The 2022 NHL Draft Thread v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
At this point, I'd be happy with any of Wright, Slafkosvky, Jiricek, Nemec or Cooley.

I know we'll pick at least 3rd or better and although I'd like to win in order to pick Wright, any of the other guys on the list should significantly add to the existing core to make us better. Might not be next year (albeit everyone but Wright), but the following year they should be ready to contribute.
Same.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Also noteworthy that if we can pick up Miroshnichenko with one of our late 1st rounders, that would be quite the coup, getting a top 10 talent at the end of the 1st round.

Although, I highly doubt whether he lasts that long...I suspect that a team like Washington, Pittsburgh or Minnesota would take him, but if he can get by those 3 teams, I think he'll be there at 1 of our picks.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
A top 10 talent with a pretty major asterisk.
I kinda hope he's been picked before our Carolina slot, just so we don't have to debate the risk/reward of that decision.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
What if we ended up drafting Slafkovsky and then Bedard next year...

Slafkovsky - Bedard - Guenther

Is that too scary?

This is the exact reason why I'd be inclined to take him 1st. Especially cause it would make room to do
Keller-Bedard-Guenther
Slafkovsky-Papi Matthews-Doan

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
This is the exact reason why I'd be inclined to take him 1st. Especially cause it would make room to do
Keller-Bedard-Guenther
Slafkovsky-Papi Matthews-Doan
See, my head went here:

Slafkovsky - Bedard - Guenther
Keller - Matthews - Schmaltz
Maccelli - Hayton - Doan
Crouse - Smith - Jenik

Schmaltz is frustrating, but there is no denying the chemistry between him and Keller. He's our version of Bailey and I'm OK with that, especially if it keeps Keller happy and producing.

I'd also like to grab Ritchie if we could, gives us Matthews insurance.

Reactions: Grimes

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
After all the losing that we've done this season, being among the worst teams ever, we still have roughly only a 20% shot at landing Wright (we haven't clinched last place yet).

There's going to be more tank competition for Bedard next season. We're going to have to suck harder, just to have that slight chance of winning the lottery. I figure our odds for landing Bedard are between 5% and 7%.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
After all the losing that we've done this season, being among the worst teams ever, we still have roughly only a 20% shot at landing Wright (we haven't clinched last place yet).

There's going to be more tank competition for Bedard next season. We're going to have to suck harder, just to have that slight chance of winning the lottery. I figure our odds for landing Bedard are between 5% and 7%.
I've been working and getting home late the last month so I've missed a ton of games, but if we bring in a few more youths to play next season, with the proper vets, we'll still suck. Even after we draft Bedard (if we draft Bedard) we will be bad for 2-3 seasons after, where we can grab more players to develop.

NJ seems to be doing the slightly slower version of what many of us want. Seems like a good, current version of our desired progression. They have 3 solid C's in Mercer, Hughes, and Hischeir, promising defenseman, lack future goaltending (possibly), and are abundant in wingers. If we can do what they've done with bigger, more physical players and better goaltending, we're in a great position to becoming a perennial contender. Once NJ finishes development of its kids, they'll be a tough team.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I've been working and getting home late the last month so I've missed a ton of games, but if we bring in a few more youths to play next season, with the proper vets, we'll still suck. Even after we draft Bedard (if we draft Bedard) we will be bad for 2-3 seasons after, where we can grab more players to develop.

NJ seems to be doing the slightly slower version of what many of us want. Seems like a good, current version of our desired progression. They have 3 solid C's in Mercer, Hughes, and Hischeir, promising defenseman, lack future goaltending (possibly), and are abundant in wingers. If we can do what they've done with bigger, more physical players and better goaltending, we're in a great position to becoming a perennial contender. Once NJ finishes development of its kids, they'll be a tough team.

Yeah the NJ model should be a good outlook. They did a fairly aggressive tear down (moving Hall to AZ two years after he got the team to the Yoffs a d had a career year! Sounds kinda familiar) and had some big lotto luck. They seem to have had the Philly curse of constantly terrible goalie play ever since Marty retired and have been potentially a little too aggressive with signing vet defensemen instead of building out that position.

I think it breaks down to this though:
Wright >> Hischier
J Hughes >>Wright
Bedard >>>> J Hughes

And I even think Wright will have a quicker impact on the team that drafts him than both Hughes (looks elite but took two seasons) and His her (took three seasons to get to this level).

I'm hoping we will be where the Devil's are this season, where you clearly see a team that just needs 2-3 more pieces to be VERY competitive, in the 23-24 season rather than the 24-25 season. If we get the right guys we can be knocking on the playoff door in two years and making it in three

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'll try to stop nagging after this...
It's too early to include Wright and or Bedard in the rebuild plan. The odds of us landing either one are about 1 in 4 by my estimate. The odds of us landing both are about 1 in 100.
Hope is good. Hope is not a plan.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It's too early to include Wright and or Bedard in the rebuild plan. The odds of us landing either one are about 1 in 4 by my estimate. The odds of us landing both are about 1 in 100.
The rebuild starts with this draft. BA can rebuild centered on a high end center, wing or defenseman. It really doesn’t matter. What matters is the quality of the players who surround the one or two stars on the team.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Hope is my plan, because that's my fiancée's name lol.😂😂

But I'm inclined to agree here. Wright/Bedard would be amazing. But we should plan like we're not getting them and hope we get lucky and do.

Reactions: Grimes

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The plan isn’t to win the lottery. The plan is if we don’t win the lottery that we build this organization similar to how St Louis was built. Depth, size, work ethic. That’s why we have Armstrong. It’s for when we don’t have the easy path.
Agreed.

You don’t assemble an all-star scouting staff to pick 1st overall. I could do that. They hired who they hired to make the right pick, regardless of position.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
True BUT the Coyotes will draft no worse than 4th this year and likely no worse than 4th next year

2022= 1 of Wright, Slavkovsky, Cooley, Nemac or Jiricek
2023 = 1 of Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov, Ritchie or Yager

That is a good plan

Reactions: sundance74 and hbk

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think for 2023 we will probably be picking top 8. To be picking top 4 again I think Bill would have to pull some major tank moves, like trading away Chychrun, Ghost and Crouse. There's going to be other teams shamelessly tanking for a generational player.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think for 2023 we will probably be picking top 8. To be picking top 4 again I think Bill would have to pull some major tank moves, like trading away Chychrun, Ghost and Crouse. There's going to be other teams shamelessly tanking for a generational player.
Who are the Coyotes going to be better than?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I can live with a Nemec/Svejkovsky/Cooley and Fantilli plan.

Absolutely, I'm planning on this outcome. But it's really fun to post dream lines. Whenever I do it should have a built-in asterisks that indicates "Grimes woke up from a fever dream where BA went full Chayka and picked Mateychuk 2nd overall and now needs to post a ridiculous lineup to cleanse himself."

Reactions: MayDayMayDay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad