The 2022 NHL Draft Thread v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If we fall to 3, I really, REALLY want Savoie. Top line C should be the priority out of this, and Savoie checks all those boxes. So what if he doesn't have the ideal size that GMBA wants. He's stocky, strong on his skates and hard to knock off the puck. Not to mention he skates like the wind and thinks the game just as fast. He's the only gamebreaker I see at the top of this draft with the potential to single handedly shift the momentum, take over and win you a game.
I like Savoie a lot too. I like Cooley better. But it’s very close. Your scouting report on Savoie sounds more like Cooley (apart from the Stocky/Strong bit) and that’s a trend I notice a lot. Savoie always strikes me as more of a quick strike, opportunistic player who feasts on the PP and is willing to go inside. The game-breaking, puck-carrying, flying all over the ice thing is Cooley’s department. I don’t see it nearly as much from Savoie.

When I read scouting reports on these two, they don’t line up usually. You’d think Cooley was a boring, cerebral two-way C and Savoie is the high-flying puck carrier that’s all over the ice. And that’s never what I see. Savoie is more like a center version of Garland to me. And Cooley is more like the player Savoie gets described as.

I need to watch more ICE games and more NTDP games. Savoie and Cooley have both been dropping a bit and Geekie is surging a bit. This could be interesting.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Keep your eye on Beau Jelsma. I like him a lot more than Haight or Fimis. He’s an undersized goal scoring winger. Absolutely works his bag off. Less skilled Garland. Actually a lot like Marek Svatos if you remember him. Little buzz saw.

Fun player but I'm not sure if I see BA picking many undersized guys.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'll never question the taking of a NTDP player. The track record that program is insane.
I have to check in on Frank Nazar too. I guess he’s been outplaying Cooley and Gauthier lately if you believe media scouts. I’m skeptical. Those guys are all complete hipsters and Nazar completely fits the profile of a kid they’d have way, way ahead of the NHL scouts. Gauthier is exactly the opposite.

Media scouts hate big, strong, direct, simple, effective players. They love guys that are too small, too fancy, and too focused on individual skill. It’s the same every year. They all have Seamus Casey ahead of Noah Warren and Lane Hutson ahead of Lian Bichsel. I promise no NHL scouts do.

rt

May 13, 2004
Fun player but I'm not sure if I see BA picking many undersized guys.
I agree. And that’s okay with me. As long as we don’t think a 5’11 180lb kid like Seminoff is “undersized”.

I don’t want us to get so hung up on it that Kyle Turris is okay but Sidney Crosby is way too “small” Haha.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I have to check in on Frank Nazar too. I guess he’s been outplaying Cooley and Gauthier lately if you believe media scouts. I’m skeptical. Those guys are all complete hipsters and Nazar completely fits the profile of a kid they’d have way, way ahead of the NHL scouts. Gauthier is exactly the opposite.

Media scouts hate big, strong, direct, simple, effective players. They love guys that are too small, too fancy, and too focused on individual skill. It’s the same every year. They all have Seamus Casey ahead of Noah Warren and Lane Hutson ahead of Lian Bichsel. I promise no NHL scouts do.
Nazar is weird. I keep reading conflicting scouting reports. Some say he's a fantastic skater who plays like a buzz-saw, and some will say he has average skating and can loaf around.

rt

May 13, 2004
Nazar is weird. I keep reading conflicting scouting reports. Some say he's a fantastic skater who plays like a buzz-saw, and some will say he has average skating and can loaf around.
I think the truth is in t he middle, there. And not because he’s inconsistent. I think he’s pretty consistent.

He’ll go inside when the opportunity arises but he’s not a buzz saw by any means. He’s a “plus” skater but it’s not amazing or anything. He reminds me of this years version of Keller. The assertive, brave version of Keller we enjoyed this season. Keller was willing to go inside this season but he’s not exactly a kamikaze like Garland. And he’s a great skater but he’s not blowing everyone away like McDavid or Hall or something.

Reactions: BlazingBlueAnt

rt

May 13, 2004
I can understand people having Nazar over Geekie and Gauthier but I wouldn’t. And I really don’t get it when people call Nazar a center and Gauthier a winger. I think it’s MUCH more likely to be the opposite of that when they’re playing D1 and especially when they turn pro.

But I haven’t watched Winnipeg or the NTDP in a month or more.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I like Savoie a lot too. I like Cooley better. But it’s very close. Your scouting report on Savoie sounds more like Cooley (apart from the Stocky/Strong bit) and that’s a trend I notice a lot. Savoie always strikes me as more of a quick strike, opportunistic player who feasts on the PP and is willing to go inside. The game-breaking, puck-carrying, flying all over the ice thing is Cooley’s department. I don’t see it nearly as much from Savoie.

When I read scouting reports on these two, they don’t line up usually. You’d think Cooley was a boring, cerebral two-way C and Savoie is the high-flying puck carrier that’s all over the ice. And that’s never what I see. Savoie is more like a center version of Garland to me. And Cooley is more like the player Savoie gets described as.

I need to watch more ICE games and more NTDP games. Savoie and Cooley have both been dropping a bit and Geekie is surging a bit. This could be interesting.
Geekies skating looked the best ive seen last night against a horrific Pats team (besides Bedard, Howe, and Selane).

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
There's A LOT of appeal in this kid. I could definitely see Bill picking him at 2/3/4.
Yup. He seems to be rising fast. Could see him go 3rd overall. Maybe 2nd if a team really loves his upside (which could be Charlie McAvoy).

rt

May 13, 2004
There's A LOT of appeal in this kid. I could definitely see Bill picking him at 2/3/4.
Same. He’s mean and skates very well and has offensive upside.

I also think we’ll have Lian Bichsel ranked like 20-40 spots higher than media scouts.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we went Jiricek at 3rd overall, and traded Chychrun to NYI for Raty and 1st that we use to pick Bichsel.

Moser-Jiricek
Bichsel-Soderstrom

Then we can pick Gaucher and LDBB with our other two 1sts. Add those two to Hayton and Raty. And suddenly we’ve got ridiculous center depth. Just need to hit a homerun at center next draft. Like Fantilli or Bedard or even Yager or Dvorsky. Or really any of several top young Cs.

Grab Lindgren and Warren with our 1st two 2nds. Maybe Zhilkin with another.

Moser-Jiricek
Bichsel-Soderstrom
Lindgren-Warren

Then Raty, Hayton, Gaucher, Del Bel Belluz, Zhilkin, McBain and Smith at C. Plus Farinacci and Lipkin, too.

Reactions: Grimes

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Both are a little too wild with guys being available way after they ought to be. If I had the time I’d run them both side by side and only pick kids available on both sims.
We may have a real chance to solidify our D for the next decade. This amount of picks is almost overwhelming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad