Prospect Info: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This draft I will have less passion for than last draft. The OHL didn’t even play.......how the f*** are they going to figure this out. The problem is those kids all lost a development year. Some may never recover from missing a full season.........some will.

what a mess.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
This draft I will have less passion for than last draft. The OHL didn’t even play.......how the f*** are they going to figure this out. The problem is those kids all lost a development year. Some may never recover from missing a full season.........some will.

what a mess.
Yeah, feel pretty bad for the kids whose careers will be significantly impacted by this lost year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

what a mess.

I agree, I have no idea how scouts will sort this out. Feel bad for the kids and wish the PA would have allowed two drafts in 2021 to give the kids another year to show what they have.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I find unless we are picking high I find myself uninterested.

Though I love watching our picks grow.

Reactions: ps241

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Since the Jets kept their pick, who do you like at the draft? I see us picking a bit lower than last year, maybe in the 12-15 range.

Lambos would be cool. Winnipegger who plays for the ice. Ranked right around that range. Another LHD though.

Svozil played very good for the Czechs at the juniors

Ceulemans is a RHD, although I read reports that he has very poor hockey sense.

Raty was once thought of as the number one pick but his game has tailed off considerably, probably someone we don’t draft, but still, interesting.

Lots of Cs in the mid-first round of this draft and I’m usually a proponent of drafting BPA so this will be interesting.

(Note: I think there’s a decent chance we end up using our first on a defenseman should one come available post-XD, or we’ll use our first as part of a deal to get Seattle to take someone like Beaulieu).

I see the 31 to 32 range :naughty:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree, I have no idea how scouts will sort this out. Feel bad for the kids and wish the PA would have allowed two drafts in 2021 to give the kids another year to show what they have.

I'm guessing the PA asked the NHL to shave a year off their ELCs and the NHL refused. Though these kids dream of playing in the NHL make no mistake that they also dream about that next contract after their ELCs. In the end it's always about the money.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm guessing the PA asked the NHL to shave a year off their ELCs and the NHL refused. Though these kids dream of playing in the NHL make no mistake that they also dream about that next contract after their ELCs. In the end it's always about the money.

Yeah there would have been a lot of issues like ufa and service time to work out.

Reactions: BatVader and ps241

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah there would have been a lot of issues like ufa and service time to work out.

Yeah. I mean at least the WHL got in some games. And most of the kids who weren't playing OHL and WHL for a good portion or all of the season were playing in other leagues. This draft will be heavily video scouted. I'm guessing player interviews will be a lot more focused than in previous years as well.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah. I mean at least the WHL got in some games. And most of the kids who weren't playing OHL and WHL for a good portion or all of the season were playing in other leagues. This draft will be heavily video scouted. I'm guessing player interviews will be a lot more focused than in previous years as well.
I’m pretty stoked to still have our pick as I have confidence in our scouts to find a good player. I think we’ll be entering our window when Heinola and Samberg (and Perfetti) arrive, but another first will be a key player for us hopefully.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I always like talented C's in the 1st round because it's hard to get them later or in other ways.

Maybe Pinelli, Lucius or McTavish?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
u18s coming up that will determine a lot this draft and I hate short tourneys for drafting purposes

The draft seems to be all over the place so this draft will really show who is good or who is lucky take your pick

Looks like we are in that 15 to 32 range

From the guys I have actually watched this year from the WHL we could target

Logan Stankoven - Smallish skilled forward. Tons of speed and a great release/shot. Scoring machine 10 points 7 goals through 6 games so far this year. Will be at the u18s. Could increase his draft standing with a good performance there. He centers the 2nd line this year in Kamloops.

Connor Roulette - Skill forward very smart but an average skater. A riser for sure plays a bad team but is always driving play. Smart player on the ice the puck follows him around. He is likely in the early 2nd round territory but a good showing at the u18s could see him rise up. Smallish frame and not the best skater are the downsides

Ryder Korzack - A late birthday who in my mind drops to the 2nd round. He is a real good skater but I don't think he thinks the game the best. He lacks physical strength right now and I find he gets pushed around a bit out on the ice. He is a very good playmaker and a good passer. He is likely someone who would need to build up his strength to play in the NHL some day at an effective level

Eric Alaire - Strong power forward. Scoring winger who plays the game hard. Plays a similar game to Draisatl. Not the best skater needs to work on that. I was surprised he wasn't on the u18 team though his play deserved to be there. Another guy likely slotted in the 2nd but could rise.

Outside the 1st/2nd

Jake Chaisson - Scoring winger/center. Does everything well on the ice but isn't spectacular. Really has come on this season playing on a strong team. Very consistent game to game. I expect him to rise in the draft. Smart play and a real leader.

Colton Dach - Huge center/winger. Reminds me of Lowry when he was in the WHL. Not the best skater but he works hard and has good hands for a big guy. A project for sure but so was Lowry

Nolan Allan - Disappointing for me so far. The offense hasn't come and I expected more out of him. He was selected for the u18s but right now he is a defensive stalwart who moves the puck well but hasn't developed the offensive side of his game.

Olen Zellweger - Smallish offensive D man. Really smooth skating offensive D man. Made the u18s. Over a point per game. If he was taller he be a 1st round pick but someone to keep on an eye on

Zach Stringer - High end offensive power forward. Really good hockey IQ and hands. Average skater. Interesting guy to watch progress this year. Could be a bit of a darkhorse

Dru Krebs - Brother to Peyton. Smooth puck moving D man. Makes solid reads on the ice. Good skater. Not the biggest guy

Sebastien Cossa - The goalie they are talking about. 6'6 plays like a guy we all know and love(or hate after last nights game lol)

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I always like talented C's in the 1st round because it's hard to get them later or in other ways.

Maybe Pinelli, Lucius or McTavish?
But we are now stacked for c with schief, pld, Perfetti in wing. A guy who can score better than copp but can defend better than most of our top 6 at wing would be great.
Our d is adequate with
Samberg Pionk
Mo. De
Heinola. Xx
A partner for Heinola could be the need. We need wingers who can play top 6.
Kc. Schief. Ehlers
Perfetti pld. Xxx
Ves. Lowry. Apple
Harkins. Gus. Xxx
We need a wheeler replacement as he peters off.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

what a mess.
Wasn't there talk about foregoing this year's draft and then expanding the following year, or have 2 separate drafts at that time?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
But we are now stacked for c with schief, pld, Perfetti in wing. A guy who can score better than copp but can defend better than most of our top 6 at wing would be great.
Our d is adequate with
Samberg Pionk
Mo. De
Heinola. Xx
A partner for Heinola could be the need. We need wingers who can play top 6.
Kc. Schief. Ehlers
Perfetti pld. Xxx
Ves. Lowry. Apple
Harkins. Gus. Xxx
We need a wheeler replacement as he peters off.

A talented C can move over to wing a lot easier than a winger moving over to C (which I can't think of an example of).

I'd much rather draft a C over a W if they are close to equal.

IMO you can never have too many C's and D's in your system (RHD being a premium as well).

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
A talented C can move over to wing a lot easier than a winger moving over to C (which I can't think of an example of).

I'd much rather draft a C over a W if they are close to equal.

IMO you can never have too many C's and D's in your system (RHD being a premium as well).
While all those things are true I’d rather draft a big guy who is good at d who can play in top 6 than worry if he can play centre. After all kc and Ehlers are small. I’m hoping it’s easier to get a winger that fits that profile than asking that also play centre.
so if it’s a small guy who can play centre or a power forward who can only play winger I’d say go winger for our needs.
An example of a winger drafted and converted into a centre is pld.
You can never have too many Cs and Ds unless you are at school and while useful to stockpile our team does have specific needs. Which is not those things.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
For me Perfetti is the Key. If the Jets see him as a C, we're set with Sheif, PLD (if he signs long term)and Perfetti. Not sure sure if we will know this by the draft (where Cole fits in with the Jets)

I think C/Wing is pretty even in terms of need. I would say RD is the highest need over forward though. And unless its close to 100 percent certain Perfetti will be an NHL C, selecting a C at the draft trumps Wing if its a close call. (IMO)

Reactions: snowkiddin

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wasn't there talk about foregoing this year's draft and then expanding the following year, or have 2 separate drafts at that time?

Yea they discussed it but couldn’t come to an agreement.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The lack of games due to the pandemic has left me very excited for this draft.

A lot of very good prospects could fall to us.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would have been willing to put the 1st in play for TD upgrade on defence but now that the TD has came and went I’m glad we still have our 1st. Makes for a much more interesting run up to the entry draft.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don’t see forward as near of a need as RHD. It is more likely than not Perfetti ends up being a winger rather than a Center so he can step into a top 6 winger role.
Oh everyone who provides the moose reports talk bout how Perfetti is better at centre. Lhd we have mo, Samberg, Heinola
Rhd we have Pionk demelo poolman.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
While all those things are true I’d rather draft a big guy who is good at d who can play in top 6 than worry if he can play centre. After all kc and Ehlers are small. I’m hoping it’s easier to get a winger that fits that profile than asking that also play centre.
so if it’s a small guy who can play centre or a power forward who can only play winger I’d say go winger for our needs.
An example of a winger drafted and converted into a centre is pld.
You can never have too many Cs and Ds unless you are at school and while useful to stockpile our team does have specific needs. Which is not those things.

I would never go into any draft where I was drafting for need. Too much can happen between the time of the draft and when the players are ready. At his spot, Ehlers was a no brainer. It would only come down to it if there was an equivalent C and deciding between the 2.

PLD also played alot of center in junior before the NHL. He started on the wing on the BJ's, and then moved to C. Which is the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad