Prospect Info: The 2023-2024 Prospects Thread Pt. 3

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
According to Dhaliwal, Jacob Truscott will not sign and is going to free agency.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Really not a big deal to me. That level of college prospects usually choose the easiest path to an NHL blueline, and it’s nice not being the team with a thin blueline and prospect pool that is attractive to these college free agents. EP2 is a better prospect as well, and we have a few other LHD prospect going to Abbotsford in the next couple years.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Kid likely wants to play in the NHL quickly and doesn't see that path in Van.

So makes sense.
I doubt he walks right into an nhl lineup in the fall. Most mid round picks do not.

So between nhl depth plus the development track record of heir AHL team, those should be the main considerations for a ncaa free agent.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kid likely wants to play in the NHL quickly and doesn't see that path in Van.

So makes sense.
The issue is, he's an older prospect having spent the full four years in the NCAA.....and he's been passed on the depth chart by other prospects who are younger, and frankly better.

So if he did sign, he'd be stuck in Abbotsford behind a bunch of guys with no clear path to the NHL. Remains to be seen if Truscott has any NHL upside, or whether he tops out as an AHL player.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's interesting how this isn't generating a lot of angst around here. Funny what winning and an improving prospect pool can do...
Not much you can do. Guys who stayed a while in college for the Canucks include Lockwood and McDonaugh.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'd push Mynio and Bains into Tier 3.
Only 4 of the frist 5 really interest me as Raty seems like a guy who might get a cup of coffee but that's it.

Mynio is also the only guy lower that might make progress, everyone else seems too old or not impactful enough to make any impact but I hope I'm wrong.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I am not giving up on Raty , he projects as a 3rd line Center in the NHL and I don’t expect anything else . He needs at least one more full season and Abby , the improvement is there , but definitely needs more seasoning and let’s not forget he literally just turned 21 a few months ago so there is still time for him to develop.

Let’s not call him a bust yet , he is right where I am expecting him to be this season.

Last season everyone was calling Lekkerimacki a bust and I said I’m not going to judge him until his age 19 season and now here we are and look at Lekkerimacki.

Next season if Raty’s numbers are similar to these numbers then it’s time to get concerned

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Rule needs to changed. Think it works against Canadian teams as most college players remain American and Canadian taxes higher.

Truscott is looking at a lot more development time no matter where he goes IMO.
This seems like an odd take given how many of these players the Canucks have signed from other teams in recent years.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
This seems like an odd take given how many of these players the Canucks have signed from other teams in recent years.
Like who? Maybe I'm missing someone but I can't recall any upper level NCAA free agent, drafted by another team, that we have signed.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Looking like your recent post about the barren wasteland of 2020 and 2021 drafts is going to come true.

Tracking towards 0 NHL GP across both.
Yep, and that barren wasteland is why it was crucial going into this season that Podkolzin and Highlander establish themselves. Otherwise there would be one big, massive gap in the pipeline all the way between Quinn Hughes and Jonathan Lekkerimaki.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Truscott is an East Coast kid, so he probably wants to start his career playing closer to family and friends. You can't really blame him.

In all probability he'll need at least a couple of years in the AHL before he earns a callup. And playing in a place like Utica, Rochester, Providence or Hartford is a lot more appealing than playing in Abbotsford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad