The 2022 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Arizona scouts were in the building today for Nitra and Slovan Bratislava to watch, primarily Simon nemec. However, also on display was Adam Sykora, a 2 way winger who played on the line at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup which silenced Joakim Kemell in the semi finals.
That Nemec is some kind of skater. And I always love Slovak prospects. Love to see the scrappy upstart Slovaks have success.

Reactions: Antiillafire

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
That Nemec is some kind of skater. And I always love Slovak prospects. Love to see the scrappy upstart Slovaks have success.

I'm secretly hoping he doesn't have a great WJC and becomes a faller. Has Hesikanen clone written all over him. Defensemen seem to get drafted more by individual GM/scout preference much more so than forwards, who are more aligned to the consensus. The 5th ranked guy could be the first off the board, and the top ranked defenseman could be the 5th off the board.

I've started coming around to Cooley a bit too. I'm preparing myself for him potentially having his stock skyrocket and him being our guy if we pick 3-5. I like his shot quite a bit. He seems to be a more gifted McMichael, or a smaller Batherson. I still like Savoie much more, just getting more invested into Cooley just in case.

Reactions: DOTS13

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Who are you guys feeling right now as 2nd round targets you like?

Haven’t seen too many guys in that range, been mostly zoning in on first round names. But some that have stood out are Sam Savoie, Luca DelBelBelluz, Danny Zhilkin. Granted this is all from watching about 1% of one league haha.

Whoever it is that they select, I am hoping they target:
- A guy that was high pre-season but fell this year (Maybe Lambert if he keeps plummeting).
- A late-blooming, younger birth year player who has all of the fundamentals but is just late at finding that big jump (Hunter Haight fits this mold).
- A goaltender.
- And a high-risk high-reward guy (probably someone who was rarely seen from overseas).

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Oh man, whichever team ends up getting Wright...

A four-point performance tonight and left at least another 3 out there (posts, saves, other players missing). Any chatter about him just coasting and not performing should be pretty quiet at this point. Every time he touches the ice, the puck is in the O-zone with a grade-A scoring chance. Every single time.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Don’t sweat the lottery boys!!!

That Yzerman effect. It is strange that both of those picks have not shown their potential for even periods at a time, only flashes. Kakko was an extremely late bloomer in a weaker class. He also was thrown onto the team after his draft year, instead of playing for their AHL team. I always thought that was the wrong move. Alexis is more surprising though. Could it be that because they have Panarin and Zeb he just doesn't get the minutes and offensive starts he needs? I do think Wright is in another league than these two, maybe even Kemell, but so far I have a ton of faith in our scouting team.

Reactions: DOTS13

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's kind of funny when many, myself included, think Wright has had a slow start when in reality it's just 3 games where he doesn't have a point. He's definitely heating up too. At least 1 point in each of his last 5 games (totaling 10 points in 5 games). He's now 8 points back of the OHL scoring lead and most of the guys ahead of him have 2 or 3 more GPs.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
One other thing on Wright that doesn't get near enough attention is how few PIMs he takes. He had 10 in 58 games in his first season. This year he has 4 in 11. For him, I don't think that's a sign of a player who isn't getting involved in battles or dirty areas. Rather for him I think it's a sign of a really smart player. He's not getting dinged for stupid penalties like stick infractions because he's always moving his feet and always in the right spot.

rt

May 13, 2004
It's kind of funny when many, myself included, think Wright has had a slow start when in reality it's just 3 games where he doesn't have a point. He's definitely heating up too. At least 1 point in each of his last 5 games (totaling 10 points in 5 games). He's now 8 points back of the OHL scoring lead and most of the guys ahead of him have 2 or 3 more GPs.
Yeah, and people forget he just plain didn't play last year. Ontario just shut everything down. Guys like Savoie and the Euro guys were able to play in other leagues and bubbles and even just standard league-play.

rt

May 13, 2004
That Yzerman effect. It is strange that both of those picks have not shown their potential for even periods at a time, only flashes. Kakko was an extremely late bloomer in a weaker class. He also was thrown onto the team after his draft year, instead of playing for their AHL team. I always thought that was the wrong move. Alexis is more surprising though. Could it be that because they have Panarin and Zeb he just doesn't get the minutes and offensive starts he needs? I do think Wright is in another league than these two, maybe even Kemell, but so far I have a ton of faith in our scouting team.
That's right! It's all about the scouting, management, and development staff. They seem to have put a really great team in place (on paper) with BA, JFJR, Plandowski, Hepple, Jankowsk, Pellerin and Oliver (among others). Plus just sheer volume of picks. We've got 8 of the first 64 picks in this draft. The odds are with us!!! We didn't hire all of these guys, and acquire all of these pick, just to hang all our hopes on the lottery. We did all this so we would NOT have to hang all our hopes on lotteries.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
That's right! It's all about the scouting, management, and development staff. They seem to have put a really great team in place (on paper) with BA, JFJR, Plandowski, Hepple, Jankowsk, Pellerin and Oliver (among others). Plus just sheer volume of picks. We've got 8 of the first 64 picks in this draft. The odds are with us!!! We didn't hire all of these guys, and acquire all of these pick, just to hang all our hopes on the lottery. We did all this so we would NOT have to hang all our hopes on lotteries.

Yep absolutely. I'd love to hear what NYR fans think of Kakko and Lafrenière and why neither have lived up to expectations. I don't think either were the wrong pick at their positions, especially Lafrenière. Looking back at that draft I'm not even convinced Kakko over Dach, Byram or Turcotte would haven been my preference, especially for NYR who didn't have high upside young centers. The late risers always make me a little nervous, especially if they are wingers. Kemell, although looks like he is on another level than Kakko, still worries me a bit.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Kemell's rise is meteoric.. but not sure that anyone has really claimed that #2 slot, he's just the current incumbent and he has flaws. I'm thinking I want more ability from a #2 pick to really get into the game. Much like Turris wasn't a bad player but not what you want out of a #3 slot.

Reactions: Grimes

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Kemell's rise is meteoric.. but not sure that anyone has really claimed that #2 slot, he's just the current incumbent and he has flaws. I'm thinking I want more ability from a #2 pick to really get into the game. Much like Turris wasn't a bad player but not what you want out of a #3 slot.

The good news is that the warts Kemell has aren't skating, shooting and compete level. Don't care if they carry warts if they check the box on all 3 of the primary boxes. But we are winning 1st overall.

Reactions: Gwyddbwyll

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Agreed and if I remember correctly Kakko really blew up right before and during WJC. That 2019 draft was a weird one. Hughes was underwhelming most of the season but was somewhat cemented in 1OA. All the other top picks we're all over the map, no clear leaders. Then Kakko comes out of nowhere and is pushing for 1OA.

I feel the top ten will be pretty similar to 2019 outside of the first two spots. I don't think there will be a clear top 5 like 2015, 2016, or 2017. Looking back, 2019 was a very deep draft too and kind of gives you an idea of the quality we will be getting with our three 1sts

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Yep absolutely. I'd love to hear what NYR fans think of Kakko and Lafrenière and why neither have lived up to expectations. I don't think either were the wrong pick at their positions, especially Lafrenière. Looking back at that draft I'm not even convinced Kakko over Dach, Byram or Turcotte would haven been my preference, especially for NYR who didn't have high upside young centers. The late risers always make me a little nervous, especially if they are wingers. Kemell, although looks like he is on another level than Kakko, still worries me a bit.
That's kinda where I'm at too. I like fallers more than risers, like Chych who I had top 5 but got picked at 16.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Nemec has certainly been surpassed by Jiricek on everyone’s list of Dmen, but what I’ve seen he still looks like he’s got top pair potential. He feels like miro heiskanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad