fehervary or Chesley or Iorio

We have enough picks IMO, time to add a young Dman who's already begun their NHL journey.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Now that the Mckenzie rankings are in which are usually more accurate, I tried the draft simulator again Draft Simulator

I ended up with this:

Trades:
6, 81, 102 to DET for 9, 17
38, 72, 88, 162 to CAR for 30

9 - RW Ryan Leonard
12 - LW Gabriel Perreault
17 - RD Tom Willander
30 - RD Maxim Strbak
70 - G Adam Gajan
134 - C/RW Alex Weirmair
160 - RD Matteo Mann
166 - C Cole Knuble

That's 4 firsts lol. I don't see that happening but I'd be pretty thrilled with anything even close to this. I got pretty lucky that Leonard slipped to 9. Also probably a bit heavy on the RD.

Hogan20

May 1, 2016
Maine
Fehervary or Chesley or Iorio

We have enough picks IMO, time to add a young Dman who's already begun their NHL journey.

I just don't see Washington being willing to give up those guys in a trade.

I guess it depends if Washington thinks Philly will be taking Michkov.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Wonder if Teal Fowler is behind all the love for Reinbacher. I know they’re just rumors but I know his opinion matters in that room. If there is an elite 5 and Michkov falls I could see it being a real possibility. Hoping for Leonard at that spot because I get Iginla vibes off of him. Honestly I’ll get excited for whomever…

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I just don't see Washington being willing to give up those guys in a trade.

I guess it depends if Washington thinks Philly will be taking Michkov.
Agreed, the Michkov factor will be the story of the night.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Chiclets crew doesn’t know shit about the draft though.
Makes them more credible. iMo They were told directly and had to have it spelled out.

Wonder if Teal Fowler is behind all the love for Reinbacher. I know they’re just rumors but I know his opinion matters in that room. If there is an elite 5 and Michkov falls I could see it being a real possibility. Hoping for Leonard at that spot because I get Iginla vibes off of him. Honestly I’ll get excited for whomever…
He’s earned the voice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad