Prospect Info: The 2023-2024 Prospects Thread Pt. 3

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!....two Canucks in the top-10 of Button's affiliated prospects list.....Wilander at #9 and Lekerimakki at #10. Impressive considering the Canucks have traded away so many top picks over the past 2-3 seasons.

That's the 'good news'. The 'bad news' is that Raty and Podkolzin are nowhere to be found. Too many pro seasons under their belts, or did they just age out?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wow!....two Canucks in the top-10 of Button's affiliated prospects list.....Wilander at #9 and Lekerimakki at #10. Impressive considering the Canucks have traded away so many top picks over the past 2-3 seasons.

That's the 'good news'. The 'bad news' is that Raty and Podkolzin are nowhere to be found. Too many pro seasons under their belts, or did they just age out?

They aren’t good enough and I don’t know if either would be in the top-100 of this sort of list.

Podkolzin’s 100+ NHL games probably excludes him anyway.

Reactions: CloutierForVezina

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So 1st place in the league with arguably two top ten prospects leaguewide. Little bit of a turn around from the Benning years

Where it was 2nd last place in the league hoping Virtanen or Juolevi break out...

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
They aren’t good enough and I don’t know if either would be in the top-100 of this sort of list.

Podkolzin’s 100+ NHL games probably excludes him anyway.
Are you sure about Pod? Depends on the date range of those nhl games relative to age divided by Draft+ seasons

So 1st place in the league with arguably two top ten prospects leaguewide. Little bit of a turn around from the Benning years

Where it was 2nd last place in the league hoping Virtanen or Juolevi break out...
That was like reading a passage from the good bible and then the bad bible back to back

Reactions: M2Beezy

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

Dunno if I agree with having them both in the top 10, that said I'm not gonna complain one bit!

Reactions: Bonham

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Next season is make or break for Raty and there will be no more excuses he needs to have a huge leap forward like Bains did

Reactions: Vector

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I’m about the biggest Stankoven fan there is but his size really limits his ceiling.
He's also the kind of player a lot of coaches will view as Top 6 or bust due to his size. He's likely not going to get much opportunity given how deep a roster that Dallas has. I could see him getting traded in a year or two and succeeding on a team that isn't nearly as deep.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's also the kind of player a lot of coaches will view as Top 6 or bust due to his size. He's likely not going to get much opportunity given how deep a roster that Dallas has. I could see him getting traded in a year or two and succeeding on a team that isn't nearly as deep.

Coaches won’t play him at C either, in all likelihood.

His ceiling is basically Cole Caufield which is great for a 2nd rounder but pint-sized scoring wingers just don’t carry the value of impact C/D.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I’m about the biggest Stankoven fan there is but his size really limits his ceiling.
It's the Matt Phillips syndrome......a dominant player at the AHL-level, but in the NHL he's not big enough, or strong enough to play center. So he has to try and make it on the wing.

How well has he adapted? Well he was on waivers again and picked up by the Pens.....his third NHL team in less than a year.

Not saying Stankoven will follow in his footsteps, but the jury's still out. Sooner or later posters will figure it out that AHL stats for smaller players, don't really mean that much.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's the Matt Phillips syndrome......a dominant player at the AHL-level, but in the NHL he's not big enough, or strong enough to play center. So he has to try and make it on the wing.

How well has he adapted? Well he was on waivers again and picked up by the Pens.....his third NHL team in less than a year.

Not saying Stankoven will follow in his footsteps, but the jury's still out. Sooner or later posters will figure it out that AHL stats for smaller players, don't really mean that much.

Stankoven is much, much more dynamic than Phillips.

He’s going to be a top-6 forward in the NHL but 30-30-60 5’8 wingers don’t carry the value of high-minute C/D.

Reactions: Play

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Celebrini with another 4 point night. If only the drought years were lined up better. Him and Bedard will lead TC one day on a BC line.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Stankoven is much, much more dynamic than Phillips.

He’s going to be a top-6 forward in the NHL but 30-30-60 5’8 wingers don’t carry the value of high-minute C/D.

He's also a rookie pro outproducing Phillips' 5th AHL season.

Reactions: MS

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Raty 10pts in his last 10 games
Willander up to 18pts in 30 games and a team leading +25
Lekkerimaki 5 goals and an assist in his last 5 games
Bains looking like he has a NHL future
Silovs last 5 games has a .924 save pct
Hoglander 17 5v5 goals leads Vancouver

Good last couple weeks and more for many of our top prospects

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Raty 10pts in his last 10 games
Willander up to 18pts in 30 games and a team leading +25
Lekkerimaki 5 goals and an assist in his last 5 games
Bains looking like he has a NHL future
Silovs last 5 games has a .924 save pct
Hoglander 17 5v5 goals leads Vancouver

Good last couple weeks and more for many of our top prospects
I think you could also include Podkolzin and Tolopilo to this list. They've both improved significantly playing in Abby this season.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Next stop for D-Petey is in Abbotsford, maybe as early as 10-days to two weeks. Baby Canucks need all the help they can get on the back-end.

Will be interesting to see if he can be as physical in the AHL as was at the World Jr. Tournament or the in the Allsvenskan.......That's one of the strengths of his game.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Next stop for D-Petey is in Abbotsford, maybe as early as 10-days to two weeks. Baby Canucks need all the help they can get on the back-end.

Will be interesting to see if he can be as physical in the AHL as was at the World Jr. Tournament or the in the Allsvenskan.......That's one of the strengths of his game.
It will indeed, however, being physical playing teenagers is LOT different than when playing against men.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Every time this season that Karlsson has gotten a recall, I’ve been surprised it’s him and not Bains. Hope he gets his shot soon.
Bains looks overwhelmed out there and getting called up when the Canucks weren't in top form might just be plain bad luck.

I just don't see him as having any sort of NHL career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad