Prospect Info: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Parayko would be nice, but I wouldn't spend a dime to acquire him unless he comes with an extension and a clean bill of health.

Pulock I'm not sure if the NYI have a need to move him? Unless they think he won't extend with them I'm not sure he would be available. We'd need an extension as well to make it worthwhile.

Seider looks like an amazing prospect. For a team building like the Wings, I can't see any reason for them to trade him.

Pesce hasn't been someone the Canes have wanted to move, and if they don't re-sign Hamilton I can't see him being available.

Severson could be a decent add. Not sure if the Devils would move him or not.

Why do you question Parayko's health? Yes, would need an extension.

Pulock, I'm sure they wouldn't be going out of their way to move. But they are very strong at RHD and will have cap issues again. They need help at C and, to a lesser degree on wing. We could put together a package that might spring him loose. Again, would require an extension.

It is obvious that DRW would not move Seider cheaply. But they need everything, not just RHD. It would take a big offer to get their attention.

If Canes extend Hamilton, Pesce could become available. Otherwise not likely.

There has been talk of NJD moving Severson off and on for a couple of years, so they probably would. I don't know that he is the one we need. I wouldn't make the kind of offer that these others would get. If they insist on that kind of return, I would lose interest in a hurry.

Reactions: BatVader

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Colin Miller for Copp is not a good trade. I'm sure we could have had Miller for a 3rd or 4th round pick at TD.\

Gotta be careful with ex-Vegas Dmen... Vegas plays a good D system in a division that likes to open it up. Plus Fleury was on fire during his Vegas years.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's a thought. But if we are trading Copp I would rather bundle him with other pieces and aim higher, like Pulock, for example.
Pulock isn't likely on the market. Miller might be. He's a much more realistic trade target, I think.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Colin Miller for Copp is not a good trade. I'm sure we could have had Miller for a 3rd or 4th round pick at TD.\

Gotta be careful with ex-Vegas Dmen... Vegas plays a good D system in a division that likes to open it up. Plus Fleury was on fire during his Vegas years.
Miller was very good with Boston, and quite good in his first season with Buffalo. Basically, this season is the first down season in his career. There is no chance Miller was available for a 3rd or 4th. There would have been a long list of teams in on that.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Well the semantics surrounding the use of #1 for a Dman gets muddled around here. I would prefer one of those, but I can't insist on it. But I mean a true 1st pair RHD. Pionk is a fringe 1st pair D at best. I'm not ready to give up on Morrissey as a 1st pair D yet. I think there was an injury issue last year and there have been usage issues both last year and this. I'm not going to judge Morrissey as long as he is having to carry a 3rd pair D man on the top pair against the oppositions' best.

I certainly would not mind getting a top pair R/L Dynamic Duo :laugh: and pushing Morrissey down.

I'm not going to assume Heinola can do that yet and I don't know what we have in Samberg. I don't mind too much that Sam isn't scoring, but the reports are that his D play has been up and down too.

I'm not sure that Heinola and Pionk would be a good pairing. Using just the players we have on hand I would try:
Morrissey - Pionk
Heinola - DeMelo
Stanley - Poolman
Poolman is not much worse than bort yet Pionk has still been dominant no memory who he played with last year. Pionk has been better all season so if ur building around one guy. Even with demelo mo wasn’t dominant

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pulock isn't likely on the market. Miller might be. He's a much more realistic trade target, I think.

Much more easily traded for, yes. I don't think the better ones are less realistic. They are just more expensive. Maybe a lot more expensive. But I don't want to spend the assets on a player who isn't really what we need, just because he is perceived as being more available. He is more available because he isn't as good.

Is Miller a 1st pair Dman on a good team? No? Then why do we care what he would cost?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Poolman is not much worse than bort yet Pionk has still been dominant no memory who he played with last year. Pionk has been better all season so if ur building around one guy. Even with demelo mo wasn’t dominant

I don't know what point you are trying to make here. We don't have any Dman you can build a team around.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Use our 1st + Samberg + Vesa in an offer for Colton Parayko.
Blues are cap strapped, with a lot of upcoming UFAs and RFAs, and if they get bounced early, could likely do a mini rebuild, so they just might bite.
If that doesn’t work, offer up our 1st + to..
NYI for Pulock
DET for Seider
CAR for Pesce
NJD for Severson

Zero chance DET is moving Seider.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't know what point you are trying to make here. We don't have any Dman you can build a team around.
That if we are building a top line better to add to pionk hopefully in house. Then mo and demelo can be our 2nd line and poolman is good as a 3rd pairing d.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That if we are building a top line better to add to pionk hopefully in house. Then mo and demelo can be our 2nd line and poolman is good as a 3rd pairing d.

I think Pionk does so well because he gets the easier matchups. Morrissey eats a tonne of hard minutes freeing up Pionk to do his thing on the 2nd pair. Get Morrissey a strong partner and watch him rebound quickly. Hes dragging around anchors right now.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think Pionk does so well because he gets the easier matchups. Morrissey eats a tonne of hard minutes freeing up Pionk to do his thing on the 2nd pair. Get Morrissey a strong partner and watch him rebound quickly. Hes dragging around anchors right now.
I don’t know I just have what Garret said and I may blindly just following the analytics without seeing the nuance.
Even with Demelo morrissey wasnt exactly lights out. Hasn’t looked like a guy I’d say is top 10 in our division since Trouba no matter his partner.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don’t know I just have what Garret said and I may blindly just following the analytics without seeing the nuance.
Even with Demelo morrissey wasnt exactly lights out. Hasn’t looked like a guy I’d say is top 10 in our division since Trouba no matter his partner.

DeMelo didn't really start looking good until he was playing on the 3rd pairing either. His numbers have taken a hit but the entire teams numbers aren't great and we win in spite of them. That's been going on for a couple seasons now. No doubt Morrissey would look better with a better partner. Trouba and him were a great shutdown pair and Buff and him worked well because Buff is most effective when he can jump into the play and Morrissey is very effective when he can stay back and dictate the flow from behind him. Get Morrissey another partner on that level and watch him flourish. His game isn't really the type that is #1 all situations dman. He's more of a give me a good partner and I'll make them better than they would be without me. He's asked to take on the teams best night in and night out while dragging around DeMelo, who was absolute crap after coming back from his time off and Poolman who really just looks lost most of the time. Even when Morrissey and DeMelo were playing decently last year they still weren't an amazing pair at least to my eyes.

Morrissey thrives when he's given a good partner to work with, that is at least on his level of IQ.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
DeMelo didn't really start looking good until he was playing on the 3rd pairing either. His numbers have taken a hit but the entire teams numbers aren't great and we win in spite of them. That's been going on for a couple seasons now. No doubt Morrissey would look better with a better partner. Trouba and him were a great shutdown pair and Buff and him worked well because Buff is most effective when he can jump into the play and Morrissey is very effective when he can stay back and dictate the flow from behind him. Get Morrissey another partner on that level and watch him flourish. His game isn't really the type that is #1 all situations dman. He's more of a give me a good partner and I'll make them better than they would be without me. He's asked to take on the teams best night in and night out while dragging around DeMelo, who was absolute crap after coming back from his time off and Poolman who really just looks lost most of the time. Even when Morrissey and DeMelo were playing decently last year they still weren't an amazing pair at least to my eyes.

Morrissey thrives when he's given a good partner to work with, that is at least on his level of IQ.
Buff and Trouba make bad d look good, mo needs someone at his level.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
I am not getting too attached to our 1st Round Pick until actual draft night. Just have a baseless hunch it will get moved with Little going to Seattle similar to Columbus and the David Clarkson VGK trade.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I’m hoping Pesce in Carolina is available this summer. I think he’s the right type of player and age for this team.

I would move Copp+, but not a big +.

Morrissey-Pesce
Samberg-Pionk
Stanley/Heinola-DeMelo

Looks pretty balanced to me.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I am not getting too attached to our 1st Round Pick until actual draft night. Just have a baseless hunch it will get moved with Little going to Seattle similar to Columbus and the David Clarkson VGK trade.

Yeah this is another reason why I think we couldn't get a deal done. I dont think we were even including our 1st round pick in any offers. Chevy likely wants to keep everyone and is hoping to use it to entice Seattle to take on some salary in exchange for it. Though I'm guessing we will have to send them a B level prospect as well. Especially if its Little they take.

Reactions: WiscoJet

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Why do you question Parayko's health? Yes, would need an extension.

Pulock, I'm sure they wouldn't be going out of their way to move. But they are very strong at RHD and will have cap issues again. They need help at C and, to a lesser degree on wing. We could put together a package that might spring him loose. Again, would require an extension.

It is obvious that DRW would not move Seider cheaply. But they need everything, not just RHD. It would take a big offer to get their attention.

If Canes extend Hamilton, Pesce could become available. Otherwise not likely.

There has been talk of NJD moving Severson off and on for a couple of years, so they probably would. I don't know that he is the one we need. I wouldn't make the kind of offer that these others would get. If they insist on that kind of return, I would lose interest in a hurry.

Parayko has had back issues this season. Before I'd spend a lot of assets to acquire and then extend, I'd want a clean bill of health. A back injury could be something that lingers, I don't know.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I’m hoping Pesce in Carolina is available this summer. I think he’s the right type of player and age for this team.

I would move Copp+, but not a big +.

Morrissey-Pesce
Samberg-Pionk
Stanley/Heinola-DeMelo

Looks pretty balanced to me.

I bet there are many teams who would love to acquire a top pairing defenceman for a 1st and a middle six forward. That’s not a reasonable expectation.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yeah this is another reason why I think we couldn't get a deal done. I dont think we were even including our 1st round pick in any offers. Chevy likely wants to keep everyone and is hoping to use it to entice Seattle to take on some salary in exchange for it. Though I'm guessing we will have to send them a B level prospect as well. Especially if its Little they take.
It’s interesting fans probably think booboo has more negative value as little’s ltir doesn’t affect our cap space. For owners it’s still money going out.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I bet there are many teams who would love to acquire a top pairing defenceman for a 1st and a middle six forward. That’s not a reasonable expectation.
Wouldn’t surprise me if copp is scoring at the level of an average 2nd liner this season. I mean he is out scoring lots of top 6 guys this season like hall, Schwartz. He is great defensively. If we had to for the right top 6, young with term, we could add Samberg and or another 1st. So 2 1sts, Copp, who is looking like a top 6 forward even if on low end and a great prospect for a top pairing D.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

OK, but I don't think we have a LHD better than Morrissey in house. That could change if Morrissey really has become as bad as many here seem to think. Or if Heinola just turns out to be good enough to push Morrissey down. So far, he can't even get his foot in the door.

I also don't think Heinola and Pionk would be a good pair.

And I don't see Pionk as the solution at 1RHD. If Heinola can push Morrissey down, great. But we would still need a 1RHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad