NFL: The 2021 NFL Season: News, Notes, and Other Stupid Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
you have to wonder what would have been had he not held out in Pittsburgh...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not much in terms of where he would be performing now I would think. Guy would continue to get his body beat up that he’d be a shadow of his former self. Steelers gave him what like 20 plus touches a game in his final 2 years with them? In addition to all the blocking in blitz pickups.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I wonder how many more times he will have to wash out before the league realizes he is cooked
I wonder if a guy like him benefits from having been around the league long enough a coach knows you can bring him in on an emergency basis and trust he'll pick up what you need him to do to be ready to play right away. And with so many dudes out hurt or with covid, the pickings are getting very slim.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
it worked out for both sides in the end. he held out for more guaranteed money and got it, which sure came in handy considering his production completely fell off once he left pittsburgh. and the steelers got out of potentially being stuck with a bad contract since bell probably wouldn't have kept up his 2014-17 level of play for much longer

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
it worked out for both sides in the end. he held out for more guaranteed money and got it, which sure came in handy considering his production completely fell off once he left pittsburgh. and the steelers got out of potentially being stuck with a bad contract since bell probably wouldn't have kept up his 2014-17 level of play for much longer
The Steelers as we heard through the Watt negotiations have never done guaranteed money past 1 year. So, just taking the Steelers offer is basically Bell taking 1 year deals.

He got 2 years of guaranteed money via the Jets.

looking at the Cook, McCaffery deals they both got the equivalent of 2 years average salary guaranteed. McCaffery has the potential to get up to $38 mill in Total guarantees but guaranteed at signing was $31 mill or so.

unlike the most recent 2 Bell didn’t have any term left in his deal so he would have burned through 2 years by the time he finished year 1 with the Jets. If he got the same structure of the other 2 he would have been on basically 1 year deals for years 3 onwards. If there’s a drop Pitt has the option to cut him.
But I’m sure once guys get out of the guaranteed years they try to get more guaranteed in a contract restructure.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

But he also had an entire year without pay, he gave up around 14 mil for the tag if I remember correctly

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
But he also had an entire year without pay, he gave up around 14 mil for the tag if I remember correctly
It was a 1 year deal where he would have taken another 400 touches/blitz pickup before he could be a free agent. 6 years in the league with the last 3 with high usage. He probably doesn’t get the 2 years equivalent of guaranteed money deal after that.

Reactions: Voight

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
It was a 1 year deal where he would have taken another 400 touches/blitz pickup before he could be a free agent. 6 years in the league with the last 3 with high usage. He probably doesn’t get the 2 years equivalent of guaranteed money deal after that.

He has made 30 mil total since leaving the Steelers, if he plays on the tag he only needs to make 16 to be in the same spot he is now, assuming he has a decent season with the Steelers that shouldn't be that hard, he blew it by throwing away that year, that is a year of his prime he made nothing and came back after a year off a different player in a worse situation

He also reportedly turned down a 70M deal with the Steelers, obviously not all guaranteed but he would have gotten as much in 2 years as he has gotten since he left

Le'Veon Bell reportedly turned down a monstrous $70 million deal from the Steelers

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He has made 30 mil total since leaving the Steelers, if he plays on the tag he only needs to make 16 to be in the same spot he is now, assuming he has a decent season with the Steelers that shouldn't be that hard, he blew it by throwing away that year, that is a year of his prime he made nothing and came back after a year off a different player in a worse situation

He also reportedly turned down a 70M deal with the Steelers, obviously not all guaranteed but he would have gotten as much in 2 years as he has gotten since he left

Le'Veon Bell reportedly turned down a monstrous $70 million deal from the Steelers
Devil is always in the details with nfl deals. It comes down to risk for nfl players. It’s a brutal sport and serious injuries Can and do occur. Players, especially those non high first rounders want to get a couple of years guaranteed on their second contract.

Bud Dupree was a first rounder by Pitt. Played on the 5th year option then on the tag. Tore his acl last season. Ended up signing with the Titans in the off season. Bell gets hurt in year 1 like Dupree did on the tag he’d likely get cut given the way Pitt has structured their deals up to the TJ Watt contract earlier this year.

7 seasons of actual play Bell probably earns the same amount as the more wear and tear on him the less likely another team pays for his services. I see the same with Henry. Doubt another team would consider dropping $15 mill per on him if he was due to be a free agent given his usage the last couple of seasons.

Taylor for the Colts better prepare to do what it takes to get paid after year 3 as a 2nd rounder.

Last edited:

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I wonder if a guy like him benefits from having been around the league long enough a coach knows you can bring him in on an emergency basis and trust he'll pick up what you need him to do to be ready to play right away. And with so many dudes out hurt or with covid, the pickings are getting very slim.
Fringe players/formerly good players turned fringe players who can digest a playbook quickly are always in demand.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Fringe players/formerly good players turned fringe players who can digest a playbook quickly are always in demand.
The thing that keeps teams from keeping guys like that in the roster is special teams. Vets like Bell and Peterson don’t cover kicks which backups typically do. That’s why they are mostly signed off the couch as the saying goes.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Jones i can kinda understand since the QB class isn't looking too hot, he looked okay this year and they have pressing needs elsewhere, but why in god's name do they feel they need to see more from Joe Judge?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jones i can kinda understand since the QB class isn't looking too hot, he looked okay this year and they have pressing needs elsewhere, but why in god's name do they feel they need to see more from Joe Judge?
Because Bryce Young isn’t eligible for another year and you’re gonna need to tank to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad