The 2022 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Verreault is listed at 5'8", which probably means he's only 5'6"
He seems physically bigger to my eye than a lot of the little guys slated to be late 1st rounders. I’ve checked out games from guys like Haight, Fimis, and Vidicek and they seem “smaller” to me. Maybe it’s their posture, their frame, or the way they play. Not sure. I could just be dead wrong.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Closest I’ve seen to games from him was shift by shift videos. I didn’t see much floating. If he was in the MHL I could get some games. But I don’t know how to get KHL games. Plus he plays like 4mins per night in the KHL anyway. Lol.

But from the little I’ve seen, he does seem to go inside. Do you mean more in the defensive zone? Like cheating and cherry picking?

Yes, he doesn't compete in his own end...he just sorta floats around

rt

May 13, 2004
Yes, he doesn't compete in his own end...he just sorta floats around
Gotcha. If I see too much of that in the offensive zone, kid goes straight to DND. I can live with a fair amount of that in the D zone, if we’re talking a 17 year old who’s leading his team in scoring. I think some junior coaches kinda look the other way on that, too.

Do you have that link to the YT channel that used to have tons of archived MHL games? It’s time for me to start checking out some of these guys. If not, I’ll try to find it and post the link if I do.

I really want to check out Gleb Trikozov, too.

EDIT: forgot we were talking Yurov. Got confused and thought we were taking Perevalov

rt

May 13, 2004
Big fan of Verreault
How do you feel about Sam Savoie? I love this kid’s game. Wondering if maybe he’s a good target with one of our 2nds. He’s a little buried in Gatineau but he was a really high draft pick, so I think there’s more skill and production than we’re swing right now. Could be an extremely poor man’s Brad Marchand. He’s such a nasty little pest.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Gotcha. If I see too much of that in the offensive zone, kid goes straight to DND. I can live with a fair amount of that in the D zone, if we’re talking a 17 year old who’s leading his team in scoring. I think some junior coaches kinda look the other way on that, too.

Do you have that link to the YT channel that used to have tons of archived MHL games? It’s time for me to start checking out some of these guys. If not, I’ll try to find it and post the link if I do.

I really want to check out Gleb Trikozov, too.

EDIT: forgot we were talking Yurov. Got confused and thought we were taking Perevalov

I really, really like Perevalov, I'm sure he'll be top 10 by the time the year is done...love the way he plays.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Verreault is listed at 5'8", which probably means he's only 5'6"
I always questioned Max Domi being listed at 5'10" That would be 6' tall on skates. Hmmm
I've seen him in person and he doesn't even look close to 5'10" but apparently those numbers listed have to be accurate.

rt

May 13, 2004
I always questioned Max Domi being listed at 5'10" That would be 6' tall on skates. Hmmm
I've seen him in person and he doesn't even look close to 5'10" but apparently those numbers listed have to be accurate.
Are they doing a combine this year? That used to be the only way to get accurate numbers. And I know the numbers listed aren’t accurate otherwise. Because kids would sometimes be 2.5” shorter and 19lbs lighter than listed by their QMJHL team haha.

I feel like after two years of COVID, we’re probably seeing the most erroneous measurements of any draft class since the 1990s.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I really, really like Perevalov, I'm sure he'll be top 10 by the time the year is done...love the way he plays.
Hmmm. Sounds like a guy that would fit in well with Prosvetov and Provolnev in Tuscon. Is that really the kind of player you want to use a top 10 pick on?

Joking aside, what is it about him that you like?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Hmmm. Sounds like a guy that would fit in well with Prosvetov and Provolnev in Tuscon. Is that really the kind of player you want to use a top 10 pick on?

Joking aside, what is it about him that you like?

Kid plays like Podkolzin, but with better goal scoring.

rt

May 13, 2004
Impressive that Wright is not only on the 1st unit PK but also is the top option when killing a 5 on 3. He’s really such a good defensive center.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Impressive that Wright is not only on the 1st unit PK but also is the top option when killing a 5 on 3. He’s really such a good defensive center.

He is really good at using his body and stick to close out shots or passing lanes. And whenever there is a loose puck battle, he does not lose it.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Oh man! Kingston down 2 with less than a min. Wright buries one (second of night). And then has an open look in the slot but passed it off instead... Hopefully he will have Guenther to his left this time next year.

If everything goes Wright.

rt

May 13, 2004
He is really good at using his body and stick to close out shots or passing lanes. And whenever there is a loose puck battle, he does not lose it.
I was talking with @Grimes the other day. Saying he really reminds me of a Bo Horvat/John Tavares hybrid.

He's not speedy like MacKinnon or Stamkos. He's not slow, but he's not a burner. He's really thick, and has that really wide stance. A lot like Tavares. And Horvat.

I don't think his ceiling is anything higher than Tavares. And I don't think his floor is anything lower than Horvat. I think the most likely outcome is that he ends up at the exact mid-point between those two. And the nice thing is that I think he's gonna get there VERY fast.

If Horvat is like a 25-35-60 guy (in my head) And if Tavares is a 35-45-80 guy (pretty much). I guess that means I'm kinda projecting Wright to be a 30-40-70 guy regularly? Maybe? But basically perfect defensively and a top notch leader and captain.

His demeanor is so much like Jakob Chychrun, to me. I remember being blown away by the way Chychrun carried himself at 17. Same thing for Wright. Everyone says he has that same dedication and character like Chychrun has, too. I love the idea of these two being the faces of the franchise.

What John Chayka fantasized in his wildest dreams Barrett Hayton would be, is what Shame Wright actually is IMO.

I really love Brayden Yager for next draft. Maybe as a Yotes pick at like 5th or 6th overall. I view Yager as a lot like Shane Wright but not quite as good. Very similar qualities.

Hayton is kinda the same way. Smart, solid, strong, two-way C that has a good shot. But he's sort of the lesser Yager, I think.

I kinda think Hayton could be a lesser Yager and Yager could be a lesser Wright.

Imagining Wright-Yager-Hayton for the next decade plus. That’s a heckuva team identity.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Yes. His strength is definitely a top asset. He uses it to his advantage all over the ice and wins 1v1 and even 1v2 battles because of it.

His speed certainly won’t win him any titles, but he’s no slug either. I think he’s also much faster with the puck than without. I also think this is because he’s pacing his next move based on the speed of play around him. He will keep up no problem at next level.

And his wrist shot is elite. He needs minimal space and it comes off so fast. Can put it anywhere, from anywhere, too.

Would like to see some more flashy creativity, but that’s not his MO. He makes the right play all the time. Not the flashiest. That’s just me wishing he was McDavid.

I’m not great with player comparisons, but whatever player(s) are very smart, very strong, very good shot, with above average speed. That is him. #1 is definitely his to lose. No other player in the draft does everything he does, as well as he does.

Haven’t seen much of ‘23 prospects. Other than the residual Bedard or Musty sighting. But I’m really hoping we end up moving one of our second picks into top-10 to get one of Nemec or Jiricik. In addition to a top 3 pick. (Obviously hoping for top 1, but hate getting my hopes up.)

Reactions: Grimes

rt

May 13, 2004
Yes. His strength is definitely a top asset. He uses it to his advantage all over the ice and wins 1v1 and even 1v2 battles because of it.

His speed certainly won’t win him any titles, but he’s no slug either. I think he’s also much faster with the puck than without. I also think this is because he’s pacing his next move based on the speed of play around him. He will keep up no problem at next level.

And his wrist shot is elite. He needs minimal space and it comes off so fast. Can put it anywhere, from anywhere, too.

Would like to see some more flashy creativity, but that’s not his MO. He makes the right play all the time. Not the flashiest. That’s just me wishing he was McDavid.

I’m not great with player comparisons, but whatever player(s) are very smart, very strong, very good shot, with above average speed. That is him. #1 is definitely his to lose. No other player in the draft does everything he does, as well as he does.

Haven’t seen much of ‘23 prospects. Other than the residual Bedard or Musty sighting. But I’m really hoping we end up moving one of our second picks into top-10 to get one of Nemec or Jiricik. In addition to a top 3 pick. (Obviously hoping for top 1, but hate getting my hopes up.)
I’m excited to get a look at Jiricek and Nemec. But I do really like Mateychuk. I’d be pretty thrilled to just take Mateychuk with our second 1st.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Players like Wright really give GM's and coaches a ton of flexibility with roster creation and lineups. Look at Duclair playing with Barkov, or Pasta and Bergeron. Players with massive offensive upside but questionable all around games won't be as risky if you have someone like Wright who they could play with.

Players like Kopitar, Tavares, Bergeron and Toews seem to help with re-tools because of this. These types of players just help a team be great for long stretches and allow down seasons to be minimal. I don't think Schiefle, Giroux, or even an Elias Pettersson have this same impact on the entire roster even if they are true 1C's and producer more offensively.

rt

May 13, 2004
I’m such a dope. I’ve been watching a bunch of North Bay games to scout Ty Nelson (who’s awesome-love this little Tasmanian Devil) and had no idea until last night that Liam Arnsby is 17 years old. I honestly assumed he was 20 years old this whole time. He’s team captain, plays tough as nails, and has real skill as an undersized, two-way center. I really thought he was an overager, not a draft eligible. I’ve got a new favorite for one of our 2nd rounders. Him and Sam Savoie from Gatineau and Josh Davies from Swift Current.

Also, I’ve really wanted to NOT like Paul Ludwinski. He just doesn’t not LOOK like an NHL player. And I mean physically. He looks like one of Santa’s elves. Like a gingerbread boy. Like he should have bells on his shoes. It’s the dumbest reason I’ve ever disliked a prospect. I just can’t imagine him in the NHL. But damn. He’s impressive. I can’t not like him. Then I remembered what Andrew Shaw looked like. And Kyle Turris. And these were useful NHL players. I’m gonna stop being a Ludwinski hater. He’s a really fun little player. Lots of skill and he’s a gamer.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
I’m such a dope. I’ve been watching a bunch of North Bay games to scout Ty Nelson (who’s awesome-love this little Tasmanian Devil) and had no idea until last night that Liam Arnsby is 17 years old. I honestly assumed he was 20 years old this whole time. He’s team captain, plays tough as nails, and has real skill as an undersized, two-way center. I really thought he was an overager, not a draft eligible. I’ve got a new favorite for one of our 2nd rounders. Him and Sam Savoie from Gatineau and Josh Davies from Swift Current.

Also, I’ve really wanted to NOT like Paul Ludwinski. He just doesn’t not LOOK like an NHL player. And I mean physically. He looks like one of Santa’s elves. Like a gingerbread boy. Like he should have bells on his shoes. It’s the dumbest reason I’ve ever disliked a prospect. I just can’t imagine him in the NHL. But damn. He’s impressive. I can’t not like him. Then I remembered what Andrew Shaw looked like. And Kyle Turris. And these were useful NHL players. I’m gonna stop being a Ludwinski hater. He’s a really fun little player. Lots of skill and he’s a gamer.

I have a hard time watching more than one player for a game, but from the two games of Nelson I saw, there was one thing that stuck out more than any. His defensive rush spacing. He was already in his own zone before the opposition even got out of their zone. He will back all the way up to his own goalie before making a play. Within the zone when play is moving, he seemed more aggressive and well positioned, but the off the rush was the main thing I took away. Everything else was above average.

Sam Savoie was awesome. Love his work ethic, physical play, and touch of skill. He knows his role and he plays it well, which I like. Could see him and Josh Doan flanking Hayton on a 2nd / 3rd line. If the options were Verreault at 32 or Savoie at 40, I'd choose the latter.

rt

May 13, 2004
I have a hard time watching more than one player for a game, but from the two games of Nelson I saw, there was one thing that stuck out more than any. His defensive rush spacing. He was already in his own zone before the opposition even got out of their zone. He will back all the way up to his own goalie before making a play. Within the zone when play is moving, he seemed more aggressive and well positioned, but the off the rush was the main thing I took away. Everything else was above average.

Sam Savoie was awesome. Love his work ethic, physical play, and touch of skill. He knows his role and he plays it well, which I like. Could see him and Josh Doan flanking Hayton on a 2nd / 3rd line. If the options were Verreault at 32 or Savoie at 40, I'd choose the latter.
Love Savoie. Looking forward to watching Arnsby with new eyes. I really thought he was 19 or 20. Haha.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What would happen if we got lucky and drafter 1OA, picked Wright and he pulled an Lindros?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad