Prospect Info: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
How much of a problem is it going to be for determining the advancement of prospects when they aren't going to play that much before they are drafted? It could be an advantaged for us drafting at 32.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How much of a problem is it going to be for determining the advancement of prospects when they aren't going to play that much before they are drafted? It could be an advantaged for us drafting at 32.

Draft is likely going to be postponed until next year. So the NHL will have 2 drafts, one for 2021, another for 2022. If anything it's going to give us a much better look at development.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Draft is likely going to be postponed until next year. So the NHL will have 2 drafts, one for 2021, another for 2022. If anything it's going to give us a much better look at development.

Apologize if this has been brought up but what do you do about the few guys that are NHL ready next year?

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Pronman’s new top 31 just dropped on The Athletic.

Interesting that Luke Hughes jumped to 1 (prev. 8), Matthew Beniers up to 2 (prev. 5) Carson Lambos dropped to 29 (prev. 6). Hughes and Beniers in a tier of bubble all-star/top line or pairing player, while Owen Power at 3 is in a tier of top pairing player.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Pronman’s new top 31 just dropped on The Athletic.

Interesting that Luke Hughes jumped to 1 (prev. 8), Matthew Beniers up to 2 (prev. 5) Carson Lambos dropped to 29 (prev. 6). Hughes and Beniers in a tier of bubble all-star/top line or pairing player, while Owen Power at 3 is in a tier of top pairing player.

Hughes is pretty insane. Same skill and skating as his brothers yet 6'2, 175. Beniers to me seems like a safe pick to be an NHLer, not sure I'd have him that high.
Lambos was tearing up Liiga U18, promoted to U20 and tore it up there, then just recently promoted to Liiga where he's averaged about 7 minutes a game in 2 contests.

Reactions: None

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Hughes is pretty insane. Same skill and skating as his brothers yet 6'2, 175. Beniers to me seems like a safe pick to be an NHLer, not sure I'd have him that high.
Lambos was tearing up Liiga U18, promoted to U20 and tore it up there, then just recently promoted to Liiga where he's averaged about 7 minutes a game in 2 contests.
I’m really curious to see how Luke stacks up against Quinn based on the additional 3” and weight.

His gripe with Lambos was mainly about offensive upside. Credits his fast skating and elusiveness, though

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I’m really curious to see how Luke stacks up against Quinn based on the additional 3” and weight.

His gripe with Lambos was mainly about offensive upside. Credits his fast skating and elusiveness, though

Yeah that's odd considering he was almost PPG in U20, before being promoted.

Honestly I think Luke is better than Quinn. Quinn is an absolute tire fire in his own zone. Luke actually has some defensive aspects to his game.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Keep an eye on another Winnipegger, Connor Roulette. He's a buddy's kid and should go anywhere from late first to mid second round. He can play.

Reactions: snowkiddin

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Bump

NHL board of governors approves changes to the draft lottery system that will be phased in over 2021-22 summary in the Athletic:

The changes are:
  • The number of lottery draws was reduced from three to two, so the last-place team, therefore, can’t draft any lower than No. 3 overall (starting in 2021).
  • The maximum number of places a lottery winner can move up is limited to 10 spots, so only 11 teams can win the No. 1 pick, instead of 16 (starting in 2022).
  • No team can win the lottery more than twice in a five-year period (starting in 2022).

Reactions: kellhunter

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Bump

NHL board of governors approves changes to the draft lottery system that will be phased in over 2021-22 summary in the Athletic:

The changes are:
  • The number of lottery draws was reduced from three to two, so the last-place team, therefore, can’t draft any lower than No. 3 overall (starting in 2021).
  • The maximum number of places a lottery winner can move up is limited to 10 spots, so only 11 teams can win the No. 1 pick, instead of 16 (starting in 2022).
  • No team can win the lottery more than twice in a five-year period (starting in 2022).
I remember one of the national reporters - think it was Friedman - mentioned the word “move” instead of “win” was being considered. That’s significant in that if a team places dead last and wins the lottery, they aren’t moving out of their spot. So they can still technically win the lottery two more times in the following four years.

I don’t know if this was ever decided, but it was definitely mentioned.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Can we trade all of our 2021 and 2022 picks and try to load up on as many 2023 1st round picks as we can? :sarcasm:

Not being serious, but wow is Connor Bedard ever looking good for a 15 year old just starting to play in the WHL.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
BE BAD BOR BEDARD 2023!

Seriously whoever gets him has a McDavid/Crosby

On the 2021 draft. Been watching some Wheat King games will comment on some of the players that caught my eye

Nolan Ritchie - Had an awful injury last year otherwise he gets drafted. He has picked up where he left off. Just a little dynamo offensive player. Top 10 in scoring. Plays center. I think if he keeps playing this way he goes in the 2nd round but don't sleep on him that is for sure

Jake Chiasson - Really good start to his draft year over a PPG. 5 goals on 13 shots on net. Has a great shot and release needs to use it more. Very defensively responsible player. With this year being the way it is I can see him sneaking into that late 1st round range. He is a right wing also. Got a nice big frame also and skates really well

Vincent Iorio - Big bodied right shot D man late birthday. Going to play a lot this year and I think they expect a lot from him Got off to a slow start but has started to really play well. Scored an end to end beauty last night. 5 points through 10 games so far. I think he falls in that 3rd to 5th range depending on his offensive game

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
BE BAD BOR BEDARD 2023!

On the 2021 draft. Been watching some Wheat King games will comment on some of the players that caught my eye

Nolan Ritchie - Had an awful injury last year otherwise he gets drafted. He has picked up where he left off. Just a little dynamo offensive player. Top 10 in scoring. Plays center. I think if he keeps playing this way he goes in the 2nd round but don't sleep on him that is for sure

Jake Chiasson - Really good start to his draft year over a PPG. 5 goals on 13 shots on net. Has a great shot and release needs to use it more. Very defensively responsible player. With this year being the way it is I can see him sneaking into that late 1st round range. He is a right wing also. Got a nice big frame also and skates really well

Vincent Iorio - Big bodied right shot D man late birthday. Going to play a lot this year and I think they expect a lot from him Got off to a slow start but has started to really play well. Scored an end to end beauty last night. 5 points through 10 games so far. I think he falls in that 3rd to 5th range depending on his offensive game
Ya, Bedard looks crazy good man..

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
BE BAD BOR BEDARD 2023!

Jets have shown a willingness to use picks on big RD and I like it. We'll never find the next Byfuglien but we might find the next Weber or Parayko. Ioro might be worth a shot.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Jets have shown a willingness to use picks on big RD and I like it. We'll never find the next Byfuglien but we might find the next Weber or Parayko. Ioro might be worth a shot.
I’d be very happy with a next Parayko... hell I’d take the current Parayko... might be out right now, but next season would be looking good with him on our top pair.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Since the Jets kept their pick, who do you like at the draft? I see us picking a bit lower than last year, maybe in the 12-15 range.

Lambos would be cool. Winnipegger who plays for the ice. Ranked right around that range. Another LHD though.

Svozil played very good for the Czechs at the juniors

Ceulemans is a RHD, although I read reports that he has very poor hockey sense.

Raty was once thought of as the number one pick but his game has tailed off considerably, probably someone we don’t draft, but still, interesting.

Lots of Cs in the mid-first round of this draft and I’m usually a proponent of drafting BPA so this will be interesting.

(Note: I think there’s a decent chance we end up using our first on a defenseman should one come available post-XD, or we’ll use our first as part of a deal to get Seattle to take someone like Beaulieu).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Since the Jets kept their pick, who do you like at the draft? I see us picking a bit lower than last year, maybe in the 12-15 range.

Lambos would be cool. Winnipegger who plays for the ice. Ranked right around that range. Another LHD though.

Svozil played very good for the Czechs at the juniors

Ceulemans is a RHD, although I read reports that he has very poor hockey sense.

Raty was once thought of as the number one pick but his game has tailed off considerably, probably someone we don’t draft, but still, interesting.

Lots of Cs in the mid-first round of this draft and I’m usually a proponent of drafting BPA so this will be interesting.

(Note: I think there’s a decent chance we end up using our first on a defenseman should one come available post-XD, or we’ll use our first as part of a deal to get Seattle to take someone like Beaulieu).

We are guaranteed to make the playoffs so won't be picking until roughly 17 at earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad