Prospect Info: The 2023-2024 Prospects Thread Pt. 3

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't think that the problem lies with Bains' decision-making abilities. I think he is already smart enough for the NHL. The problem is that he doesn't have enough NHL-level skills. Acceleration, agility, balance, deceptiveness of puckhandling, shot velocity, strength... none of these are good enough. Unless he has an immediately viable passing opportunity he's a sitting duck when NHL players close in on him, which they can do quite easily.

Pace and strength are the two biggest factors for him. Pace usually comes with understanding and reps. Ideally he builds up strength and conditioning in the off-season.

Reactions: tradervik

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't think that the problem lies with Bains' decision-making abilities. I think he is already smart enough for the NHL. The problem is that he doesn't have enough NHL-level skills. Acceleration, agility, balance, deceptiveness of puckhandling, shot velocity, strength... none of these are good enough. Unless he has an immediately viable passing opportunity he's a sitting duck when NHL players close in on him, which they can do quite easily.

This is how he looked relative to the AHL last year, and then he came back stronger this year and is now an elite player in that league.

He's a guy who has just kept improving year after year like this and I wouldn't be betting against him making the same improvements and adjustments this upcoming summer.

Per the bolded, he's an extremely elusive puckhandler which is one of his biggest strengths.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
This is how he looked relative to the AHL last year, and then he came back stronger this year and is now an elite player in that league.

He's a guy who has just kept improving year after year like this and I wouldn't be betting against him making the same improvements and adjustments this upcoming summer.

Per the bolded, he's an extremely elusive puckhandler which is one of his biggest strengths.
He's not a deceptive puckhandler which is part of why he rarely beats AHL defencemen on the rush. He handles the puck reliably and receives passes well, but he isn't a dangler with quick hands.

He progressed significantly throughout his first AHL season; not nearly so much during this season. He's got a reasonable chance to become a capable fourth-liner; more than that would be bucking the odds.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Agreed. If Bains doesn't make it, it won't because he isn't determined enough or doesn't work hard enough.

Apparently he's rink rat they have to chase off the ice surface after every practice. He's basically willed himself into winning a scoring title in WHL and to becoming an AHL all-star. Now he's trying to get to the top of mountain.

And like Alex Burrows before him--who simply didn't know the meaning of word 'quit'.....I have a feeling Bains will eventually get to the promised land.
Just wanted to clarify that Bains was the MVP for the all star game.

He is 36th in league scoring and most likely wouldn't be on any AHL post season all star team.

The Burrows comp is apt but Burrows was also the exception and a much better skater, can lightning strike twice?

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Just wanted to clarify that Bains was the MVP for the all star game.

He is 36th in league scoring and most likely wouldn't be on any AHL post season all star team.

The Burrows comp is apt but Burrows was also the exception and a much better skater, can lightning strike twice?
burrows was playing in the ECHL at the same age Bains is now and at that time he was NOT a good skater. his 23/24 year old season (next year for Bains) he had 26 points in 72 AHL games. it was his 24/25yo season that he played half the year in the AHL and the other half in the NHL (where he looked "OK"). 25/26yo season he was trash and they told him in the exit interview if he didn't spend the summer getting bigger and stronger he was done as an NHLer. he put on weight and got stronger that summer and had a decent year as a 26/7yo. in his break out season he was 27/28.....which is kind of unheard of.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He's close and has plenty of runway. Wouldn't be trying to cap his potential that seems really unnecessary at this stage. If he can be a 4th liner than he can be a top 6 because he has the talent and smarts to make plays. Of course the odds are stacked against him. That's nothing new

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
burrows was playing in the ECHL at the same age Bains is now and at that time he was NOT a good skater. his 23/24 year old season (next year for Bains) he had 26 points in 72 AHL games. it was his 24/25yo season that he played half the year in the AHL and the other half in the NHL (where he looked "OK"). 25/26yo season he was trash and they told him in the exit interview if he didn't spend the summer getting bigger and stronger he was done as an NHLer. he put on weight and got stronger that summer and had a decent year as a 26/7yo. in his break out season he was 27/28.....which is kind of unheard of.
If I recall correctly, Burrows was a regular on the team in '06-'07 and couldn't buy a goal for over half a season. Lots of chances generated but was completely snakebitten. In some ways, the kind of play we saw from Bains. Personally, I see an NHL caliber player there but it won't be overnight and we will need to show some patience.

Reactions: Chiripa20

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
He's not a deceptive puckhandler which is part of why he rarely beats AHL defencemen on the rush. He handles the puck reliably and receives passes well, but he isn't a dangler with quick hands.

He progressed significantly throughout his first AHL season; not nearly so much during this season. He's got a reasonable chance to become a capable fourth-liner; more than that would be bucking the odds.
I think your definitions are different

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Like most prospects and young NHL players, it’s a matter of how much more can they improve before they hit their peak and plateau as players.
Bains has shown a remarkable upward trajectory for several years now but how much longer can he keep that going? Nobody really knows, but several of his shortcomings (strength, shot velocity, acceleration) are ones that could be improved on if there’s room for more physical growth. Only time will tell.

Sorry about the unintentional italics

Reactions: Chiripa20

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's interesting that the Canucks signed Kiril Kudryavtsev almost right after they drafted him out of the OHL's Soo Greyhounds in the seventh round of the 2022 draft.

But after drafting Hunter Brzustewicz in the third round last year, they never did sign him and eventually traded him to the Flames.

I realize that with just five goals and 45 points, Kudryavtsev is scoring at half the rate of Brzustewicz. But of course he's not playing on near as good a team as the Kitchener Rangers.

I'd be interested in hearing from some OHL-watchers out there. Who's the better blueline prospect--Kudryavtsev or Brzustewicz? One thing is for sure, It'll be a challenge to squeeze their names on the back of a hockey jersey.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
It's interesting that the Canucks signed Kiril Kudryavtsev almost right after they drafted him out of the OHL's Soo Greyhounds in the seventh round of the 2022 draft.

But after drafting Hunter Brzustewicz in the third round last year, they never did sign him and eventually traded him to the Flames.

I realize that with just five goals and 45 points, Kudryavtsev is scoring at half the rate of Brzustewicz. But of course he's not playing on near as good a team as the Kitchener Rangers.

I'd be interested in hearing from some OHL-watchers out there. Who's the better blueline prospect--Kudryavtsev or Brzustewicz? One thing is for sure, It'll be a challenge to squeeze their names on the back of a hockey jersey.
As I understand it, they offered a contract to Brz and he didn't sign. There was also some weirdness with his interview with Calgary press after he was dealt, about how he always thought it would be cool to be part of a trade. It looks like perhaps he saw Jack Rathbone's experience as a cautionary tale and was looking for a team without a Quinn Hughes level player taking up all of the offensive opportunities.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I'm not totally sold on Brz but he's very obviously a much, much better prospect than Kudryatsev.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
With no draft picks until the 3rd round , we need to sign one of the top two free agents in NCAA between Collin Graf or Jacob Quillan. Either one of them would help this team and would help offset the loss of picks to win now and to dump Dickinson’s contract .

Go get it done Allvin

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
The only way I will believe in Alriksson is if he scores 60-70 points next season then I won’t consider him a bust

The only way I will believe in Alriksson is if he scores 60-70

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure what to make of Alriksson......he's a huge guy who clearly has a decent set of wheels. And as a big body, who's still only 18, there's a good chance that over the next two or three seasons, he might even improve in the skating department.

But I suppose the lack of production in the OHL is a little troubling. Would be interested in the opinions of people who follow the OHL a lot more closely than I do.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! A possibility for both D-Petey and Lekerimakki in Abbotsford by the third week in March. They'll be busting down the box office doors at the Abby Entertainment Center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad