The 2022 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Man that Miroshnichenko has some incredible accuracy in his shot! ( unless he is very lucky ) he is picking spots close in that is incredible... He is doing Datsyuk moves on the breakaway as well

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
So out of the last few drafts , how would you rate the 1st over all picks and where would you place Wright ? Really could remove Matthews as he is a level above the rest

Austin M
Jack H
Alexis L
Rasmus D
Owen P
Nicole H

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So out of the last few drafts , how would you rate the 1st over all picks and where would you place Wright ? Really could remove Matthews as he is a level above the rest

Austin M
Jack H
Alexis L
Rasmus D
Owen P
Nicole H
Matthews is way out in front. Dahlin has had his issues but is probably number two for me. I think I’d rate Hughes 3rd for offensive upside. Lafreniere and Power are next, with Hischier in last place. I like Hischier. He’s a really complete player. And he has his own upside. But I think his ceiling is a bit lower than Lafreniere and Power.

Shane Wright would be 2nd on that list for me. Matthews is in a league of his own, here. For me, Wright’s ceiling isn’t any lower than the rest of the pack, though. I think his floor is way higher than any of them, however. Just no red flags or warts. There were things to pick apart with Lafreniere, Hughes, Hischier, etc. not so with Wright, IMO.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

Austin M
Jack H
Alexis L
Rasmus D
Owen P
Nicole H
Hmm.. Probably:

1. Matthew
2. Wright
3 Hischeir
3. Powers
4. Dahlin
4. Lafreniere

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Another reason why we are luckier than the bad teams of the past couple years because for two drafts in a row there is top end, franchise level talent at the 1OA (2023 potentially has three). I'd argue since 2016 we've only had guys who will be a top pair/line player with all star potential. Kemell and Savoie would be probably be tied for 5th or 6th on that list with Nico below them and about even with Powers.

NJ, Ottawa and Detroit didn't have a chance to draft a player with the same quality we will in the top spot these next two drafts. Maybe not even the top 2-3.

Now it seems like better players were taken after the 1OA in 2017-2020. Q. Hughes, E Pettersson, Raymond, Seider for example. But those guys still don't have the same ceiling as Wright, let alone Bedard/Michkov

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeah, that's an interesting question. How would you rank Kemmel, Savoie, Lafreniere, and Hischier? I think Kemmel and Savoie would probably be my top two. But that's using some hindsight and some wishful thinking. Still, it's probably close, even if you try to block all that out.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
NJ, Ottawa and Detroit didn't have a chance to draft a player with the same quality we will in the top spot these next two drafts. Maybe not even the top 2-3.

That's why I think BA didn't start the teardown right away. Waiting for these next two drafts may have been strategic. Never understood the criticism of not blowing up the team a season sooner. These are 2 great drafts to be really bad.

Edit: And to have a lot of ammo

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Yeah, that's an interesting question. How would you rank Kemmel, Savoie, Lafreniere, and Hischier? I think Kemmel and Savoie would probably be my top two. But that's using some hindsight and some wishful thinking. Still, it's probably close, even if you try to block all that out.

I have Savoie and Kemell clearly ahead of Nico. I think Savoie has a Nico floor, with a Giroux ceiling. I'd have Lafreniere above all three his draft year as he looked like he looked like an elite winger. A special player few teams have, but that level has not been on display for more than shifts in games. I really don't understand why this player hasn't converted better. With hindsight I have Kemell and Savoie ahead of him.

rt

May 13, 2004
I have Savoie and Kemell clearly ahead of Nico. I think Savoie has a Nico floor, with a Giroux ceiling. I'd have Lafreniere above all three his draft year as he looked like he looked like an elite winger. A special player few teams have, but that level has not been on display for more than shifts in games. I really don't understand why this player hasn't converted better. With hindsight I have Kemell and Savoie ahead of him.
Lafreniere was old, big, strong and played a pro-ready game in his draft year. His lack immediate success baffles me.

I mean his per 82 pace so far (hasn’t played 82 yet) is 18g 12a 30pts. I guess if I was told in his first 82gp he scored just 5g and 5a more than that for 23g 17a 40pts, I’d have thought that’s about right for him.

So he’s not that far off, I guess. And the Rangers have had some turmoil with ownership, management, coaching, and leadership. Plus the covid stuff may have hurt his development a bit.

Honestly, I think a slightly better Chris Kreider is maybe a good comp for him. Kreider’s per 82 on his career is 26g 24a 50pts. If you told me Lafreniere would end up being a +5g +5a Kreider, I’d still have taken that player 1st overall. And I do think a 31g 29a 60pts Lafreniere is definitely somewhat realistic.

rt

May 13, 2004
Bo Horvat’s per 82 is 23g 29a 52pts. John Tavares is 35g 43a 78pts. If Shane Wright is smack dab in the middle of these two players (I really think his game is basically a hybrid of these two in my mind) that makes him about 29g 36a 65pts type of center. I think that comes with being potentially one of the league’s top captains and potentially Selke nominations on top of that. I think that’s a pretty realistic expectation for Wright, honestly.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Bo Horvat’s per 82 is 23g 29a 52pts. John Tavares is 35g 43a 78pts. If Shane Wright is smack dab in the middle of these two players (I really think his game is basically a hybrid of these two in my mind) that makes him about 29g 36a 65pts type of center. I think that comes with being potentially one of the league’s top captains and potentially Selke nominations on top of that. I think that’s a pretty realistic expectation for Wright, honestly.

Agreed, and he will have some seasons where he hits 30g+ and 70p+. I think his overall production will be a little dependent on his wingers. So if he is playing with wingers that are putting up 70+ then he will too, if he is playing with guys like Keller then both with be more in the 60's.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I just hope that whoever the Coyotes select in the top 5 is the actual best player of the top 5. That is what we need, that is where this Organization needs some luck. Detroit gets Seider & Lucas Raymond and that is the type of drafting we need over the course of last year and the upcoming 2 draft years. We need "impact" players.

Reactions: Grimes

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
We should just spend every pick on USNDT players every year. It feels like 3/4 of that team every year turn out to be good NHL players

rt

May 13, 2004
We should just spend every pick on USNDT players every year. It feels like 3/4 of that team every year turn out to be good NHL players
Cooley is likely a top ten pick this year. McGroarty, Chesley, Howard, Nazar, Casey, and Gauthier are all potential 1st rounders, too. Could easily be as many as 7/32 1st rounders from the USNTDP this year. That’s better than 1/5 1st round picks - LOL.

Keep an eye on Gauthier with our final 1st. He’s a local boy from Scottsdale and he’s a big power forward in the Bill Armstrong mould.

Reactions: DOTS13

rt

May 13, 2004
I just hope that whoever the Coyotes select in the top 5 is the actual best player of the top 5. That is what we need, that is where this Organization needs some luck. Detroit gets Seider & Lucas Raymond and that is the type of drafting we need over the course of last year and the upcoming 2 draft years. We need "impact" players.
I don’t think there’s much of a chance we pick outside of the top three. I don’t think any team is a legitimate challenger for 32nd place. And there are only two lotteries now. So assuming we don’t win either lottery, we’ll pick 3rd.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert

What's tricky about this is the patience part of it. Seider seemed to be a reach at the time, but has evolved into the obvious pick. I would like to trust our new scouting department as well, but we will have to be cautious as fans about them taking the obvious pick vs. the reach and see how it plays out over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad