Prospect Info: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We’ve seen pretty hefty jumps in recent years.

Oilers jumped a fair bit to land McDavid. Us with Laine. Philly with Patrick. Rangers now with Lafreniere. Heiskanen to Dallas was a big lottery jump too IIRC.

I understand the purpose of the lottery but crap like that was/is happening far too often.

Over a large sample it will match the lottery ball odds. But in any one year, the worst odds could win.

Oilers finished the season in 3rd place from the bottom, jumped up 2 for McD. No big deal.
We were in 6th place when we jumped up to 2. Again, not all that much of a jump.
Philly was in 12th place and jumped to #2. That is pretty big. But if you don't want teams in 12th to jump up 10 spots, don't give them a lottery ticket.
Dallas was in 7th place and jumped to 3rd. You should probably expect a jump of that size most years. That year had that one plus the much bigger Philly jump.
Rangers getting Laf was a huge jump and that will happen occasionally.

The lottery is to discourage tanking. If you don't like the way some teams have jumped up, make some changes. But not the ones being made. Limit the lottery to 12 teams instead of 16. Readjust the odds so that those last 4 teams have an even lower chance of winning. Then be ready for the 12th place team to win it occasionally. Don't overreact to a small sample.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just did a simulated draft on draft prospects hockey simulator. Went with McKenzie rankings for the base and what I thought would make for more realistic picks. Had picks 21, 53, 85 and 149. Here's how it played out..

21: Carson Lambos - LD - 6'1 - 201

Bit surprised but also not surprised that Lambos was there. Snagged him for the first major Winnipeger to be taken by the Jets. Has to work on his skating but he's a smart player with good positional awareness at both ends of the ice and a big shot.

53: Roman Schmidt - RD - 6'5 - 205

This was a bit of a swing for the fences pick. Showed a lot of promise with the Don Mills program in bantam. Hasn't really found a place in the NTDP offensively. Going to Boston U. next year so figured he might be a solid Buff type replacement down the line if he can improve on his game. Kind of kid you leave in University for a couple years to slow cook and then get him on the Moose for even more slow cooking. Won't solve our problems out of the gate but his game is very defence first, big body, clear the net, great first pass, booming shot types that could factor in down the line if he doesn't find that offensive touch he once had.

85: Olivier Nadeau - RW - 6'2 - 205

Big in your face power forward right winger from Shawinigan in the Q. Very strong along the boards, really hard to knock off the puck and loves playing in front of the net. Needs to work on his skating but he can gain some more explosiveness and work on his foot work he could be a force at the NHL level. Loves to hit everything in site too. Seems like the perfect RW for someone like Dubois or Lowry to work with.

149: Owen Bartoszkiewicz - G - 6'2 - 190

Went back to the NAHL well to get a highly touted goalie, same league we got Hellebuyck from. Kid is an absolute gamer and has been carrying his team on his back all season, similar to another goalie we know. He's flying under the radar and hasn't even committed to a school yet. He faces an enormous workload and leads all rookie goalies in the league in wins, shots against, saves, shutouts and minutes. And also leads the league in shots against and saves and is 2nd in wins, shutouts and minutes.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Just did a simulated draft on draft prospects hockey simulator. Went with McKenzie rankings for the base and what I thought would make for more realistic picks. Had picks 21, 53, 85 and 149. Here's how it played out..

21: Carson Lambos - LD - 6'1 - 201

Bit surprised but also not surprised that Lambos was there. Snagged him for the first major Winnipeger to be taken by the Jets. Has to work on his skating but he's a smart player with good positional awareness at both ends of the ice and a big shot.

53: Roman Schmidt - RD - 6'5 - 205

This was a bit of a swing for the fences pick. Showed a lot of promise with the Don Mills program in bantam. Hasn't really found a place in the NTDP offensively. Going to Boston U. next year so figured he might be a solid Buff type replacement down the line if he can improve on his game. Kind of kid you leave in University for a couple years to slow cook and then get him on the Moose for even more slow cooking. Won't solve our problems out of the gate but his game is very defence first, big body, clear the net, great first pass, booming shot types that could factor in down the line if he doesn't find that offensive touch he once had.

85: Olivier Nadeau - RW - 6'2 - 205

Big in your face power forward right winger from Shawinigan in the Q. Very strong along the boards, really hard to knock off the puck and loves playing in front of the net. Needs to work on his skating but he can gain some more explosiveness and work on his foot work he could be a force at the NHL level. Loves to hit everything in site too. Seems like the perfect RW for someone like Dubois or Lowry to work with.

149: Owen Bartoszkiewicz - G - 6'2 - 190

Went back to the NAHL well to get a highly touted goalie, same league we got Hellebuyck from. Kid is an absolute gamer and has been carrying his team on his back all season, similar to another goalie we know. He's flying under the radar and hasn't even committed to a school yet. He faces an enormous workload and leads all rookie goalies in the league in wins, shots against, saves, shutouts and minutes. And also leads the league in shots against and saves and is 2nd in wins, shutouts and minutes.
Only four picks again, eh. Let’s stop trading our mid-round picks for garbage rentals!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wright, Bedard and Michkov looking absolutely dominant at the U18's. It's to bad Savoie couldn't be there, I think he's likely on the Hlinka squad if the tournament goes on though. Some really ncie drafts on the horizon.

Bedard is a McDavid level talent, would love to get him but I can't see us sucking enough in the next few years to even have a chance at him.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I've been keeping my eye on Ceulemans for a long time as I just thought he might be there around where the Jets pick.

Another thought, if we used Button's list as a rough guide, baring any big fallers, I wonder about the concept of drafting 6'6" goalie Sebastian Cossa as well. From a timeline perspective it could fit as Cossa isn't likely even ready to be a backup for probably 4 years, which would be when Helle is 31.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I've been keeping my eye on Ceulemans for a long time as I just thought he might be there around where the Jets pick.

Another thought, if we used Button's list as a rough guide, baring any big fallers, I wonder about the concept of drafting 6'6" goalie Sebastian Cossa as well. From a timeline perspective it could fit as Cossa isn't likely even ready to be a backup for probably 4 years, which would be when Helle is 31.

We definitely need another high end goalie in the pipeline. As of now the best 2 we have are Berdin and Holm, both of who both best care ontario to be backups at the nhl level. It would be tough to burn a 1st on a goalie but I guess this year might be the best time to do it.

Ramland 07

Apr 10, 2019

Wouldn't hate it if we took Cossa

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Think we're locked in at #19 now.

Looks like a decent spot to pick.
Arizona has a forfeited pick though, don’t they? In that case Winnipeg would gain a spot to 18th pick.

Edit: can’t St. Louis also catch Winnipeg? So I think Winnipeg will pick 17th or 18th in the draft? (Assuming the don’t win the North in playoffs)

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

What can you tell me about Ceulemans?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
What can you tell me about Ceulemans?

Honestly not a ton. I won't pretend to have seen him a whole lot (don't think a lot have considering the league he played in). As soon as some of the early lists came out and I saw him in the 20's I've just been researching him and then watched him in the U18's. (So by long time I'm talking more like this year lol) He's good pretty good size, a good skater, and is a RHD. I thought he looked pretty good at the U18's. It's tough to judge players out of the AJHL, so how he develops in Wisconsin will be huge. Seems from a tools perspective anyway that he could project to a top 4 minute munching 2 way D.

I'm not a draft for need guy, I'd still look for the best player, but all things being equal I don't mind the organization putting an emphasis on Centers and RHD as they are extremely hard to acquire.

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Arizona has a forfeited pick though, don’t they? In that case Winnipeg would gain a spot to 18th pick.

Edit: can’t St. Louis also catch Winnipeg? So I think Winnipeg will pick 17th or 18th in the draft? (Assuming the don’t win the North in playoffs)
You're right on both accounts. I was only interested in bumping the thread and had only an inkling about Arizona and St. Louis.

Reactions: drumzan

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't advocate drafting for position, but looking at the Jets pipeline, a couple of gaps stand out...

RD with offense and a shot - The Jets really lack anyone in the system that can generate offense from RD, and they really could use a D with a big shot. Heinola will generate offense, but he's not a scoring threat. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think every team can use a D that can bring the heat on his shot. Maybe Ceulemans is an option.

RW offense - with Wheeler aging, the Jets could use some top end scoring talent at RW. I hope Torgersson will bring some potential there, but it's a gap even with Ehlers over on RW.

Reactions: BatVader

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't advocate drafting for position, but looking at the Jets pipeline, a couple of gaps stand out...

RD with offense and a shot - The Jets really lack anyone in the system that can generate offense from RD, and they really could use a D with a big shot. Heinola will generate offense, but he's not a scoring threat. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think every team can use a D that can bring the heat on his shot. Maybe Ceulemans is an option.

RW offense - with Wheeler aging, the Jets could use some top end scoring talent at RW. I hope Torgersson will bring some potential there, but it's a gap even with Ehlers over on RW.

If Perfetti makes it as a 1C you could move Scheifele over to wing like what Tampa did with Stamkos when Point took over the 1C role.

But I this organization knows how to draft skilled wingers so I wouldn't be dissapointed with grabbing a talented RW.

I am warming up to Ceulemans as a good RD prospect the more I hear and read about him.

Reactions: snowkiddin

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm not suggesting that Ceulemans is the next Moritz Seider but I do believe that big RD tend to get picked higher than expected on draft day. I'd love to get him but expect he'll be gone before we pick.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
St Louis won last night so they’re tied with Winnipeg in points, but Winnipeg has more ROW. Both Winnipeg and St Louis have 1 game remaining. If St Louis gains 1 more point in standings than Winnipeg, Winnipeg will move to 18th in standings (17th draft pick - due to Arizona forfeiting). In other words the Jets will either be picking 17 or 18 depending on outcome of theirs/STL’s last game. That’s assuming they don’t make a miraculous playoff run, obviously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad