The 2022 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Y’all know where this season is headed.

Shane Wright projects as a franchise centre.

I’ve seen him a ton but not quite sure who is a good comparable. Im inclined to say Sidney Crosby but he’s not on that same generational tier if that makes sense.

Reactions: ck26

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Y’all know where this season is headed.

Shane Wright projects as a franchise centre.

I’ve seen him a ton but not quite sure who is a good comparable. Im inclined to say Sidney Crosby but he’s not on that same generational tier if that makes sense.
Button says Wright is Patrice Bergeron.

Reactions: hbk

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm not even focusing on the top guys right now. I'm getting to know everyone in the back half of the first round, where Colorado's pick will be, and the second round.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I’m not gonna get my hopes up for 1st or 2nd overall. I’m hoping for Savoie. He’s going to be a little brick of a center (think 5’10 200lbs) but has unbelievable skill. And has been playing on teams with Guenther since they were like 12. Lol.
I’d love it if this came true. I’d also be a full-fledged Coyotes fan instead of just occasionally lurking this board and tuning in when I can. :D

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Figured I'd look this up. Not sure if it can be changed again before the '22 draft specifically to f*** us:
NHL board of governors approves draft lottery rules aimed at helping last-place teams (espn.com)

"The biggest change to the current system is that the lottery will determine only the first two picks in the draft, rather than having three different lotteries for the first three picks. It will be implemented starting with the 2021 NHL draft."

"Another change to the draft lottery is that teams can move up a maximum of 10 spots by winning one of the two lotteries. Hence, only 11 of the 16 teams that miss the playoffs will be eligible for the first overall pick."

"Finally, the NHL ruled that a franchise can win the lottery no more than twice in a five-year span. That isn't exclusive to the first overall pick: It means a team can't advance by reason of lottery win more than twice in a five-year span.
The Edmonton Oilers and New Jersey Devils have been the poster franchises for this rule tweak, having each won the lottery three times since 2010."

"I don't believe there's tanking in the game. I think our players and our organizations, our coaches are too professional. But there's always speculation," Bettman said recently.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
So Sabres can't pick top 2 no matter how bad they suck or how lucky their balls are.
"The limitation on benefiting from draft lottery "wins" will be forward-looking only and will not be retroactive. Therefore, no team will be able to move up through a lottery win any more than two times during the period of 2022 through 2026."

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
So Sabres can't pick top 2 no matter how bad they suck or how lucky their balls are.
Idk if it was specified but does the rule about the 2 lottery win in 5 years encompass past wins or does it start when the changes are made?

I'd hope it takes into account the past wins (less competition for those 2 picks) but I'd also not be surprised if it didn't cause the Yotes get screwed a lot.

EDIT: REMO beat me to it lol nvm! So Yotes don't catch a break what a shocker haha.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
"The limitation on benefiting from draft lottery "wins" will be forward-looking only and will not be retroactive. Therefore, no team will be able to move up through a lottery win any more than two times during the period of 2022 through 2026."
Damnit

Reactions: RemoAZ

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If that rule had been in place (as was called for loudly) Edmonton would NOT have drafted McDavid. :ha:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Thinking about tanking, and how bad our roster is. I started thinking maybe we'll have one of the 10 worst records of the last 20 years in the NHL. I started thinking what teams who did that poorly got out of being so bad. So I looked it up. Below are the 10 worst teams of the last two decades, and the draft picks they got out of the bargain:

1. 19-20 DET .275P% - 4OA - Lucas Raymond
2. 16-17 COL .293P% - 4OA - Cale Makar
3. 13-14 BUF .317P% - 2OA - Sam Reinhart
4. 14-15 BUF .329P% - 2OA - Jack Eichel
5. 01-02 ATL .329P% - 2OA - Kari Lehtonen
6. 20-21 BUF .330P% - 1OA - Owen Power
7. 06-07 PHI .341P% - 2OA - James van Riemsdyk
8. 14-15 ARI .341P% - 3OA - Dylan Strome
9. 05-06 STL .348P% - 1OA - Erik Johnson
10.01-02 CBJ .348P% - 1OA - Rick Nash

I have to tell you guys, I was hoping it would be more comforting than that. None of these players have been responsible (so far) for turning around their franchises (yet).

Raymond and Power are too recent to evaluate. But the rest of the list can be assessed.

Makar is amazing. Top 5-10 D. Very good pick, far.
Eichel is a star player but it's been a disaster.
Rick Nash never made the playoffs in Columbus.
Reinhart is at least a 1st line player.
JvR has been a 1st line player at times.
Erik Johnson has been serviceable but forgettable.
Dylan Strome has been wildly disappointing.
Kari Lehtonen never really helped any team much.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
You can't discount how many lotto winning teams had a down year due to injuries or were almost a playoff contender and their top three pick pushed them over the edge though. The amount of overagers we drafted or prospect that are 2-3 years past their draft year was really saavy by our management team. I think the hope will be that we will have an influx of cheap you g guys who were drafted in the past five years to help supplement the 50m in cap space we have. We didn't draft and pick up a bunch of guys who are 3+ years out. We have a prospect pool that now has 4-5 guys who could make the roster this year if we wanted to give them spots. I think (hope) we are doing it right this time. I hope we can replicate what NYR is doing rather than EDM/Buffalo did. I think our model will be tons of top young talent in premium positions, supplemented by drafting in the top 5 the next two seasons. Then start adding big name UFAs the bridge the gap. Buffalo got their top pick in Eichel then overspent on Skinner after one good year of them together. Toronto started turning the corner with Marner and Matthews then overspent to bring in Taveres. I like how NYR brought in some big ticket guys as their kids started hitting the roster. It allows the kids to develop better, and shaves off a year or two of the expensive UFA contract before it all starts to click.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad