Pre-Game Talk: The 2023-2024 Tampa Bay Lightning Training Camp

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Only 3 preseason games left, so we're getting down to finalizing the roster and preparing for game #1. The Bolts most likely will carry 8 dmen and 13 forwards. So the defense is set, as it has been for a while, and that leaves 1 open forward spot in the lineup and 1 reserve. If I had to predict today I would say Merela is the 12th forward and ABB is the 13th.

Groshev - There was no way he was going to sit in a press box. He's done enough of that the past 2 years. So if he wasn't better than Merela, Syracuse is the best place for him until his time comes.

Watson - I just don't think he makes it. We have enough penalty killers, Jeannot can drop the mits when needed, and in case of injury, ect, I'd rather have a guy like Groshev come up instead of passing the baton to Watson. On the positive side for him I think somebody will definetely pick him up before the season starts.

Fortier - I'm not sure what you do with him. He could beat ABB out for the 13th forward spot, but like Watson, he's not really adding something to the team we lack. We have penalty killers, good forecheckers, and speed in our bottom 6. The kid is all effort, every night. Is it enough?

ABB - I think the offensive side of his game gives him a leg up on Watson and Fortier. They're playing him in the top 6 right now, and on the #2 pp unit, so he's getting those looks. If he is the 13th forward, I think you're more than ok with that being a 26 year old compared to a 22, 23 year old, who Brisebois would probably rather have in Syracuse. With ABB, we're past that now. I see good things in his game, but I think confidence, comfort, and placing him with the right linemates can really maximize his skills. Most importantly I just want to see him grab hold of this oppertunity. Competition's not over. You still have to win the job.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I don't see ABB sitting in a press box all year(or a majority of it) as a 13th F. Imo he's going to get a regular line up spot and playing time this season, if not with Tampa than with someone else.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Vasi has to be on the opening roster, essentially forcing us to start with three goalies, isn’t that complicating things even more?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Vasi has to be on the opening roster, essentially forcing us to start with three goalies, isn’t that complicating things even more?
Merela is on an ELC and doesn’t require waivers. So you can “send him down” before for the first day, put Vasy on injury reserve after day 1, and then “call up” Merela again to go from 24 to 23 players.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Darn was hoping they'd like Carlile enough to waive one of their 7th/8th dman.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't see ABB sitting in a press box all year(or a majority of it) as a 13th F. Imo he's going to get a regular line up spot and playing time this season, if not with Tampa than with someone else.
I dont know if that's true anymore. Vegas had no problem giving up on him. Depends on how much we value the Crunch winning, I guess, because he can help with that. But as a player I dont think we are overly worried about damaging his development anymore.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I dont know if that's true anymore. Vegas had no problem giving up on him. Depends on how much we value the Crunch winning, I guess, because he can help with that. But as a player I dont think we are overly worried about damaging his development anymore.
He had 2 games with Seattle, and I don't remember him with Vegas. He's done with the AHL imo, and if he continues with a good preseason, he should have a full time roster spot and regular playing time, either with Tampa or another team after he's claimed.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
He had 2 games with Seattle, and I don't remember him with Vegas. He's done with the AHL imo, and if he continues with a good preseason, he should have a full time roster spot and regular playing time, either with Tampa or another team after he's claimed.
Could not agree more. He has nothing left to prove at the AHL level. If he cannot make it with Tampa Bay or another NHL organization, it is time for him to look at overseas options as his North American options are seemingly closed.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
My mistake, it was Seattle. I just mean, I don't think we care if he's riding the pressbox rather than getting minutes. Honestly I think the jury came in on him last season. It would be pretty surprising if he now finally turned into the diamond in the rough we'd been hoping for. I think it's far more likely he becomes the 13th forward.

Might be he can still show some flashes. I feel like JAM and Verhaeghe both did that -- JAM more than Verhaeghe. ABB has had a similar AHL career but nothing about his game has stood out in his NHL looks. It appears he will get one more chance to do something, but he seems more like one of those guys who will always put up numbers at a lower tier, but never quite make it as an NHL regular. Basically, he seems more Corey Conacher than JAM.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
My mistake, it was Seattle. I just mean, I don't think we care if he's riding the pressbox rather than getting minutes. Honestly I think the jury came in on him last season. It would be pretty surprising if he now finally turned into the diamond in the rough we'd been hoping for. I think it's far more likely he becomes the 13th forward.

Might be he can still show some flashes. I feel like JAM and Verhaeghe both did that -- JAM more than Verhaeghe. ABB has had a similar AHL career but nothing about his game has stood out in his NHL looks. It appears he will get one more chance to do something, but he seems more like one of those guys who will always put up numbers at a lower tier, but never quite make it as an NHL regular. Basically, he seems more Corey Conacher than JAM.
32 total NHL games over 4 seasons, no more than maybe 16 at any time, had a better than ppg and plenty of comments from the Crunch staff indicating he may ha e found his game/turned a corner, but he's a lock for 13th F because Merela had 1 decent game.....

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
32 total NHL games over 4 seasons, no more than maybe 16 at any time, had a better than ppg and plenty of comments from the Crunch staff indicating he may ha e found his game/turned a corner, but he's a lock for 13th F because Merela had 1 decent game.....
I'm all for giving Merela and ABB equal opportunity early in the season and seeing who clicks or runs with it. My money is on Merela though as I think he's more useful on the lower lines if neither of them takes off offensively.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I'm all for giving Merela and ABB equal opportunity early in the season and seeing who clicks or runs with it. My money is on Merela though as I think he's more useful on the lower lines if neither of them takes off offensively.
Agreed, if Merela proves, over a reasonable sample size, that he is the better play, so be it. ABB has looked considerably better than last camp/preseason though, so I think if he can keep that level up then he could be with Paul-Stamkos on a line(if that's the way they choose to go). ABB seems a bit faster and showing better on ice vision/decision making than before as well, and his shot is of course still a plus imo.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The problem with ABB is the same as it was with Conacher, he's a scoring role or bust kind of player. If he isn't good enough to force him into the top 6, he won't be useful in a lower line either. If he can prove to be good enough for the NHL, Merelä will be a more versatile player that you can put anywhere in the lineup.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Agreed. The only problem ABB has vs JAM and Verhaeghe, is that for all his talent, his motor doesn't match his talent. It's like he's loafing out there vs a guy like Alex Volkov or Jesse Puljujarvi. They were always watching the game happen around them trying to figure out what to do next and then doing it like three seconds too late

Last edited:
Reactions: Peacefool

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Both JAM and Verhaeghe showed a lot more at the NHL level than ABB has. When we lost those two guys I was disappointed and felt like we were missing out on something; I don’t have the same feeling about ABB and was hoping somebody could step up and force him off the roster.

Reactions: LTIR Trickery

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
i’ve seen nothing to change my opinion on ABB. If he is given time he can get a nice pass or shot off but that time just doesn’t exist at the nhl level. if a defenseman goes anywhere near him he is just gonna lose the puck.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I went to the Lightning's Orlando practice.

TBL are good at keeping the guys moving. There's not a lot of downtime. Having so many coaches helped with that.

Even though they had worked on special teams a bit during drills, they went back and did some more after practice. I like they did that in a more relaxed setting. The players were able to practice creativity and chemistry.

The guys were able to try some things out, and problem solve together.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00